Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Another one where I knew it as a Target book novelisation first... complete with the wrong type of Cyberman on the cover and a different title to the book.

With half of the serial missing, this remained annoyingly incomplete for years, but I really like the animation job that BBC dvd did on it.

As to the television story itself, it is certainly atmospheric, despite the occasionally workmanlike (in certain areas) direction of the - at least dependable - Morris Barry.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Everything up to the end of Jon Pertwee (and much of Tom Baker) I knew from the novelisation before seeing the episodes. This book was my introduction to both the second Doctor and companions Ben, Polly and Jamie. I was sold on the 2nd Doctor from then on and he's remained one of my favourites ever since (much enhanced since actually seeing the wonderful Patrick Troughton performing the role in all of the existing episodes since).

Gavin

VIP
Not the best story to finish the season with, especially after the quality of the previous three stories. And the image of the "emotionless" cyberleader having a tantrum ....

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Fantastic story! Plus, it has what I believe to be the best scene of Tom Baker's tenure, when he struggles with the possibility of destroying the Daleks before they even begin. There is so much pathos in that one scene. Absolutely wonderful.

alpha128

Member: Rank 3
My second favorite Who story of all time! It made the Daleks scary again and has some truly great and memorable cliffhangers. I love it and own it on DVD.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Not the best story to finish the season with, especially after the quality of the previous three stories. And the image of the "emotionless" cyberleader having a tantrum ....
Originally, it was not meant to be the final serial of the season. However, from what I have heard here and there over the years, there was some issue with the scheduling of the following season that led them to ending this one prematurely. That allowed the cast and crew to focus on the second year. Who knows.

However, I still like the story - and I think the Cybermen presented in it have one of the best and most practical designs of all time - but I do dislike the title. Seeking revenge is an emotional pursuit. Cybermen are not meant to have emotions...

"Love? Pride? Hate? Fear? Have you no emotions, sir?"

It would have been much better and just as effective to call the serial RETURN OF THE CYBERMEN...

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Tom Baker papered over the huge gaps in the narrative and it was (I think) the only adventure that people could buy and relive in the days before home video....

This was all we had..... Out of all those stories in the archive.... Almost tragic really... :emoji_disappointed:

I knew of Doctor Who the Music when it came out - and always wanted to get it, but could never find it anywhere at the time sadly..... :emoji_disappointed:

Last edited:

alpha128

Member: Rank 3
I knew of Doctor Who the Music when it came out - and always wanted to get it, but could never find it anywhere at the time sadly..... :emoji_disappointed:
I actually forgot I had it until you mentioned the "Genesis" record. I would give it another listen, but I haven't had a functional turntable in years.

chainsaw_metal1

It has been years since I have seen this serial, but I remember liking it. I need to come into some money so I can invest in some classic Who on DVD.

chainsaw_metal1

I found this on Hulu, and nearly watched it. After watching the trailer, I'm glad I didn't. This looks terrible. I'm certain that the idea of the "regenerated" K-9 was that kids would just make fun of the old look, and had to update it for them. Personally, I think he looks like crap. K-9 shouldn't fly and be all aerodynamic. He should be the tin dog on wheels. Great, now I'm channeling my inner grumpy old man. You kids get off of my lawn!

Gavin

VIP
It doesn't look bad overall, but it's definitely not K9. It always frustrates me when someone decides they want to make a TV series (or movie) with their own ideas and then feels that they've got to use a "known" character to get an audience but don't want to actually use the character. As a series about a flying robot dog and aliens this would be perfectly acceptable. As a series about K9 - not acceptable at all, and I can't believe that anyone who was tricked into watching this as a fan of K9, would have been impressed at all.

persia

Member: Rank 1
Bob Baker owns the rights to K9 and wasn't earning anything so he thought he could create his own series without the BBC. Problem was K9 without the Doctor doesn't really work. Plus they had to tread softly around BBC copyright. No Doctor who monsters, no Doctor Who companions, even the Earth was different. They only vaguely hinted at the show when they talked about what K9 remembered.