Information Say Hello

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
And why didn't I get email notifications for alerts now? I used to get it but now I wasn't notified in my email if for example, someone replied to me or quoted my post or the thread I watch had another post.
Not sure exactly why, maybe double check the settings. Alex took the site offline for a bit, yesterday I think, maybe that boinked things. If not, and your settings look correct, post a query in the issues and problems thread:
https://www.imdforums.com/forums/issues-problems.169/
https://www.imdforums.com/forums/issues-problems.169/

sitenoise

Checking to see if my signature works.
In case you are interested at this point you can add your ... essentially what you had on your IMDb profile to the "Personal Details" -> About You section while mucking about editing your profile.

Then for example, click my name under my Avatar and a little box pops up. Click Profile Page. When you're looking at someone's profile page there is the blue bar with these 4 things:
Your "About Me" stuff will be under information. I posted Review there on mine so you could see what I mean

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
Ah..yeah, that's why I didn't see that in my options.

And why didn't I get email notifications for alerts now? I used to get it but now I wasn't notified in my email if for example, someone replied to me or quoted my post or the thread I watch had another post.
Does it work now?

plsletitrain

No, I didn't receive any notification of this reply and when you liked my post. But before, I used to receive a notification of those. Why some ghost's playing with my account now.

ebossert

Member: Rank 3
In case you are interested at this point you can add your ... essentially what you had on your IMDb profile to the "Personal Details" -> About You section while mucking about editing your profile.

Then for example, click my name under my Avatar and a little box pops up. Click Profile Page. When you're looking at someone's profile page there is the blue bar with these 4 things:
Your "About Me" stuff will be under information. I posted Review there on mine so you could see what I mean
Thanks. By the way . . . you're way more beautiful on this board. I'm having trouble holding my composure. :oops:

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
No, I didn't receive any notification of this reply and when you liked my post. But before, I used to receive a notification of those. Why some ghost's playing with my account now.
Did you try to unwatch this thread and then set to watch again?

I have no idea, works fine for me. Wether it be globally on my profile or per set watched thread button. Maybe Alex knows?

plsletitrain

Hmmm.. I can receive notifications for watched threads. I just received a notification of ebossert posting on the recently seen thread. Replies and posts quoting mine is what I can't receive.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Yes, the imdb way is the "oldie" way and forums had evolved so much since then... in fact, it's one of the reasons they are closing. They couldn't improve the system and it grow way out of their hands, they just leave it there to grow exponentially without adding new features in years.
Meanwhile, the rest of the forum software grow older, had to endure the "facebook stage" and added tons of features to make posting more natural / faster.
Yes, if you come from imdb, it can take some time to adjust but believe me, once you get into it, you won't believe how old imdb was.

Do you know you can just mark a text someone is saying and you get an instant quote reply ?

sitenoise

Hold on you young whippersnappers. It's not better just because it's newer. I will explain it. Then you guys can explain how to work around the problem of this new software

plsletitrain

Yes, the imdb way is the "oldie" way and forums had evolved so much since then... in fact, it's one of the reasons they are closing. They couldn't improve the system and it grow way out of their hands, they just leave it there to grow exponentially without adding new features in years.
Meanwhile, the rest of the forum software grow older, had to endure the "facebook stage" and added tons of features to make posting more natural / faster.
Yes, if you come from imdb, it can take some time to adjust but believe me, once you get into it, you won't believe how old imdb was.

Do you know you can just mark a text someone is saying and you get an instant quote reply ?

Hehe I wouldn't mind being called oldie. And I don't think the reason for the closure is system failure etc. etc. I think it's just sweet talk for "the boards don't generate revenue for us".

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Hehe I wouldn't mind being called oldie. And I don't think the reason for the closure is system failure etc. etc. I think it's just sweet talk for "the boards don't generate revenue for us".
It's more of both things. Since the forum never generated any revenue because they didn't saw how to do it they left it there to rot, for years and now they just won't handle all that load.

Right now they seem to have reduce the ammount of power they gave to the servers hosting the forum because I'm getting several Errors between posts that I never saw before. I'm sure they turned down the hardware as they are preparing to dismantle everything.

sitenoise

Sorry, I'm used to the IMDb way that when I see someone's post above mine I automatically assume I'm replying to him so I haven't clicked on the reply button in my recent posts. I need more time to adjust.
You hit the nail on the head, my friend. Allow me to explain this mindfuck.

Let's say, for example, in the Recently Seen thread,
  1. you Do NOT want to be notified of the back and forth about ugly men between comrade Z and me
  2. you do want to be notified if someone addresses something you've said (I say 'adrresses' (not reply) because if they do that thing of just typing a response in the quick edit window and don't mention your name. Boom!
Assuming your settings are:
  • Replies to a watched thread (Unchecked because you don't want to be notified when Z and I go off)
    Someone replies to a thread you are watching

• Attaches a file to a watched thread (this doesn't apply right now)
    Someone replies and attaches a file to a thread you are watching

• Quotes your message (Checked)
    Someone directly quotes one of your messages in a thread

• Mentions you in a message (Checked)

So ... You can't set it up to be notified if someone replies To you without being notified of all the other posts in the thread.

The whippersnappers are going to say "Yes you can, and those are the settings you want". But it fails if someone uses the Quick Reply Editor.

Whippersnappers will say the error is in using the Quick Reply Editor improperly. Okay, you got me a little bit there, but ....

There was no option to fail in the old system. bleh4.gif

Sometimes I intentionally don't use "Reply" because I think it's ugly to reply to a post with that post quoted right below it, unless quoting it is what is helpful. There are Quick Replies all over this forum. Take a look. People do it.

This vectors into old school nested threads. But I'm not going there now.

plsletitrain

You've got some very good points there sitenoise. I hope the admins will look into that. I also made a thread about it on the suggestions board.

Personally, my email is my primary site. I reply very fast because I receive notifications of it. However, if I don't get notified if someone replied to me specifically, I still had to refresh the page to look at the alerts button. What if I don't? It will take me some minutes to know someone replied to me.