Fun Worlds of DC

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I've talked about this before in other areas, and I believe I did some talking about it a couple of years ago in my blogging. Here's the biggest sins DC has committed as far as the extended universe:

-Separate TV and Movie universes - The various DC shows on the CW are really good. Sure, they're flawed, but I'm coming at it as a fanboy who has read comics his entire life. But I'm happy with what they are doing with them. These characters in these incarnations should have been incorporated into the movie franchises.
- Too damned serious! - Yes, I liked Nolan's take on the Dark Knight trilogy. But then Snyder made MAN OF STEEL in the same vein, and then kept it up for BVS. Not everything needs to be dark and gritty. And quit hiring Goyer to write your movies. Yes, he knows his comics, but he just takes numerous scenarios from the books and throws them into a mishmash which is usually a mess.
-Trying too much too fast - Marvel did the right thing and set up a movie universe slowly, and incorporated many characters before bringing out AVENGERS. DC wanted that type of box office, and tried too hard to get things set up for a JUSTICE LEAGUE movie. Unfortunately, everything has been rushed since, with shoehorned cameos from future heroes into BVS.
-Missed opportunities - After Marvel released CAPTAIN AMERICA, DC would have had the perfect opportunity to do a good WWII comics film. DC could have gone with SGT. ROCK, UNKNOWN SOLDIER, HAUNTED TANK, or THE BLACKHAWKS. In fact, had they done them separately, they could have eventually done a big team-up film. They were so concerned with getting to JUSTICE LEAGUE, that they missed other great opportunities for films.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Feels, to me, like they're rushing out films for some reason. Like they're trying to catch up with Marvel. But why?

Batman fighting Superman should have been kept back. Establish the characters first with their oiwn films then build up to that conflict before creating the Justice League.

But no, they just jumped into it. No back story, no build up, no intrigue. Nothing.

Suicide squad was a spectacular mess.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Feels, to me, like they're rushing out films for some reason. Like they're trying to catch up with Marvel. But why?

Batman fighting Superman should have been kept back. Establish the characters first with their oiwn films then build up to that conflict before creating the Justice League.

But no, they just jumped into it. No back story, no build up, no intrigue. Nothing.
Absolutely agree with you !

Gavin

VIP
They've got some good ideas. And generally speaking I'm happy with the casting so far (although I haven't seen Suicide Squad yet). But each movie feels like they're trying to fit too much in. It just feels like they're trying to rush things to catch up with Marvel. And a slightly less depressing Superman might be nice.

Shaggy

Member: Rank 1
Like @Hux mentioned. The Vs should have been down later, and should've come out with the Afleck batman stand alone first, with another stand alone WW and so on. Marvel is just doing it right. They created stand alones for all their characters first, before them came out with Avengers.

MovieKnut

Member: Rank 2
As much as it pains me to say this, yes they are. I prefer the DC superheroes to Marvel, Shazam (or Captain Marvel) being my favourite. However, Marvel are wiping the floor with DC at present. There has been some nice social commentary in the Marvel movies (e.g. the trading liberty for security theme in Captain America: Civil War), keeping the stories relevant. DC have obviously gone for a different tone and style, which is not a bad thing. The problem is that they struggling to maintain any excitement and by extension, audience interest.

Last edited:

MovieKnut

Member: Rank 2
Trying too much too fast - Marvel did the right thing and set up a movie universe slowly, and incorporated many characters before bringing out AVENGERS. DC wanted that type of box office, and tried too hard to get things set up for a JUSTICE LEAGUE movie. Unfortunately, everything has been rushed since, with shoehorned cameos from future heroes into BVS.
Completely agree. DC should have taken time to introduce their characters and cast to today's audience, perhaps allowing an occasional reference to other characters to suggest a shared universe before plunging in with the Justice League.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I have always preferred DC superheros to Marvel superheros, ever since I was a child. I simply found them and their stories more appealing. I loved the Justice League of America - even if I couldn't figure out what was so wrong with America that it needed all of these superheros for itself, to keep things under control.

However, the Marvel superhero films are simply so much better than anything from the DC universe - for the most part. There have been one or two good DC superhero films here and there, but certainly not enough to base a decent film universe upon. It also doesn't help if you have to keep replacing the actors who play your superheros.

I do like a dark and gritty Batman film, because it matches the mood of the comics I read as a child. I liked the fact that he was known as the Dark Knight, the Midnight Manhunter, the Darknight Detective and so on and so forth. In fact he was - and still is - my favourite superhero. Which is strange when you consider that he doesn't actually have any super powers.

However, Superman is quite a different matter. There's a reason he's known as the Big Blue Boy-scout. And give him back his damn underwear! In fact, stop fucking around with the costumes of all the superheros. If their costumes were good enough for the comics, then they should be good enough for the films...

Gavin

VIP
Wonder Woman does look promising (but that proves nothing).
The problem is that the trailers for Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad looked pretty promising too. I'm holding out hope that things will improve but I won't be rushing to any premieres.

And somehow they're going to have to squeeze another Man of Steel and Batman movie into that schedule. They can't wait until after 2020 for sequels so it's quite possible that one or more of the "less known" titles will get bumped. Unless they're confident enough to go to three movies a year like Marvel.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Wright, Nielsen Confirmed For “Justice League”

nielsen-wright-set-for-justice-league-696x464.jpg

A report popped up at Forbes yesterday which indicated that, aside from the currently in production “Aquaman” film, Warners is holding off on further announcements regarding its DCEU films until “Justice League” launches.

