Fun Your Favourite Films?

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Be honest...

Which Dredd film did you enjoy more?

And why?

We're all supposed to say the Karl Urban one....

But would that be right?

And if so, why is that right?

1995:

2012:

alpha128

Member: Rank 3
I own the original "Westworld" on DVD.

I have seen "Futureworld" but I don't own it. It's OK. At least they didn't try to rehash the original.

I don't have HBO, so I haven't seen the new series.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Verhoeven's 1990 film is fantastic and much smarter than many people realise. You can sincerely interpret events as having happened or being a holiday memory gone very wrong.

As I recall (sic) you can't do that with the remake. It makes it clear that... yes, this is all happening. It was a kinda bland, forgettable film.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I loved the original. I think it really captures the world in Philip K Dick's novels.
I tried the remake, but I couldn't finish it.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
The Company of Wolves (1984)
Yes - love it! And one day I will get my DVD back from the friend who borrowed it. Bet Angela Lansbury had more fun doing that than all her Disney outings put together.
I wish more of Angela Carter's work would make it to film, especially her other horror stories

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
Yes - love it! And one day I will get my DVD back from the friend who borrowed it. Bet Angela Lansbury had more fun doing that than all her Disney outings put together.
I wish more of Angela Carter's work would make it to film, especially her other horror stories
I should really read some of her work.

streak1981

Damn, yes! The dudes in that waiting room could give anyone the heebie-jeebies. And, oh, yes - EVERYTHNG ELSE! Great film - when you don't know whether to cackle or to gibber and do both - good choice!

Anyone like to comment whether Sexy Beast counts? Found myself watching it at a family reunion over the weekend - horrific, but all the monsters were human...thoughts?
:emoji_grin::emoji_grin::emoji_grin:

duzit

These 5 are listed in no particular order, they are listed because I never tire of them:
I can watch them over & over::emoji_spy::emoji_performing_arts:

Jaws - 1975

Shrek - 2001

Disturbia - 2007

E.T. - 1982

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 1981

Hux

1) The Hairdresser's Husband.
2) Dawn of the Dead (1978).
3) The Double Life of Veronique.
4) Arsenic and Old Lace.
5) Holiday.

Doctor Omega

Verhoeven's 1990 film is fantastic and much smarter than many people realise. You can sincerely interpret events as having happened or being a holiday memory gone very wrong.

As I recall (sic) you can't do that with the remake. It makes it clear that... yes, this is all happening. It was a kinda bland, forgettable film.
Yes, indeed, should you choose to interpret it that way,
the implanted dream starts in the original when the window is being banged after Quaid has faded into unconsciousness in the chair and they start going on about a "schizoid embolism". I was hoping the remake would have that same clever ambiguity, but alas...

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I made a point of watching the 2007 one with Nicole Kidman again today, after some years.

It remains, to my mind, the weakest of them all. In certain areas of the storytelling I was left wondering what the makers of the film were thinking as regards some of the ideas. They took all of the scariest bits out and had to turn the invasion itself into something less than it had ever been.

And the film just seems to stop with loads of heavy handed info dumping at the conclusion.

I understand that the first director walked during production - although only one director is credited.

Such a pity that this film couldn't have been better.

I don't think it's going to improve with age either.

MovieKnut

Member: Rank 2
Jaws: The Revenge

Absolute travesty. Poor plot, the shark from Jaws 2 back for revenge. The producers did themselves no favours by trying to recreate the scene where Brody's younger son mimics his actions at the dinner table.

I usually buy franchise box sets. Can't bring myself to do it with Jaws. Won't pay money for the fourth movie.

Michael Caine is often quoted as saying he hasn't seen Jaws The revenge, but he has seen the house it bought. Should have given the money to charity. At least some good would have come of the dismal money grab.

Last edited:

elanor

I definitely prefer the 2012 film with Karl Urban. I don't remember much of the 1995 film, only that I disliked it a lot. So I cannot really say why I prefer the 2012 version in comparison to the 1995 version.

I liked the stoicism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism) in the 2012 film and the two main characters.