alpha128

Member: Rank 3
I watched this story on-line back in 2015.

Pros:
  1. Joy Harrison was a babe!
  2. Elisabeth Sladen looked very nice in her skimpy green outfit
  3. The darkness at the beginning provided an effective atmosphere
  4. The city miniature was well done
Cons:
  1. The Daleks appearance is accompanied by horrible, silly, music
  2. The "hose monster" was silly looking
  3. Has one of the worst cliffhangers ever - Jon Pertwee stares at a floor for a moment and then yells, "Wait a minute!"
Conclusion: It's hard to believe that the director of this went on to helm "The Robots of Death".

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
This one had a unique atmosphere that I loved as a kid - and when I read the Target book.

I loved the concept of a living city that could regenerate itself, and have recently drawn a parallel with The Liberator in Blake's 7, a living citadel in space that could do the same.

I loved the roots of the city being alive too, a la Blake being menaced by a cable on Liberator.

Oh Terry, you recycler you!

Bellall was the greatest companion that never was. Adorable.

The only let down, I think, is Carey Blyton's menace destroying theme for the Daleks. :emoji_alien:

I have never been able to understand why this story has had such a poor standing in the history of the show.

I think it's great!

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
No novelisation.
The New Zealand Doctor Who Fan Club did a series of fan written novelisations of the serials that hadn't been professionally done. Resurrection of the Daleks is here - http://doctorwho.org.nz/archive/resurrection/

They're pretty lightweight versions, basically being not much more than a conversion of the script into novel format. But worth reading just to complete the set.

Doctor Omega

Somebody please find this!

Or at least animate it.

And at least, if animated, it can improve on the toy Daleks at the end! :emoji_alien:

Doctor Omega

One of the wonderful things about Classic who was that it's writers could quietly create brilliant concepts without boasting about how brilliant the upcoming story, episode or concept would be.

They just quietly got on and created concepts (regeneration) and monsters (Cybermen), often out of necessity. (Let's get rid of Hartnell!) or fears (Where is spare part surgery logically taking us?).

Nowadays we will hear that in the upcoming Dalek story the Daleks are going to be scarier than ever. Then a human has a Dalek eye stalk emerge from their head. That's it?

Like I said. Classic series. Quiet brilliance - that endures to this day, despite all the latter day (failed in my opinion) conceited attempts to tweak and improve on those brilliant ideas and concepts.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
They all had the same glowing introduction by Harlan Ellison, praising Doctor Who to the skies.

I wonder what he thought of the JNT era - and of Modern Who?
I don't know what his feeling are on Modern Who, but I've read several quotes from the early days where he bashes Star Wars and Star Trek, but praises Doctor Who very highly. I would be curious how an Ellison written Doctor Who adventure would play out...

Doctor Omega

It would be interesting to see if his patience would be tested by the modern methods of making the show.

He is really good friends with Neil Gaiman of course. Perhaps Neil discussed the possibility with him?

There is, of course, the danger that Modern Who would be stuck with trying to promote an episode by Cordwainer Bird! :emoji_alien: