Review Powerplay: Episode 28

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
068279fdce1180bf44ac258d5fe87db7--spaceships-science-fiction.jpg

powerplay-01.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode....

Avon and Dayna returns to the Liberator only to find it has been taken over by a Federation death-squad led by Captain Del Tarrant. Vila is rescued from the jungle planet Chenga where he finds Cally and Serverlan in a hospital, only to find the hospital in reality is a slaughterhouse, where human organs are stored in banks.

On to the next episode....

VOLCANO

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/volcano-episode-29.3454/

Back to the previous episode....

AFTERMATH

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/aftermath-episode-27.3443/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I really like this episode and it is one of my most watched ones.

I think Michael Sheard brings a lot to the episode and Tarrant is actually a good addition to the cast here. He and Avon talk intelligently to one another with little or that "pawing the ground" that would soon set in. Josette Simon continues to be brilliant and the scenes of Cally and Vila in their predicaments are also entertaining, although when the Hi-Tek ladies turn up it does feel like a bit of a Benny Hill episode!

The organ bank idea is suitably grim and fits in with this harsh universe of the Federation, where life is cheap and power and profit seem to be all that most people care about.

A little lip service paid to Jenna and Blake's whereabouts, but the series will soon forget them in a rather shallow way.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Finding a suitable replacement for Blake was tricky but in Tarrant they did well. He is a good foil for Avon and keeps him in check, otherwise it could have become the Avon show. Tarrant is spiky and bullish and a bit of a know-all show off. By series 4 this will change sadly.
The Chenga scenes with Benny Hill girls were great though I didn't think Vila was that gullible. Nice to see Professor Sorensen from Solos after helping the Mutants is now aiding other primitives!
Seriously it was an excellent plot with the organ bank.
I like the look on Avon's face when Tarrant revealed his anti Federation past, as if he was thinking " Great, got rid of one idealist and here's another damn!"
I'm not sure it was necessary for Tarrant and Dayna to be coded into Zen so quickly, but otherwise a near faultless episode.
9/10

Last edited: