Review Twice Upon a Time (2017)

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
It looks okay but I've been fooled so many times before by Moffat's lousy writing! But as it's to be my last viewing of a New Doctor Who episode I'd better be prepared with whisky and Pringles!
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Jodie Whittaker is "funny from the off" in her first Doctor Who scene, reveals Steven Moffat

"She put a smile on my face immediately."

Outgoing Doctor Who showrunner has seen Jodie Whittaker's debut as the Doctor, and says that she is "funny from the off".

While he was not present for the filming of the Doctor's regeneration scene for the Christmas special, after watching a preview the showrunner had nothing but praise for Peter Capaldi's successor in the TARDIS.

"It's slightly strange and very, very good," he recalled of watching the scene to Doctor Who Magazine

"Jodie put a smile on my face immediately. She was funny from the off. I thought that was great."

He added: "I must be honest, everyone's watching for the last minute, and people are going to absolutely love Jodie.

"Then they'll notice that, at the same time, they miss Peter, but it's not like it'll be a grieving process. Or rather, with a new Doctor, it's always grieving and falling in love simultaneously."

Doctor Omega

Doctor Who cast predict BOOBS joke on Christmas Day special

THE Doctor Who crew are taking bets on whether new Time Lord Jodie Whittaker jokes about having boobs in the Christmas Day special.

Millions will tune into Twice Upon A Time as in the closing moments Peter Capaldi regenerates into a female Doctor.

It is the first time in the show’s 54-year history that the role has been played by a woman.

The regeneration scene was filmed in secret and kept under wraps until it airs on December 25.

But previously, the Docs have always made jokes about their new appearance – David Tennant commented on his “new teeth”, Matt Smith moaned he “still wasn’t ginger” and Peter Capaldi didn’t like “the colour of his new kidneys”.

Now crew members are placing bets among themselves over what comic comments Jodie will come out with.

Show runner Steven Moffat has teased that fans will be laughing when she arrives.

He tells the new Doctor Who Magazine: “Jodie put a smile on my face immediately. She was funny from the off. I thought that was great.”

So crew are guessing she may come out with: “I’ve got two Dalek eyes on my chest!” or “Where’s my sonic screwdriver gone?”

Steven reckons the festive episode will must-see TV, saying: “Everyone’s watching for the last minute.”

Twice Upon A Time airs on BBC One, Christmas Day, at 5.30pm.

johnnybear

I still cannot accept that this man is a writer of quality television! The levels of entrance must have gone down since the nineties I'm sure!
JB

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
So help me, I loved the special. It certainly has its flaws, but overall, I was entertained. My biggest issue
which is something another reviewer pointed out, which is that the idea of the Testimonies once again cheapen the impact of character deaths. I loves the idea of them, but they come off as another one of Moffat's "Oh, we're going to kill someone off to make great drama, but then bring them back because I'm not able to deal with death, and I don't think my audience is able to either". Seriously. If you kill someone off, let them be dead, and make an impact. You didn't see them bring Adric back, did you (and thank The Maker they didn't)? It was nice to see Rusty back, and I dig seeing Bradley as Doctor #1. He's not an exact copy, but he has the spirit of Bill Hartnell. And when the Captain said his name? Yup, I had some tears.
As for Jodie? I guess we would see at least a little more of her in the episode. Everyone else has gotten a few good lines, or something to make their mark. She just...appears. I'm still looking forward to seeing her in the role, but as far as her making an impact? Nope. Just her looking lovely.

michaellevenson

There was so much negativity toward the special in the press I prepared for the worst, but I liked it.
David Bradley was terrific as Dr 1 , I thought most of his lines were Hartnell- like, Bill is not the worst companion as is often said, she's NuWho's Ace.
Classic Who references were treated with respect and I loved having bits of the Tenth Planet in it.
Capaldi's final season was pretty good although the rest was dire. So here's hoping for a good series 11.

michaellevenson

Hang on a minute, have we forgotten The Valeyard?!
A distillation between the Doc's twelfth and thirteenth regenerations.
The Time Lords wanted to cover up the Earth/Ravelox debacle, so maybe they created the Doctor they wanted, an evil one, by interfering in the 12/13 regeneration creating the Valeyard and causing as a side effect the gender swap.
Now that I can believe.

johnnybear

Hang on a minute, have we forgotten The Valeyard?!
A distillation between the Doc's twelfth and thirteenth regenerations.
The Time Lords wanted to cover up the Earth/Ravelox debacle, so maybe they created the Doctor they wanted, an evil one, by interfering in the 12/13 regeneration creating the Valeyard and causing as a side effect the gender swap.
Now that I can believe.
I've always maintained that The Valeyard must have been born when the Tennant Doctor diverted the regenerational energy into his hand rather than change his entire body! Somewhere on the spiritual plane a Doctor was created and resented losing his chance to exist so went back in time to take over the remaining regenerations of the Sixth Doctor! At a time of his life where he felt he would be vunerable to being defeated!
JB

The Seeker

I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like the first Doctor's portrayal here. No hmmms or "my dear boy"s? And I don't remember him ever telling Barbara, Susan, Dodo, Polly, or Vicky to clean the Tardis. That part just bugged me.

The rest was okay. I was never properly prepared to like it that much because it was Capaldi's last episode and I so didn't want him to leave. OH! And when did Nardole die?

Doctor Omega

I didn't like the first Doctor's portrayal here. No hmmms or "my dear boy"s? And I don't remember him ever telling Barbara, Susan, Dodo, Polly, or Vicky to clean the Tardis. That part just bugged me.
Yes, it just was not the Hartnell Doctor.

It may have been Hartnell the actor, in some ways, but not his Doctor.

johnnybear

David Bradley is a comparable actor but his claim to fame within Who circles is his facial similarity to William Hartnell's Doctor! His voice was wavering rather than Hartnell's stern and snapping! I think he was a lot better in the 2013 An Adventure in Time And Space to be honest!
JB

Doctor Omega

Well, Hartnell certainly wins in my opinion as far as powerful and earnest delivery of lines goes!

Bradley always seems to me as if he is trying to remember where he put that packet of cough drops and is mildly irritated by his own forgetfulness. :emoji_confused:

And the new Ben has clearly been taking "How Not to Sound Anything Like Michael Craze" classes, with some wooden acting lessons thrown in for good measure.

Thankfully this all combines to happily bring the special up to New Who standards. :emoji_head_bandage:

johnnybear

Anyone notice how New Who can't replicate the faces of the original Cybermen from Tenth Planet in those shots or in the two parter that ended the season?
JB