Review Series 11 (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Rumour...

• Bradley Walsh's character is married to the Sharon D. Clarke character and is the stepfather of the Tosin Cole's character.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I can see why I forgot it. 2 minutes after watching it again and its already slipping from my brain. Plus the first attempt at an orchestral version of the theme was fairly ordinary. The new series was much more effective in its interpretation of the theme (although for me this will always be my favourite version)

johnnybear

Apart from Jon Pertwee's first series they have always brought back old monsters or villains to combat the new Doctor! And in series seven the Doctor had the returning UNIT to smooth the transition and then later on in the twelfth series as well! Patrick Troughton had the Daleks in his first story, Tom had the Sontarans, the Daleks and the Cybermen in his first series while Davison had the Master in his first story and the Cybermen later on in his first series! Colin's first full series had Cybermen, the Master, Sontarans and the second Doctor and Daleks and a new foe in the Rani! Sylvester's only returning enemy in his first series was the Rani and that was another reason why that one was one of the worst series! The new Doctor Who series have had Autons and Daleks for Eccleston and old friends like Sarah Jane and K-9, Cybermen and Daleks for Tennant! Matt Smith had Daleks, cheap knock offs set during the time of Ark in Space, pseudo Silurians and armless Cybermen! So I'd say unless they really, really want their new series to fail they need to bring back something from the past as this pill is going to be a lot harder to swallow than any time ever in the past!
JB

Doctor Omega

I think a potential problem that is looming is that there seems to be a genuine planned boycott by the section of fandom that has been offended by either the gender change - or the suspicion that said gender change is a political decision.

If this boycott is seen through, that is a sizeable section of your audience who are not going to give the show a chance.

Add to that the possibility that a fair proportion of the people who cheered the casting of a female Doctor - and clicked like on the you tube reveal that popped up on their youtube stream - may have no interest in actually watching proceedings - coz "sci fi is boring"!

A third problem is merchandise. If it don't sell due to this "bold" new iteration of the show, then the Grim Reaper will be - if not sharpening his show-cropping scythe, at least blowing the dust off it.

All these concerns may be unfounded.

Jodie may win those boycotters over by episode four with word of mouth at both her brilliance and the amazing scripts that have been written for her.

Returning monsters will help, (but it might not be a good idea at this delicate moment, to put two fingers up at them with female Sontarans etc? :emoji_alien: Or maybe it is - I don't know... If you are gonna be as bold as you claim, go the whole hog!)

All of the people who clicked like may indeed tune in and we will have record ratings for the show that make the Tennant days look like the show was unpopular back then in comparison.

The merchandise may start to sell like hotcakes after the recent lengthy slump.

My own perception of it is that the current show has had it's day. It has had about half the life of the original and, given that the world seems to move twice as fast as back then, that's a loooong time and about equivalent to the original.

If they were going to be really bold, I think they should have ended the entire original saga with the death of the Capaldi Doctor, who so easily - with a few lines of dialogue and script tinkering - could have been the 13th and final life.

Then they should have restarted the show as year zero.

The past show ended and archived. Over.

And now a new show.

Jodie as the first Doctor.

And the Doctor is a woman now - and will always be a woman.

That, in my opinion, is true boldness.

The fan base would not be divided. This show would be starting again. It would have to earn it's own fans.

And, to be honest, in my (kicking and screaming) head canon, this is what has happened.

johnnybear

Sadly I am one of those fans that isn't interested in the new series! I don't like the idea of a female Doctor and think it is part of this on going conspiracy to change the minds of the public with this no gender agenda! (pardon the pun) Apart from that I did not enjoy the Capaldi era one little bit! I struggled with the Matt Smith stories and disliked most of what we got but I endured it shall we say! Capaldi comes into the series like a fart trapped in a bottle literally! A Tyrannosaurus swallows the TARDIS in Victorian London? Oh come on!!!! I thought him being a long term fan of the sixties and seventies might have forced Moffhack to calm down a bit but alas not as his writing got worse, a lot worse!!! By the time of his exit I really did dislike the show and I've been a fan since Troughton's great days! So it's just going to be a film or whatever on Saturday nights in October or whenever it's shown, even if they'd picked the guy from Death in Paradise I doubt I'd be watching come winter but I'm now as sure as i'll ever be!
JB

Doctor Omega

Capaldi comes into the series like a fart trapped in a bottle literally! A Tyrannosaurus swallows the TARDIS in Victorian London? Oh come on!!!! I thought him being a long term fan of the sixties and seventies might have forced Moffhack to calm down a bit but alas not as his writing got worse, a lot worse!!!

There were reports in the early days of "creative friction/conflict" between Capaldi and Moffat. Then those rumours died out.

I suspect that Capaldi has maybe been as frustrated with Moffat as we have, but at some point gave up his struggle and has toed the party line since, perhaps realising that it was a battle he could not win, so started doing what he was told and collecting the cheques.

Just a theory.

Doctor Omega

Sharon D. Clarke was on that Loose Ends radio show where she mentioned she's playing Mary, the wife of Bradley Walsh's character Graham. Lee Mack reckons he's also gonna make a brief appearance in Series 11.

Doctor Omega

The production is now heading off to India, where the gang will find out more about the country’s past and perhaps Yasmin’s own family heritage.

The next series of 10 episodes, which hits BBC1 in the autumn, will see three stories set in the future, three in the past, and the rest in the present day.

Doctor Omega

“Family” is a key watchword for the Chris Chibnall era of Doctor Who

A family vibe on screen – and hopefully lots of families watching – is a major aim say show insiders

1-Chibnall-Whittaker-c80f801.jpg

Talk to those in the know about the hopes and dreams of Chris Chibnall-era Doctor Who and there is one word on their lips – family.

That certainly seems to be the watchword for the new era as Jodie Whitaker takes charge of the Tardis for series 11, according to production sources.

Not only does that seem to be the desired “vibe” between the new companions played by Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill, who will follow Whittaker’s Doctor through Time and Space. But new showrunner Chibnall is also said to be very keen to make it a show that more families will sit down and watch.

Filming has already started on the new run late last autumn and the precise relationship between the multi-companion set up has not been revealed.

But whatever their relationship, the feeling according to one production source is that the adventurers are a family – with Walsh’s character Graham taking a “parental” role.

“The first Doctor played by William Hartnell was a grandfather to Susan and he had the companions Ian and Barbara in these early adventures,” said a source. “Chris’s show will be very much its own thing but that is kind of the vibe.”

Another source added: “There is a feeling that the drama has been complicated by self-referential plotting at times and Chris wants his Doctor Who to be a show notable for its emotional intelligence.”

Last year Chibnall revealed in an interview with the Royal Television Society’s magazine Television that he was after “risk and boldness” with his version of the show – a fact demonstrated by his decision to cast the first female Doctor.

But it seems that his plans also involve a keen desire to restore its appeal as a family show, as noted by Chibnall’s friend and collaborator, the director James Strong.

“It used to be – and I stress this is my personal opinion – at the heart of the schedule, an unmissable family show and, for some reason, it’s slipped a bit from the national consciousness,” said Strong in the same piece.

“For me, when it goes towards storylines that are a little bit more for the fans, I think you can lose that general appeal. I think Chris is going to offer a slightly different take on what the show should be… I think Chris, essentially, writes emotional thrillers, and that’s perfect for that show.”

Jodie Whittaker’s very first episode in the BBC sci-fi series will be 65 minutes long, properly introducing the Thirteenth Doctor and her Tardis team before reverting to a shorter 50-minute format for the series’ nine subsequent instalments.

The Corporation has confirmed that the new series will air in the autumn – with many speculating that it will begin in October.

The Corporation also revealed a new logo for the show at the recent BBC Worldwide showcase.

A BBC spokeswoman declined to comment.

Doctor Omega

Chris, essentially, writes emotional thrillers, and that’s perfect for that show.

Strange...

I always thought that it was about thrilling, fantastical adventures in time and space, with crazy monsters - and genuinely terrified companions who still did brave things!

If I want to see an emotional thriller I will put on FATAL ATTRACTION.

johnnybear

There were reports in the early days of "creative friction/conflict" between Capaldi and Moffat. Then those rumours died out.

I suspect that Capaldi has maybe been as frustrated with Moffat as we have, but at some point gave up his struggle and has toed the party line since, perhaps realising that it was a battle he could not win, so started doing what he was told and collecting the cheques.

Just a theory.
I've often thought that too! I used to think he would have been a great Doctor considering his own teenage years as a fan, but after viewing his series week in and week out I thought he can't be surely? Maybe Moffhack bribed him with his Cyberman ending if he obeyed without question and just counted his cash afterwards?
JB

Last edited: