Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Maybe it's simply time, for this manifestation of the show.

Things go in cycles - and this revival has lasted for far longer than I expected it to in the first place. I was anticipating five years, tops.

Is this the fading gasp of the revived show (at least until the third go round in the years ahead, after a long rest again)?

Or is it about to get an astonishing second wind that will prolong the current era and make the naysayers - like myself - ultimately look a bit silly?

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
After posting this I had a text off an outraged friend who seems convinced that Chibnall is trying to move the show to Sundays. First I had heard of it, but there are a couple of videos discussing it....
There are people who still watch shows when they're broadcast? I watch everything on delayed stream so I don't have to limit myself to viewing at a specific time.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
There are people who still watch shows when they're broadcast? I watch everything on delayed stream so I don't have to limit myself to viewing at a specific time.
Delayed stream?

I get that sometimes late at night, when I've woken up out of a deep sleep and need to take a leak.

With TV broadcasts, if I want to watch something, I PVR it and watch it when I'm in the mood. Or I visit the website for ABC or SBS.

Gavin

VIP
Is this the fading gasp of the revived show (at least until the third go round in the years ahead, after a long rest again)?

Or is it about to get an astonishing second wind that will prolong the current era and make the naysayers - like myself - ultimately look a bit silly?
Well count me as one who's hoping for the latter. I loved the new trailer and am extremely excited about what's to come.

Gavin

VIP
You'll have to let me know later at Christmas what it was like! :emoji_scream:
JB
Happy to do so but I'm not sure it will help. We've clearly got different tastes when it comes to Doctor Who - I've largely enjoyed the modern era and you seem to have mostly hated it.

johnnybear

I certainly have! My favourite eras would be 67-77 I'd say but there have been the odd crackers in the following series like City of Death, Logopolis, Earthshock, Mawdryn Undead and Dalek, Utopia and The Doctor's Wife in the New era!
JB

Gavin

VIP
there have been the odd crackers in the following series like City of Death, Logopolis, Earthshock, Mawdryn Undead and Dalek, Utopia and The Doctor's Wife in the New era!
Well I can't disagree with you about the crackers. Those are some of the best stories. I've just got a higher appreciation for the rest of the series. I'm curious though is it just New Who you're not fond of or is it modern TV storytelling generally? I know the way television is done has changed quite substantially since the 60's & 70's. but is it just Doctor Who's changes that don't work for you? Or other shows too?

ant-mac

Happy to do so but I'm not sure it will help. We've clearly got different tastes when it comes to Doctor Who - I've largely enjoyed the modern era and you seem to have mostly hated it.
That sums me up pretty well.

I enjoyed almost every era of Classic Who, but I don't really care for New Who at all.

ant-mac

Well I can't disagree with you about the crackers. Those are some of the best stories. I've just got a higher appreciation for the rest of the series. I'm curious though is it just New Who you're not fond of or is it modern TV storytelling generally? I know the way television is done has changed quite substantially since the 60's & 70's. but is it just Doctor Who's changes that don't work for you? Or other shows too?
No, it's just TV series like DOCTOR WHO and STAR TREK.

There are plenty of other modern TV shows that I like, such as BOSCH, MIDSUMMER MURDERS and such.

johnnybear

I'd say that I don't like the new Star Trek either! It annoys me that they keep placing the spin-offs before TOS just to sort of reinvent the franchise! But by modernising it they're trying to cheapen the original show's look and it's mythology! As for New Who I really hate Moffat's writing and his way of telling a story which is excite the viewers with an oft remark and then do nothing with it and ignore it at the conclusion! That hybrid nonsense was disgraceful!
JB

Gavin

VIP
I'd say that I don't like the new Star Trek either! It annoys me that they keep placing the spin-offs before TOS just to sort of reinvent the franchise! But by modernising it they're trying to cheapen the original show's look and it's mythology! As for New Who I really hate Moffat's writing and his way of telling a story which is excite the viewers with an oft remark and then do nothing with it and ignore it at the conclusion! That hybrid nonsense was disgraceful!
JB
I didn't like the new Star Trek much myself at first. But I found that once I stopped trying to worry about how it fit into the continuity and basically just thought of it it as it's own thing without any real connection I enjoyed it more. It wasn't perfect, by any means, but overall I found it more enjoyable than not. I also wasn't a big fan of the hybrid stuff in Doctor Who, but it was there and then it was gone so it didn't really impact me that much.