Said report hasn’t been confirmed yet and claims: “The studio wants to see how Wonder Woman performs (so far so good on that front) and how Justice League turns out before they barrel ahead with multiple more films every year. More films will get made, don’t worry, but it makes sense to ease off the gas a little and be certain about the best route ahead.”

Additional filming on “Justice League” gets underway in the UK this month with actor Henry Cavill posting a photo of himself in his Superman boots and tights this week in tribute to the 79th anniversary of the character.

Additionally, both Robin Wright’s General Antiope and Connie Nielsen’s Queen Hippolyta characters from “Wonder Woman” are confirmed to be making appearances in ‘League’. Speaking with The L.A. Times, both actresses and Gal Gadot were asked if we’ll see more of the relationships between the three women in future films. They responded:

Gadot: Of course; the mother and daughter relationship is always a beautiful but complex relationship. I think that there’s a lot more to explore.

Nielsen: And [Wright and I] got to do more in “Justice League” as well. As sisters as well. Kind of badass as well. We can’t say much, but …

Wright: And more of the story, you get some of the history.

The film is said to feature flashbacks to a time when Atlanteans, Amazonians and early humans united to fight off an alien threat. “Justice League” opens in November.

Doctor Omega

Warners Considered A “Superman: Red Son” Pitch

warners-considered-a-superman-red-son-pitch-696x464.jpg

It’s not clear if it’s still being pursued, but a social media conversation has led to the reveal that Warner Bros. Pictures has been looking into a live-action feature film adaptation of the iconic comic “Superman: Red Son”.

The comic was a one-off ‘Elseworlds’-style tale which imagines what the world would have been like had Kal-El’s pod crashlanded in the Ukraine rather than Kansas, leading to him being raised in the Soviet Union.

Author Mark Millar created the comic back in 2003 and in a Twitter conversation between Millar and “Kong: Skull Island” director Jordan Vogt-Roberts, it was revealed that the latter pitched a ‘Red Son’ film to Warners. Millar the responded that he had heard the studio had approached at least another two directors recently offering a live-action adaptation of the story as a project.

Den of Geek then followed that up with a report that they’ve heard from “very, very, very reliable sources” that the studio is looking to bring the comic to the big screen in the near future. Millar then provided a statement to the site saying: “I’ve got pals at Warner Bros but never discussed it with them. I think they’re just going through their back catalogue of big books and hoping to lure in good directors as opposed to any particular interest in developing Red Son.”

Certainly it sounds like something was up at one time, though whether it has any real chance of progressing – it seems unlikely for now. For now the big screen Superman is Henry Cavill who’ll appear in the upcoming “Justice League” and is expected to star in the “Man of Steel” direct sequel which is in development.

Doctor Omega

Ben Affleck’s Future As Batman Uncertain?

ben-afflecks-future-as-batman-uncertain-696x464.jpg

Ben Affleck will be hitting San Diego Comic Con tomorrow along with the rest of the cast of “Justice League” to help promote the superhero team-up feature.

So far the company line from everyone involved in the DCEU has been that Affleck will continue in that role for the near future, even as rumors have previously swirled about his dissatisfaction.

Today, The Hollywood Reporter says according to their sources, the studio is working on plans to gracefully usher out Affleck’s Batman. They also indicate the change, in whatever form it takes, will be addressed in one of the upcoming DC films. Just when and how it will happen has yet to be determined though.

Matt Reeves, who will direct the upcoming standalone “The Batman” films, has previously said that he means to keep Affleck in the role even as Affleck first stepped back from directing and now the script he co-wrote for the film has been ditched by Reeves.

Indications are Reeves is planning a grander story, potentially a trilogy, which is not necessarily something the soon to turn 45 years old Affleck is necessarily on board for. Filming on “The Batman” isn’t expected to happen until early next year.

Affleck will remain in the role for a little while yet at least as “Justice League” is in the midst of reshoots under the tutelage of Joss Whedon. The next trailer for ‘League’ is expected to be unleashed tomorrow following its premiere at the Comic Con panel for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Doctor Omega

Another “Suicide Squad” Spin-Off Planned?

another-suicide-squad-spin-off-planned-696x464.jpg

Whether Ben Affleck is involved or not, the future of the DCEU is growing more elaborate all the time. We already know of “Shazam,” “Suicide Squad 2,” James Wan’s “Aquaman,” Matt Reeves’ “The Batman,” Joss Whedon’s “Batgirl,” and David Ayer’s “Gotham City Sirens”.

Turns out there may be another one on the way too as Screen Rant reports that Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Entertainment are developing a live-action DCEU film which will pit Harley Quinn against The Joker.

The project is said to be separate from both “Gotham City Sirens” and the “Suicide Squad” sequel which Jaume Collet-Serra is in the running to direct. One person who won’t be back for that is actress Cara Delevingne who told USA Today this week she’s not returning as it wouldn’t make sense for the character.

In other DC film tidbits ahead of the Warners panel at Comic Con this morning, DC Films chief Geoff Johns tells IGN that Whedon will start filming “Batgirl” next year. AlsoSplash Report says Mark Bomback (“The Wolverine,” “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes”) will be helping out Reeves on the script for “The Batman”.

Doctor Omega

KEY RELEASE DATES
  • Justice League release date: Nov 17, 2017
  • Aquaman release date: Dec 21, 2018
  • Shazam! release date: Apr 5, 2019
  • Cyborg release date: Apr 3, 2020
  • Green Lantern Corps. release date: Jul 24, 2020