ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I didn't like the new Star Trek much myself at first. But I found that once I stopped trying to worry about how it fit into the continuity and basically just thought of it it as it's own thing without any real connection I enjoyed it more. It wasn't perfect, by any means, but overall I found it more enjoyable than not. I also wasn't a big fan of the hybrid stuff in Doctor Who, but it was there and then it was gone so it didn't really impact me that much.
That's something I would never do, nor would I ever wish to do.

It exists because it is part of a larger franchise. Therefore , it must always be considered part of the large whole.

To view it in any other context is simply unacceptable to me.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
That's something I would never do, nor would I ever wish to do.

It exists because it is part of a larger franchise. Therefore , it must always be considered part of the large whole.

To view it in any other context is simply unacceptable to me.
I'm obviously much more relaxed about continuity. I figure that continuity in Doctor Who has never really been a big thing so why start worrying too much about it now?

ant-mac

I'm obviously much more relaxed about continuity. I figure that continuity in Doctor Who has never really been a big thing so why start worrying too much about it now?
With Classic Who, it is possible to address each continuity issue as it appears and resolve it to a certain degree. In fact, that can be part of the charm and the pleasure of the overall experience.

As for New Who, did I tell you about the charm and the pleasure of the overall experience of watching Classic Who?

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
With Classic Who, it is possible to address each continuity issue as it appears and resolve it to a certain degree. In fact, that can be part of the charm and the pleasure of the overall experience.
Yeah, there were all sorts of continuity issues in the 70s. Or was it the 80s?

ant-mac

I had enough fun with The Discontinuity Guide that I've developed the skill to be able to hammer everything into continuity. If it doesn't fit - just hit it harder :emoji_grinning:
Who needs a hammer?

I approach it like a jigsaw puzzle. It just a case of moving the pieces around until they fit. And a little imaginative reasoning...

Of course, the introduction of the time war helped out to some degree.

ant-mac

I give you a perfectly good UNIT reference and nothing. :emoji_vulcan:
If you're referring to MAWDRYN UNDEAD's placement in the timeline, it's quite simple.

The Black Guardian manipulated events to bring the Doctor into a trap where his agent could kill him. As a result, the super being temporarily - get it? - altered the timeline. Everything more or less returned to normal afterwards.

PS - And in the real world, UNIT's genesis occurred in the 60s.

johnnybear

I will never watch any of the Capaldi episodes ever again and do not own any of them on DVD or any other kind of media so that Hybrid crap doesn't exist in my continuity! The show ends for me with the final Doctor getting a new regeneration cycle and being trapped in the TARDIS with the most boring companion ever! There you go! done!
JB

ant-mac

I will never watch any of the Capaldi episodes ever again and do not own any of them on DVD or any other kind of media so that Hybrid crap doesn't exist in my continuity! The show ends for me with the final Doctor getting a new regeneration cycle and being trapped in the TARDIS with the most boring companion ever! There you go! done!
JB
Yes, I had planned to stop there as well, but Peter Capaldi seemed so much like a Doctor from Classic Who, that I feel for it. Such a shame he turned out to be such a huge disappointment - due to that dickhead who was in charge.

I also had hoped DOCTOR WHO would finish with the end to the final incarnation of his life cycle. Everything deserves a beginning, a middle and an end.

johnnybear

I too thought Capaldi would be good! And as a long time fan himself might be able to put across the vibe needed for the show that Moffat had destroyed! But sadly Capaldi wasn't the man to do it and was a pretty crap Doctor too! Anyone who could pull Davros out of his survival chair and race about in it dressed like a cross between Hartnell/Troughton and a modern day down n' out and not understand the importance of what he has just done isn't worthy of being in my collection on the shelf!
JB

ant-mac

I too thought Capaldi would be good! And as a long time fan himself might be able to put across the vibe needed for the show that Moffat had destroyed! But sadly Capaldi wasn't the man to do it and was a pretty crap Doctor too! Anyone who could pull Davros out of his survival chair and race about in it dressed like a cross between Hartnell/Troughton and a modern day down n' out and not understand the importance of what he has just done isn't worthy of being in my collection on the shelf!
JB
This thing is, I don't hold him responsible for those actions. It's down to the writer and the show runner - unless the two are in fact one and the same.

In the same vein, I don't blame David Bradley for the inexplicably sexist and stupid behaviour he displayed as the first Doctor. That wasn't his fault, that was down to... no, don't help me, I'll remember his name... ah, of course, I remember now... Smug Muppet!

Gavin

VIP
The Black Guardian manipulated events to bring the Doctor into a trap where his agent could kill him. As a result, the super being temporarily - get it? - altered the timeline. Everything more or less returned to normal afterwards.
See I always presumed that Ian Chesterton was teaching science at the school but due to the Black Guardian's manipulation of events he was temporally switched with the Brigadier and when the school discovered he had no understanding of science they switched him to maths

ant-mac

See I always presumed that Ian Chesterton was teaching science at the school but due to the Black Guardian's manipulation of events he was temporally switched with the Brigadier and when the school discovered he had no understanding of science they switched him to maths
It was a different school, but I suppose...

What I don't get, is when Jacqueline Hill came back and appeared in MEGLOS, why wasn't she cast as the Human who was abducted? Named either Barbara Wright or Barbara Chesterton.

It would have provided slightly higher stakes for the Doctor and a little extra thrill for fans. It seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Gavin

VIP
It was a different school, but I suppose...

What I don't get, is when Jacqueline Hill came back and appeared in MEGLOS, why wasn't she cast as the Human who was abducted? Named either Barbara Wright or Barbara Chesterton.

It would have provided slightly higher stakes for the Doctor and a little extra thrill for fans. It seems like a missed opportunity to me.
I wondered that too. Especially given how JNT went on to make so many references and call backs to the past in the next couple of seasons. And he apparently approached both Elizabeth Sladen and Louise Jameson to come back as the companion when Tom Baker regenerated. So having a previous companion appear wouldn't have been something not to be considered.

I assume the story was written as it was and it just so happened that Jacqueline Hill was cast. By that point changing the story so that she could play Barbara might have just been too much effort. If you're going to feature an old companion you'd need to reference it a bit and, from memory the abducted human part wasn't a very big role, so it may have needed to be developed more. And then you'd need a scene where the Doctor recognises Barbara and there's some explanation of regeneration, etc. I'm not sure what the time frame was in those days between casting and filming, but it probably wasn't enough for a rewrite of the script. But definitely a missed opportunity.

And, of course, that highlights the missed opportunities in the new series of getting both William Russell and Nicholas Courtney to appear. Coal Hill School as a major setting for series 8 offered an easy opportunity for Ian Chesterton to cameo (especially since he'd been confirmed to be on the Board of Directors). And even given his poor health, how hard would it have been to film a video call insert of the Brigadier in one of the many UNIT episodes?

ant-mac

I wondered that too. Especially given how JNT went on to make so many references and call backs to the past in the next couple of seasons. And he apparently approached both Elizabeth Sladen and Louise Jameson to come back as the companion when Tom Baker regenerated. So having a previous companion appear wouldn't have been something not to be considered.

I assume the story was written as it was and it just so happened that Jacqueline Hill was cast. By that point changing the story so that she could play Barbara might have just been too much effort. If you're going to feature an old companion you'd need to reference it a bit and, from memory the abducted human part wasn't a very big role, so it may have needed to be developed more. And then you'd need a scene where the Doctor recognises Barbara and there's some explanation of regeneration, etc. I'm not sure what the time frame was in those days between casting and filming, but it probably wasn't enough for a rewrite of the script. But definitely a missed opportunity.

And, of course, that highlights the missed opportunities in the new series of getting both William Russell and Nicholas Courtney to appear. Coal Hill School as a major setting for series 8 offered an easy opportunity for Ian Chesterton to cameo (especially since he'd been confirmed to be on the Board of Directors). And even given his poor health, how hard would it have been to film a video call insert of the Brigadier in one of the many UNIT episodes?
All good questions.

And proof at just how clueless and incompetent so many of the show runners have been on DOCTOR WHO.

johnnybear

Same here my friend! I recently saw that picture of the new TARDIS console and it's mighty ugly! My kids don't like crabs so I'm sure they won't be watching this show anymore! Even if it is on Sunday nights at 8pm!
JB

PS.By the way what does the new exterior of the TARDIS look like? I've heard people don't like it!