Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Unless they can come up with a way to get rid of DISCOVERY too!
Maybe I'm just an optimist but I'm still holding out hope for Discovery.

And maybe the rumours that they're bringing back Chris Hemsworth for ST4 are indicating that they're going to time travel and revert history to the original timeline? One can only hope.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I think that the franchise is being run into the ground.

And I don't think that Star Trek 4 with Pine or Quinto will be happening at all.

A serious rethink of the whole franchise is needed i.m.o.

Doctor Omega

The hair doesn't sell it well. I assume that he would have had a more Spockian trim by the time filming rolled around.

At least, I hope so! :emoji_alien:

I feel sorry for the poor actor though. In the end he had to fire himself! Right up to the approach of filming THE MOTION PICTURE Roddenberry, the coward, was reassuring him that he and his character were still gonna be an important part of the movie. David Gatreaux finally had to say to Gene that he did not want to just turn up holding Spock's luggage and suggested they let him go.

Nice that he had a little bit part as Commander Branch though.

Doctor Omega

star_trek_planet_of_the_titans_by_sumbuddyx-d5lrzno.jpg

Star Trek: Planet of the Titans, also known as Star Trek: Planet of Titans, is an unproduced film based on Star Trek, which reached the script and design phases of pre-production.

Following the success of Star Trek: The Original Series in broadcast syndication during the early 1970s and the popularity of the series at science fiction conventions, Paramount Studios made several attempts to produce a feature film based upon the series.

In 1975, Star Trek: The God Thing was proposed by franchise creator Gene Roddenberry but was not picked up by the studio.

The following year, pre-production began again on a film with a treatment called Planet of the Titans and subsequent script produced by British writers Chris Bryant and Allan Scott with the intention of keeping costs down by filming in the United Kingdom.

There were difficulties in ensuring that both William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy were signed to the film as Shatner's deal with Paramount had expired and Nimoy was concerned with unauthorized merchandising.

Philip Kaufman was signed up to direct, after several others were asked first.

The plot would have seen the crew investigating the homeworld of the mythical Titans, and in escaping through a black hole are hurled into the prehistoric past where they teach early man how to make fire.

After their script was rejected, Bryant and Scott quit, and Kaufman created a new script treatment, but it too was rejected, and the project was killed on May 8, 1977, some two weeks before the release of Star Wars.

Various reasons have been cited for the cancellation, including regime change at Paramount, and that executives thought they had missed their window due to Star Wars' imminent release, believing science fiction fans would not pay to see two such films.

Paramount immediately changed course and launched a plan to take Star Trek back to television via a new TV network as Star Trek: Phase II.

Doctor Omega

In 2010, Harve Bennett gave his response to J.J. Abrams' Movie and Recalled the Star Trek VI that we almost got....

stacad-ks.jpg

Did you all see Star Trek recently? Does anyone want to know what I think of it? You now now know enough about me to know I honor tradition, that may make me a conservative film maker. They lost me when they put the Grand Canyon in Iowa.

I must add my bias. The last thing I did at Paramount before I left – wasn’t fired, I just said "no more." We had a script called The Academy Years – it was a prequel. It was Kirk and Spock aged seventeen entering Starfleet Academy. Kirk falls in love for the only time in his life. The cadets save the world. The premise of the film was racial tension. Spock becomes the first green-blood to enter the Academy, which is a red-blooded organization, and he is discriminated against. And there was a planetary cabal against green-bloods and the cadets at the Academy are the ones that save the day. Kirk’s love is killed heroically saving the planet from the ship. We had a great script and we had a location. If you are going to shoot Starfleet Academy in the 23rd century what should it look like? You may disagree with my choice, but the choice that we made and negotiated for was Washington and Lee University in the Shenandoah Valley. An ivy-covered Harvard on a river, and our logic was Harvard, MIT, Stanford – these are universities that have been there for hundreds of years. You can always build a laboratory building, a space hanger, stuff that brings it into the space age. But academically, we wanted it to be forever. Something that will always be there.

And the first sequence of that movie was Jim Kirk in a crop duster biplane, stunting about while his brother and his mother are "Jim, you wild ass – set down!" And he finally ends up crashing into a haystack. And it starts Iowa 2315. This picture starts in Iowa 2315, and then it becomes a crazy futuristic motorcycle thing and a dive into the Grand Canyon, and so that is my response to that movie.

When you blow up Vulcan and kill Spock’s mother, you are making a movie that I would never make, but it did make huge business and it created Star Trek for a new generation that likes big action and special effects and ‘bang bang’. So I think JJ Abrams succeeded in what he was trying to do

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I like the fact that he knows "God" is fake because the Almighty doesn't recognise HIM!

And later too, when he says: "Maybe God's right here Bones!" and points at himself! :emoji_alien:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I like the fact that he knows "God" is fake because the Almighty doesn't recognise HIM!
Especially considering how long he's been appearing in films and on TV.
And later too, when he says: "Maybe God's right here Bones!" and points at himself!
Would now be a good time to tell you that the word "kirk" means church or temple?

I hate to say it, but perhaps he had a point...

Doctor Omega

Welcome to the Most Holy-n- High Church of the Blinding Light of the Holy Glowing™ Form of the One Toupeed and Gloriously Bloated Shatner!

http://www.shatnerology.com/

suspend3.gif

Don't let the flattering name fool you. This thing roasts me, skewers me, and teases me without mercy every single day of the year. It's also really funny, and incredibly well put together.

William Shatner, Get A Life, Page 232