Review Your Favourite FILMS?

Discussion in 'Film: Reviews' started by redwax, Feb 6, 2017.

1. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 7

DREDD is the better film. JUDGE DREDD is a fun romp, but in no way comparable to the comics (Dredd never shows his face!!!). Also, Rob Schneider? Really?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gary L

Gary L Member: Rank 1

One reason I like movies, and art in general, is listening and watching for messages from the collective unconscious. I'm sure every fan can think of recurring images and characters, symbols, parallel stories and coincidences in movies.

I'm not sure David Lynch was being facetious when he recalled hearing his doorbell ring one day, pressing the listen button and hearing 'Dick Laurent is dead' and then was unable to see who was there. He uses this incident in the opening of his movie 'Lost Highway". During the rest of the film the protagonist, Fred Madison (Bill Pullman), is visibly haunted by this incident. He is sent some videotapes from an anonymous source that arrive on his doorstep. They show the interior of his house and eventually a horrific incident. Lynch suggests that Fred has a 'psychogenic fugue', a state of denial in the mind that presents an alternate reality to suppress the unwanted memories. I like to view this film from the paranormal standpoint though, more or less like his television drama 'Twin Peaks'. Like Fred says once to a detective, 'I like to remember things how I remember them, not necessarily how they happened'. And along with Fred there are two other cases of doppelgangers in the story. One is a gangster named Mr. Eddy (Robert Loggia), and his double Dick Laurent. Another is Fred's wife Renee (Patricia Arquette), and Mr. Eddy's girlfriend, Alice.

'Lost Highway' was released in 1997. A couple of years later the Austrian filmmaker Michael Haneke made a movie named 'Cache (HIdden)'. In this a television journalist, Georges Laurent (Daniel Auteuil), receives some anonymous videotapes on his doorstep. In divining their significance George is confronted by some incidents in his past that he has suppressed, and were more profound than he remembered. This also affects his wife, Anne (Juliette Binoche), as Georges in remembering his past is hesitant to share his memories with her, and it threatens their marriage. Actually, the wife Anne is a recurring character for Haneke. She is an actress who became involved in an incident with an Arab immigrant in France that affected several lives profoundly in the movie 'Code: Unknown'.

'Lost Highway' was released in Chicago the same week as a movie by Raul Ruiz 'Three Lives And Only One Death'. I have to thank the film critic Jonathan Rosenbaum for reviewing both in the same article in the Chicago Reader. Rosenbaum pointed out several similarities between both films, multiple identities being one. A man, Mateo Strano (Marcello Mastroianni in one of his last roles), in Paris lives several different lives simultaneously. The movie deals with the cause. A couple of years later Ruiz made another film, 'Shattered Image', in which an heiress has trouble with her husband and in her panic develops an alter ego, which manifests itself in a tragic way. I thought 'Shattered Image' was similar to the Lynch film, also of that time, 'Mulholland Dr.', in which the distraught actress Diane Selwyn develops an alter ego, aspiring actress Betty Elms. There are several characters with multiple identities in this film.

Recently, in 2014, the filmmaker Denis Villeneuve made a movie named 'Enemy', based on the Jose Saramago novel 'The Double'. A professor, Adam (Jake Gyllenhaal), discovers his doppelganger, Anthony, and becomes obsessed with it, to the distress of both their paramours, Adam's girlfriend Mary (Melanie Laurent) and Antony's wife the pregnant Helen (Sarah Gadon). Helen guesses that Anthony has created an alter ego to cover his infidelity.

I think these filmmakers are suggesting that many people have multiple identities. As Ruiz pointed out, many people have different identities depending on what situation they are in. I admit to this myself.

When his influences were suggested to him, Mick Jagger pointed out that some ideas are 'in the air'. Along with that sentiment I like to think along Carl Jung's line, there are profound messages from the collective unconscious that people become open to, especially artists as they are always stimulating this phenomenon.

The veteran actor Robert Loggia passed away recently. He had auditioned for a part in David Lynch's film 'Blue Velvet'. Lynch went with Dennis Hopper to play the psychopath Frank Booth. Loggia was incensed and let Lynch know in no uncertain terms. When Lynch was casting for 'Lost Highway' he had this incident in mind when he cast the part of Mr. Eddy and cast Loggia.

I have to say I was inspired with this message from the extensive discussions on the IMDb message boards from the respective films, several of which I commented on. I sure miss that. At first I thought they might keep the discussions about particular films, but they didn't. The boards for Lynch films were quite voluminous, considering.

Cache

• Like Like x 1
    #102 Gary L, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  3. Carol

Carol Member: Rank 5

Fantastic! Seriously you should start your own thread with this:

What (trashy) film would actually be better speeded up?

I'll bite - I avoided the Les Miserables film because I so passionately hate the stage show and then I heard they'd added an extra song to it into the bargain. I would be prepared, however, to watch the 10 minute version (actually I loved the Honest Trailer, so I mostly already have enjoyed the edited highlights version...)

• Like Like x 1
  4. streak1981

streak1981 Member: Rank 3

So the cable was out in my parent's living room last night, & I decided to stream a movie just to have something to watch w/out having to go upstairs. Shuffled through my Netflix list, & picked out Wyrmwood. It was my second time watching it in a while, but damn if it wasn't worth it. Highly recommend this one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hux

Hux Member: Rank 6

Dumb and Dumber Too

Never saw the original.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

The first 10 that come to mind...

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN PARIS (1997)

BATMAN AND ROBIN (1997)

BEVERLY HILLS COP III (1994)

CARRY ON COLUMBUS (1992)

CROCODILE DUNDEE IN LOS ANGELES (2001)

A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD (2013)

HIGHLANDER II: THE QUICKENING (1991)

JAWS 3 (1983)

JAWS: THE REVENGE (1987)

THE KARATE KID PART III (1989)

• Like Like x 1
  7. chainsaw_metal1

I've always said that, had this not been a sequel, I'd absolutely love this movie. It's a great B-sci-fi movie, and a perfect example of the sort that were coming out in the late 80s/early 90s. The fact that it was tied to a movie as brilliant as HIGHLANDER brought it down.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mustang2006

mustang2006 Member: Rank 2

The Godfather

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carol

The Lion in Winter and not just because we're giving honourable mentions to Antony Hopkins. Is there a split-second of wasted screen time from beginning to end? And every time I watch it it gets funnier, and cleverer, and sadder.

Doc, DOC!!!! I went back up to give you a like and add how much I loved the collage- there's a whole rainy afternoon of trying to spot everything and everyone in it - but the Like option has disappeared....oh the horror!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hux

Shawshank Redemption never seems to lose its gripping-ness.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CoriSCapnSkip

CoriSCapnSkip Member: Rank 1

Is the 1998 Director's Cut of Close Encounters of the Third Kind overwhelmingly better than the 1977 theatrical release, which I remember as quite possibly the hugest letdown of any film I have ever seen, proportional to the amount of anticipation? I vividly remember the buildup, the heartfelt endorsement by my favorite author, Ray Bradbury (on TV, not in print), huge write-ups in national magazines, and many details of that awful evening at the drive-in when my friend's mother took me and her youngest daughter and son to sit through an interminable succession of dramatically-rendered scenes amounting to a tale full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. My friend's little brother, a little older than the main boy in the movie, mercifully had the good sense and good luck to sleep through part of it but the rest of us just sat stunned and staring, hoping that it would eventually come together and amount to a meaningful narrative, as our hopes slowly deflated and our spirits were dashed and downcast though stopping short of crushed. We were at least momentarily amused by the little ball of light following the larger craft. I've never had the patience to sit through it since but when I have caught parts on TV the scenes I see have that same irritating, exasperating effect. The boy smashing the doll against the crib is nails on a blackboard Chinese water torture, and one of the few fairly brilliant moments--the director knew just when to have the father intervene before the audience totally lost its last shreds of patience and sanity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    #111 CoriSCapnSkip, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  12. Carol

Love it - but not sure which I've seen - whatever turns up on TV I suppose.
    What would you say the big differences are?

