Review The Tomb of the Cybermen (1967)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Last edited:

Doctor Omega

As a kid, I fell in love with this story and that wrong blue cover above caused me to populate the story with those particular Cybernen who had BOOMING VOICES IN CAPITALS and where the ice was real ice and the transformation of Toberman was terrifying body horror.

The first inkling I had that this story might be very different from the book was mainly this issue of Doctor Who monthly......

DWM54.jpg

.... which had a range of photos from it.

And then I heard that it was lost, seemingly forever.

And then it turned up.

DWB_99-1.jpg

And I quickly snatched up the vhs....

v74_thetombofthecybermen1.png

While I enjoyed it on it's own merits, it simply was not the horrific and literally chilling underground ice nightmare of the tomb in the book and my own imagination.

And shaving foam coming out of the Cybermen's chest units? Really?

So, for me, there will always be two Tombs, largely thanks to that damn cover error. :emoji_alien:

Just like the cover error of THE MOONBASE.

$_58.JPG

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
While I enjoyed it on it's own merits, it simply was not the horrific and literally chilling underground ice nightmare of the tomb in the book and my own imagination.
I agree that the filmed episodes don't live up to promise of the book. I think that's true of a lot of the stories really, at least those that had good quality novelisations done. Free from the constraints of budgets and special effects limitations, the books gave full reign to the imagination inherent to the stories. For me, who hadn't seen any of the first three Doctors when I first started buying the novelisations, many of the televised episodes don't live up to the standards I'd imagined.

Doctor Omega

The-Tomb-of-the-Cybermen-RSD-2018.jpg

Exclusive to RSD 2018, The Tomb Of The Cybermen is a classic Doctor Who story from 1967 featuring the second Doctor Patrick Troughton. Previously unreleased on vinyl, the story is two hours long spread across 2LP heavyweight silver vinyl, and featuring newly commissioned gatefold artwork, sleeve notes and on set photos.

The Doctor faces the dreaded Cybermen in the digitally remastered soundtrack of the classic BBC TV story, with linking narration by Frazer Hines. It has legendary status amongst Whovians as the serial was believed lost for many years until discovered in Hong Kong in 1992.The action of The Tomb of the Cybermen follows directly on from that of the preceding serial The Evil of the Daleks, with the Doctor and Jamie welcoming the newly orphaned Victoria aboard the TARDIS. Commissioned as Doctor Who and the Cybermen Planet, this was the third encounter between the Doctor and his half-human, half-machine foes. It was co-written by Kit Pedler, who devised the Cybermen in The Tenth Planet, and Gerry Davis, the story editor who had helped develop them.

This is limited to 3000 units worldwide.