Review Series 11 (2018)

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Ian Chesterton, the character has been ignored too for many years but after he was unable to return for Mawdryn Undead (it was better suited to the Brigadier to be honest) but with the fiftieth anniversary having been and gone it was madness not to get him back even for a five minute appearance and especially Carole Ann Ford as Susan! She most definitely should have turned up in the 50th anniversary special!
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Full list of Series 11 directors according to Cultbox.

1. Jamie Childs
2. Mark Tonderai
3. Mark Tonderai
4. Sallie Aprahamian
5. Jennifer Perrott
6. Sallie Aprahamian
7. Jamie Childs
8. Jennifer Perrott
9. Jamie Childs
10. Jamie Childs

Doctor Omega

“In Cardiff there’s a real buzz about it” – Russell T Davies teases new Doctor Who series with Jodie Whittaker

The former Doctor Who showrunner has some news from the production team in Wales

RTDJW-346f61c.jpg

Speaking to Matt Baker and Alex Jones on The One Show on Tuesday night, former Doctor Who showrunner Davies said: “Down in the Cardiff there’s a real buzz about it. People I know working on the show keep saying, ‘It’s brilliant, it’s brilliant, it’s brilliant.’”

On Jodie Whittaker’s casting as the first female Doctor, Davies added: “Science fiction is interested in the future. This is the future: get left behind or join in, that’s what I say.”

Doctor Omega

Jodie Whittaker on filming Doctor Who: “I smile every single morning going to work”

The star spoke about the "epic" new season of the sci-fi series on the Bafta TV Awards red carpet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-44102239/doctor-who-absolutely-incredible

jodie-whittaker-doctor-who-43ae46c.jpg

Speaking to the BBC on the Red Carpet ahead of the awards, the new Doctor spoke about series 11 of the BBC’s flagship sci-fi show.

“It’s like nothing I’ve ever done before, it’s absolutely incredible,” she said. “I must smile every single morning knowing I’m going to work to do it, I’m very lucky – it’s brilliant.”

We’re still in the dark as to what form the new series will take following Chris Chibnall taking over from Steven Moffat as showrunner, but the star assures us that it’s likely to be even bigger and bolder than what has come before it. Whittaker and Walsh will also be joined by new stars Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill. The ten-episode series is expected to air this autumn on the BBC.

“It feels incredibly epic,” Whittaker said. “The ambition is wonderful, and something we’re fighting every day to have the energy to back it up with.”

Sounds… brilliant!

Last edited:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Brilliant! We are being told it's brilliant...so it must be brilliant! Must be! Because we don't have a mind of our own and let us not forget how many times we were told that moffat's stories were brilliant as well! And actually they...they weren't!
JB

Doctor Omega

Jodie Whittaker interviewed about Series 11 at the BAFTA TV Awards!

When Jodie Whittaker was interviewed at the #BAFTATV Awards. She didn't let any spoilers slip! Doctor Who returns in a brand new era, this Autumn on BBC One.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Speaking to Matt Baker and Alex Jones
Please reassure me that this Alex Jones is a man of at least some intelligence and taste, and not the Alex Jones known to us Americans as the tin foil hat wearing, conspiracy theory pushing, alt-right asslicker?
No Christmas Special this year either, that I know of
BOO!

Since I'm the only fan left on the boards who is still looking forward to the new series, I'll let you all know how it is. However, the thing that bothers me it this. Chibnal really doesn't seem like he actually gives a shit about doing the show. Davies and Moffat at least cared about the show, and even in their missteps, I got the impression that they were actually trying and actually cared about the program. Chibnal seems like he has zero fucks to give about the show. Is there a reason we couldn't find someone who really wanted to do it, and had a passion for it?

Doctor Omega

I see what you are saying, CSM.

I never liked the fact that he was hand-picked by Moffat. Nor that Moffat had to "convince" Chibnall to take the post over "several large sherrys".

Yet he says he has "a five year plan".

So sounds like he intends to stick around.

Given what seems to be his innate lack of genuine passion, or perhaps even true vision, I wonder if the BBC will end up having different plans to his as time goes on? :emoji_head_bandage:

I think fan showrunners are a bad idea, in retrospect and, for all my criticisms, as a fan I think I would f*** the show up even more than it has been, despite my best intentions. I am too close to the show to have a sensible perspective.

Perhaps what is needed is someone who is actually not a fan, in any way, shape or form, but who has a bloody good sense of storytelling and respects a good mythos when he sees one. Like Holmes, Mac Hulke, Barry Letts, Terrance Dicks.

Good storyteller first. Good fan unnecessary.

I would love to be there on his first day of this theoretical - non-fan - showrunner, when he called all the fan-hangers on like Gary Russell, Toby Hadoke, Nick Briggs, Clayton Hickman, who have somehow made themselves into quasi-celebrities and mouthpieces, feeding off the show like vampires - and tells them that he has put a restraining order on them to stay away from the show's offices. And announces to the press that the past of New Who is not something that interests him. In the same way that Graham Williams did his own thing, regardless of the show's past.

Twitter would be on fire with bile, but we might get a great show back again.

JNT not a fan, but he knew when to veto the Doctor using a bazooka on a Dalek, that "fan-writer" Ben Aaronovitch wanted to include.

I honestly think that the rot inherent in WHO is a direct result of fans running the asylum.

Maybe time for a change in that regard?

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Good storyteller first. Good fan unnecessary.
It's funny, because you can find those people who tend to be both, but then, you deal with studio interference. Whedon was a fan and a good storyteller (unless you have read about his treatment for a Wonder Woman film, which sounds like a pile of shit) who made Avengers a fantastic film. Then you have Geoff Johns, who is both a fan and has written some of the best stories for DC Comics. However, some of his work in the movies has been ruined by studio heads who have no idea about what to actually do with a comic book movie, and insist on getting in there where they don't belong. At least he seems to be actively trying to fix the DCU, but I think it's too little too late.

But yes, get a good storyteller. That's all we're asking.

Doctor Omega

It always impresses me how some youtubers can articulate all my own concerns about the show much more clearly than I can.

Yeah, I think this guy makes a lot of very valid points, that I completely agree with.