• Like Like x 1
  13. divemaster13

divemaster13 Member: Rank 3

The film that came to my mind immediately was Battle Royale 2. The original was a fresh, push-the-envelope, movie that I rated 5 stars. It easily makes my various "top movies" lists. However, the sequel was not just bad, but excruciatingly bad. Completely unwatchable. I think the director died a third of the way into making it, and whoever took over the reins created an abomination. One of the few films I've rated 0 stars.

I bought the Alien Quadrilogy boxset a few years ago, having only watched the first two (which are great movies). I had heard there was a drop-off in quality with movies 3 and 4, but I figured it was worth buying the set to get them all together and all the bonus features. The 3rd one wasn't that great, but passable enough for a movie night. However, the 4th one was so bad I couldn't believe it got green-lit. After watching it, I actually threw that DVD in the trash, so it would no longer contaminate the rest of my very enjoyable Alien boxset. Terrible, terrible movie.

I generally avoid sequels unless the word-of-mouth lends me to believe they are worthy of the franchise. That's why I've never seen The Matrix sequels. Or Highlander 2. Or Dumb and Dumber 2. Or (take your pick).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

[​IMG]

Your thoughts and views of this musical....

Love it?

Hate it?

And, either way, why?

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  15. TheSowIsMine

TheSowIsMine What an excellent day for an exorcism
    Staff Member VIP

I like the 70's musical movie, great music. I grew up watching this and listening to the soundtrack on vinyl.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Hux

[​IMG]

Discuss and vote.

Rocky (1976) - Very good and patently the one with the most heart and honesty. That being said, I'm not sure this is Oscar worthy.
    Rocky II (1979) - Don't remember much about this one.
    Rocky III (1982) - Fun but things are starting to get a little silly now.
    Rocky IV (1985) - A bloated fart of a mid 80's blockbuster. Nothing but dumb fun all the way.
    Rocky V (1990) - Not good but a necessary step back from the nonsense of the last one.
    Rocky Balboa (2006) - A decent effort after such a long gap. Not bad.
    Creed (2015) - This was surprisingly okay.

• Like Like x 1
  17. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter The Drifter
    VIP

Wishmaster 3 (The story with the angel of Michael coming to the aid of the girl)
    Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift (Wow! just bad, Peejoe as a teen, but the at least cars were the best part of the movie.)
    Matrix sequel movies (WTH was that ending? and between the movies and game I was a little confused.)
    Ghoulies 3 (The other movies were bad, really bad.)
    Hitcher 2 (Interesting, but it was never said if Busey was suppose to be Hauers kid.)
    2002 Maniacs (What were they thinking? 2001 with Englund was great.)
    Evil Dead 2 (I wish they would just get the backstory straight.)
    Pirates of the Caribbean 4 (First 3 weren't bad. Here's hoping 5 is better.)
    Leprechaun movies (Yep they're bad, and yet I found myself watching the marathon on St. Patty's Day)
    More American Graffiti (Everyone wanted it to be like the first, but it was nice to see the cast grown up.)
    X-Men 3 (Phoenix, but not the phoenix like the comics. Captain Picard facepalm on this on.)
    Shock Treatment (RHPS 2, still trying to figure this one out.)
    Human Centipede 2 (Don't watch it at all! Watch South Parks version & you'll get the idea.)
    Xtro 2 (Changed it up a little.)
    Oblivion 2 (Story was pretty bad)
    Blade sequels (Just keep getting worst)
    Computer wore tennis shoes 1995 (How does a human get a computer virus?)

• Like Like x 1
  18. chainsaw_metal1

Raimi said the reason they did that was because they didn't have the rights to the first movie, since they were doing it with a different studio. Hence the reshooting of the story, leaving out everyone but Ash and Linda. I still love that film. I agree with the rest of your list, though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Elliot Thomas

Elliot Thomas Member: Rank 3

Airplane 2 and Hangover 2 are the laziest sequels you'll ever see. They just remake the first film with a few alterations. Cut and paste job:emoji_confounded:

• Like Like x 1
  20. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter The Drifter
    VIP

Only thing that made Airplane 2 worth watching and laughing to this day.
    upload_2017-4-6_16-23-42.jpeg

• Like Like x 3