Review Series 11 (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
30441721_10157278415617067_1994421488995794944_n.jpg

Doctor Who, seen filming in Cardiff Bay

The crew of BBC's Doctor Who, shot scenes from series 8 today in Cardiff Bay. The scene involved supporting cast and a victorian era restaurant, which was the subject of some strange goings on.

Doctor Omega

News from Doctor Who Magazine 524

News from the magazine is scant. In the Gallifrey Guardian section, it stated, "Work on the new series of Doctor Who continued throughout March, despite the unseasonably snowy conditions that affected much of the UK, and principal recording on several episodes has now been completed."
I can tell you, based on several online CVs, three filming blocks are complete, consisting of two episodes each, directed by Jamie Childs, Mark Tonderai and Sallie Aprahamian.
In other news, Russell T Davies took over the Production News column and wrote, "NO WAY!!!!!! Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!" in reaction to learning the name of a Series 11 guest star after a "No, not him", reportedly from Chris Chibnall when Davies stated, "Naah, too late, he blew it.", likely referring to Alan Cumming.

Doctor Omega

The following are, apparently, 11 "clues" that have been released about series 11 - and have been discussed on Digital Spy....

11 clues for Series 11 in no particular order...

1 - dry your hair

2 - what does that button do?

3 - is that a mask?

4 - sounds familiar

5 - so...are they a pet?

6 - the more the merrier

7 - is that bigger on the inside too?

8 - well, that was an early shock!

9 - jingle bells

10 - same time next year

11 - M&S do a good range

Doctor Omega

Potential MAJOR SPOILER.....

Found this on my PLANET MONDAS site travels....

It is either authentic... or someone has fabricated a load of rubbish.....

Please proceed with caution if you don't want to spoil any surprises for yourself.....

South African here with inside info on one episode of series 11 MAJOR SPOILERS

submitted 10 hours ago by Pretoria1988

Yeah it's one of those.... thread, I know, I know. However, i'll just get straight to it and yes this is a new account for obvious reasons, I am lucky enough to have a few contacts here in my country who got to work on the episode filmed in Macassar Beach Pavilion which was previously a water park. The episode in question is set on a distant planet, with the now abandoned park serving as the ruins of a once advanced city. Here is what my contacts say, sorry for some weird ways of saying things, my native language is Afrikaans.

There are Sontarans and they are human sized ones not those little guys like Strax.

they are more like classic Sontarans. Also locals playing what looked like human refugees. Sontarans in question shot dead some said humans who they say were infected Sontaran leader apologizes to crowd of humans and a little girl. Say he did was had to be done.

Leader was reported by my contacts to have a highly ornamental club weapon. Sontarans have white warpaint, and their skin is a range of colour from pale, yellowish and somewhat black.

Sontaran leader with club could be heard telling the doctor what a ''joke'' the Sontarans have become (maybe reference to small sontarans) and how they are the last bastion of pure non cloned Sontarans.

Enemy is not the human beings. But another enemy unseen. Who Sontarans and humans are both afraid of. Possible series arc villain? very intrigued by this myself.

Crane stood in as spaceship as far as I'm aware. Contact says Sontarans find redemption and give Doctor and humans time to escape. (All actors looking at crane with green screen in horror).

Sontaran leader point gun and his club at Doctor and tells her to get in her Tardis and leave as she refused to leave Sontarans behind to face their death. Doctor eventually agrees, and says she will stop the threat, contacts said Jodie looked terrified at the crane (meaning enemy must be very scary even to the Doctor) Tardis gets moved by the crew and Sontarans move towards crane bravely all dying in the process. crew did explosions around them.

That is it. I am very excited to see Sontarans back and I trust these people 100% but hey i'm just a dude on internet. Wait and see I guess. I have no info on any other episode. I am just lucky to know some who worked there.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
In series twelve and twenty two it was a tradition to pit a new Doctor against The Sontarans! But also Daleks appeared in series four, twelve, twenty two as well like The Cybermen who appeared in series four, twelve, nineteen and twenty two to herald in a new Doctor! Shame that this series we haven't got one! :emoji_astonished:
JB

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
In series twelve and twenty two it was a tradition to pit a new Doctor against The Sontarans! But also Daleks appeared in series four, twelve, twenty two as well like The Cybermen who appeared in series four, twelve, nineteen and twenty two to herald in a new Doctor! Shame that this series we haven't got one! :emoji_astonished:
JB
As you've noted, it has long been a tradition on DOCTOR WHO to bring back an old enemy or a familiar face or element from the past, to ease the transition from the old Doctor over to the new Doctor. On this occasion, I think it's quite clear what familiar element from the past is needed to reassure viewers going forward...

A dick.

Doctor Omega

He seems a nice enough guy, really, but I suspect a wrong fit for the gig.

In a car crash kind of way. :emoji_head_bandage:

Hence why Moffat talked him into doing it, overcoming Chibnall's reluctance.

Good old Moffat. Protecting the show, as always. :emoji_disappointed:

Doctor Omega

As you've noted, it has long been a tradition on DOCTOR WHO to bring back an old enemy or a familiar face or element from the past, to ease the transition from the old Doctor over to the new Doctor. On this occasion, I think it's quite clear what familiar element from the past is needed to reassure viewers going forward...

A dick.

Seconded!

I really think they have shot themselves, perhaps fatally, in the foot at a time when the fanbase did not need dividing.

And sorry Moffat, but there has, indeed, been a backlash.

Here is that recent Nuremberg Rally, where Moffat said there had been no backlash at all - and anybody protesting, or having a contrary view got called an "asshole".

Doctor Omega

JB
Agreed.

Any returning monsters, companions or whatever, will be the programme makers trying to polish a turd, I think.

I have zero faith that this season is going to be any kind of a spectacular success.

But I guess all we can do now is wait to see who is right and who is wrong.

Regardless of Moffat's crowing about "Eighty percent approval on social media!" :emoji_alien:

johnnybear

The only thing that would get me to watch the new series is an appearance by the late, great Patrick Troughton! And we all know how impossible that would be don't we! :emoji_wink:
JB

johnnybear

It's so mad that they didn't snap him up while they could even if it was for an appearance as the Third Doctor! Same with the Brig, why they didn't get him written in to act with Tennant or Smith when they could have baffles me! I've heard that he was never well enough but he did that SJS episode didn't he...
JB

Doctor Omega

That guy ain't a bit like Troughton!!! Even his own son couldn't do it convincingly so how can a mate of the writer or producer?
JB

I can't help thinking that - rather than just having a bit of fun as a fan - Gattis may have been actually pitching to play the third Doctor with these photos.

The danger is that, with his mates in charge, I wouldn't be surprised if he popped up at some point!

Maybe that danger has passed, as Chibnall seems to have dispensed with his services as a writer for a start.

Doctor Omega

Same with the Brig, why they didn't get him written in to act with Tennant or Smith when they could have baffles me! I've heard that he was never well enough but he did that SJS episode didn't he...

I read that he was actually hurt that he never got asked back.

Another opportunity was lost with William Russell, who was also keen to make an appearance....

They even had it set up perfectly, of course, with episodes set at Coal Hill School, where he was the governor.

As it is, he would have been lucky to get a spit and cough appearance in an episode of CLASS, that quickly dumped and forgotten show, had it not been cancelled.

I kept hoping for us to, at least enter a scene where we catch the tail end of a conversation with him and Capaldi..... "Thankyou governor!","Thankyou, Doctor....!", but it seemed he was not deemed even worthy of that.

Last edited:

Gavin

VIP
Another opportunity was lost with William Russell, who was also keen to make an appearance....
Given that they went so far as to indicate he was a governor on the school board I always assumed they were setting him up for at least a cameo appearance. I was stunned when he never showed up at all. The Caretaker was the perfect opportunity for an appearance. A whole episode set in the school. And I was also disappointed that they never made the effort with the Brigadier. Even if he was in poor health, a short cameo, even as a video call from Brazil, could have been managed.