chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I liked the episode Planet of the Dead, and I enjoyed Ms. Ryan's performance in the role. But of all of the characters who I could ponder the future of, she isn't one of them. Unless one of those adventures involved me and Ms. Ryan sharing a few drinks and a can of whipped cream.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Eccleston Finally Talks “Doctor Who” Exit

eccleston-talks-his-doctor-who-regret-696x464.jpg

Christopher Eccleston took on the role of The Doctor for just thirteen episodes in the first season of the 2005 series reboot of “Doctor Who”.

Eccleston famously has had no desire to return to the role due to behind-the-scenes disagreements that took place on the show – mostly with management at the BBC. In the past, he has talked about how he loved playing the character but the work environment didn’t really work for him and he holds animosity toward the production to this day for the way they treated him.

As part of a new interview with the Radio Times, he’s gone further into detail – naming names and explaining what exactly happened that led to his exit from the massive TV series:

“My relationship with my three immediate superiors – the showrunner, the producer and co-producer – broke down irreparably during the first block of filming and it never recovered. They lost trust in me, and I lost faith and trust and belief in them.

Some of my anger about the situation came from my own insecurity. They employed somebody [as the Doctor] who was not a natural light comedian. Billie [Piper], who we know was and is brilliant, was very, very nervous and very, very inexperienced.

So, you had that, and then you had me. Very, very experienced, possibly the most experienced on it, but out of my comfort zone. When I left, I gave my word to [then-showrunner] Russell T Davies that I wouldn’t do anything to damage the show. But they did things to damage me. I didn’t criticise anybody.”

Eccleston adds that he will never have a working relationship with Davies again. Davies of course left “Doctor Who” with the departure of David Tennant.

Doctor Omega

Are We Getting a 'Doctor Who' Christmas Special in 2018?

My guess is... no. That is, unless Jodie is a hit, merchandise wise.

It seems to be diminishing returns for DW at the moment.... Ten episodes... They didn't want to do a Christmas special last year, but Moffat insisted.

Merchandise is selling less well - and diminishing. I think kids have moved on to THE NEXT BIG THING, several franchises ago.

If Jodie manages a Michael Keaton or Daniel Craig, defying any backlash and re-establishing the brand as something new, vital and alive- and, above all, profitable - then yes, you can bet they will commission a Christmas special.

If the 13th Doctor turns out to be a non-starter, then the end will be nigh for the whole show, I think.

I think that all the BBC cares about now is merchandise. If that doesn't improve I suspect that they will shrink the show until it dies with a whimper... until it's next rebirth years hence.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Rumour round up.....

Two rumours have reached me today....

• Bradley Walsh's character is married to the Sharon D. Clarke character and is the stepfather of the Tosin Cole's character.
  • Christopher Eccleston is to do his first signing at the LFCC in July. Unconfirmed report that he will be charging £95 for his autograph.
Will chase these up and confirm or scotch these two rumours a.s.a.p.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I am hearing that DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE is deliberately going to be referencing CLASSIC WHO less and less now...

I guess their reasoning is that this is archival stuff that has been studied to death
In fairness, there are only so many ways you can analyse the classic episodes. And they've all pretty much been done in one way or another now. Other than referencing how a classic episode relates to a new episode, what more is there to say? Unless we start exploring the motivations of unnamed characters who have no lines in their episode.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Unless we start exploring the motivations of unnamed characters who have no lines in their episode.
Don't miss next month's explosive issue, where we sit down with Robert Fitzhamptonshire, third man from the left in the pub scene in that one episode!
"Was I on the telly? Tell ya truth, mate, I was right pissed through most of the seventies. Or was it the eighties?"

Doctor Omega

s-l1600.jpg

Fan-tongues have been set a-chattering after Russel T. Davies tweaked the scene in his novelisation of Rose to include photos on the wall of Clive, the obsessive "fan" that Rose visits.

Now the photos don't stop at Eccleston, but continue into Doctors Tennant, Smith, Capaldi Whittaker - and two future Doctors....

"Rose saw a photo of a man with a fantastic jaw, dressed in a tweed jacket and bow tie. Then Clive kept the sequence going; an older, angry man in a brown caretaker's coat, holding a mop; a blonde woman in braces running away from a giant frog in front of Buckingham Palace; a tall, bald black woman wielding a flaming sword; a young girl or boy, in a hi-tech wheelchair, with what looked like a robot dog at their side..."

Doctor Omega

This latest rumour is a doozy.

Apparently, word is that Chibnall wants a gap of 18 months to 2 years between each DOCTOR WHO series that he makes, just as he did with BROADCHURCH.

He is supposedly citing quality over quantity....

Again this is unconfirmed at present....

The video below goes into more detail about this and other stories....

Doctor Omega

After posting this I had a text off an outraged friend who seems convinced that Chibnall is trying to move the show to Sundays. First I had heard of it, but there are a couple of videos discussing it....