Information Say Hello

Zelena

Member: Rank 2
Well, it seems like the Asian Cinema thread is the busiest thread on this site. Other than our little tribe, not much activity. So it seems like us imdb refugees are still on more of a raft than an island. But whatever. I think some of the other imdb-offshoot sites have more activity, but it's scattered like dust in the wind. I just go with the flow.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Well, it seems like the Asian Cinema thread is the busiest thread on this site. Other than our little tribe, not much activity.
There are other forums and threads on this website that receive a similar level of patronage as yours. Traffic tends to ebb and flow around the website according to the tastes of those online at any particular time. Other forums and threads have been in the lead in the past, presently yours and no one knows what the future might hold.

The important thing is that we have somewhere to go to chat with other people who have similar interests and tastes to what we do. It's also important that we get to enjoy ourselves while doing so.
So it seems like us imdb refugees are still on more of a raft than an island. But whatever. I think some of the other imdb-offshoot sites have more activity, but it's scattered like dust in the wind.
The closure of the IMDb message boards certainly threw the community that was based there into disarray.

Personally, I can't say that I miss it much. However, that's just me.
I just go with the flow.
Always a good idea.

I hope you enjoy your time here. :emoji_relaxed:

Zelena

Always a good idea.
You personally post almost every post on this site, in an effort to pad it out like it's active. It's your site, but be honest.
The fact that a moderator has to pounce in here and reply shows exactly what is missed about the imdb board. It would be appreciated if people could comment without that kind of interference.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
You personally post almost every post on this site, in an effort to pad it out like it's active. It's your site, but be honest.
The fact that a moderator has to pounce in here and reply shows exactly what is missed about the imdb board. It would be appreciated if people could comment without that kind of interference.
Sorry to disagree with you Zelena, the forum IS quite active and ant-mac is not padiing out anything. I think we make this clear on the forum rules that moderations and administrators of this forum are entitled to actively participate on posts as users. We are humans after all, I actively post on several posts that weren't my primary interest but I felt I could give my opinion.

On this forum, the moderators and admins (that mean, us) want to participate and do participate as users, our titles are only there to make sure if someone behaves badly, it does not affect the rest of the community, besides, it's our project and we are happy with it, why wouldn't we participate?

Check this post in case of doubt
https://imdforums.com/threads/imdfs-code-of-conduct-rules.145/

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
pad it out like it's active
To be honest, I’m just grateful for the platform to continue on with what we were doing on the Asian Cinema board over at IMDb. There wasn’t a huge degree of cross-pollination before anyway – if it troubled me, I could always walk across the hall and suggest to the whovians in the next room that Iko Uwais would be the most awesomest choice for the next Doctor!

ant-mac

You personally post almost every post on this site, in an effort to pad it out like it's active.
That's because apart from you, all the other members on this website are actually me... :emoji_wink:

However, as far as I can tell, I am currently responsible for approximately 10 per cent of the posts. As more members join and begin to contribute, I'm sure that percentage will steadily decrease.

As for this website looking active - that might be because it is active. Currently, the top 20 posters on this website have over 100 posts each. Many of them actually have 200 posts or more.
It's your site, but be honest.
It is not my site. It belongs to all of us.

And I am being honest. Vulcan's do not lie. :emoji_vulcan:
The fact that a moderator has to pounce in here and reply shows exactly what is missed about the imdb board.
I am a member first and a moderator second. I answered your earlier post - and this one too - in my capacity as a member.

If I were posting in my capacity as a moderator, this is how I would express myself.

By the way, how does one "pounce" on the internet? I happened to see your post and simply wished to respond to it, as is my right as a member.

And I am sorry if you miss the IMDb message boards. However, they appear to be gone for good, so all we can do is soldier on and do our best.

I do hope you are able to enjoy yourself here. This might not be IMDb, but we all do our best. :emoji_relaxed:
It would be appreciated if people could comment without that kind of interference.
I am a member of IMDF, just like you are. That means that I have the same rights on IMDF as you do. That means I am free to post anywhere on IMDF that I feel like, just like you are.

In that regard, IMDF is just like IMDb used to be, when it still had message boards.

All the best, from a fellow member. :emoji_innocent:

Zelena

To be honest, I’m just grateful for the platform to continue on with what we were doing on the Asian Cinema board over at IMDb.
Yeah I agree -- we followed sitenoise here but it turned out that there are other sites that are far more active. It's only a matter of time before this peters out because there is very little activity aside from the asian board, which is less than ten of us regulars. The fact that I can't say this without two moderators piling in highlights the other thing -- the thing that made the imdb board less toxic than most of the internet was that it was not moderated. They just banned four-letter words and were hands off. This was good for people that are not all-in with facebook etc and the usual toxic atmosphere of forums. It's not a big deal but imdb was a site I was on 'anyway' to read about movies and keep track of what I saw, so the slightest bad vibe from this site, which has no other utility besides the forum, chafes.

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
Yeah I agree -- we followed sitenoise here but it turned out that there are other sites that are far more active. It's only a matter of time before this peters out because there is very little activity aside from the asian board, which is less than ten of us regulars. The fact that I can't say this without two moderators piling in highlights the other thing -- the thing that made the imdb board less toxic than most of the internet was that it was not moderated. They just banned four-letter words and were hands off. This was good for people that are not all-in with facebook etc and the usual toxic atmosphere of forums. It's not a big deal but imdb was a site I was on 'anyway' to read about movies and keep track of what I saw, so the slightest bad vibe from this site, which has no other utility besides the forum, chafes.
I personally would want an IMDb-like set-up because I'm a caveman myself. All I need is a text box where we could write our posts, a few emoticons, a reply button and that's it. The other complimentary buttons, I can live without. I think I remember what you said about our appreciation of our small group, which I echo. The amount of civility is something that is worth keeping, even if the site only has our group as its members. I think its more of the content rather than the number and the appearance of our posts. Hey, if you decide to make your own forum and the Asia group signs up there, I'm not totally against that. As I've said, whichever forum as long as the group I'm accustomed to talk to is there, I'm fine with it.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
eah I agree -- we followed sitenoise here but it turned out that there are other sites that are far more active. It's only a matter of time before this peters out because there is very little activity aside from the asian board, which is less than ten of us regulars. The fact that I can't say this without two moderators piling in highlights the other thing -- the thing that made the imdb board less toxic than most of the internet was that it was not moderated. They just banned four-letter words and were hands off. This was good for people that are not all-in with facebook etc and the usual toxic atmosphere of forums. It's not a big deal but imdb was a site I was on 'anyway' to read about movies and keep track of what I saw, so the slightest bad vibe from this site, which has no other utility besides the forum, chafes.
I'm sorry that's so ungrateful. I paid with tons of money and hours of work to make this site available TO YOU and to all the other members. I ask nothing in return and you complain that we participate?... sorry I am not pounding on you, I am commenting and I dislike your lack of kindness towards this site and the effort put forth to make it happen.

Yet, in my category as moderator I've never censored a single comment of yours nor anyone who gave a honest opinion, why would I ?.

Is this a toxic atmosphere according to you?. I'm sorry that's just ungrateful to me, you're free to roam the internet and post whetever you like but you're coming to our house telling us not to participate because you feel bombared by "moderators" is not nice.

I state my opinion again... do whatever you like with the forums, it's our house, yours too. This is not a competition, if you don't like this forum and want to participate on other more active forums, so be it !

We will not get mad about it, nobody has a contract here. Be free and let people live & comment however they like, us included.

Last edited:

ant-mac

Why is this thread "Stickied"?
Possibly because of the title. It was also started and "stickied" in the very early days of this website - although, technically, we are still in the early days even now.

It made - and still does make - a good initial point of contact with the rest of this particular forum for newcomers. It gives them somewhere to introduce themselves to a community of individuals with - presumably - similar interests or tastes to what they have.

Just a theory.