Review Series 12

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Donna was my favourite companion too for the exact same reason. Her portrayal of a person thrust into that lifestyle was much more realistic.She was scared when told she had to tackle a Sontaran and - as you say - the fact that she didn't fancy the Doctor made her the nearest thing to a Classic Who companion.

I thought that Pearl Mackie was far better than the part that she had been given - to the point that I think she has it in her to progress to movie acting and Hollywood. She has a star quality that I felt she could not really make the most of in the role of Bill.

Bradley Walsh is the only cast member of the current line up that I think is a truly believable actor, because he isn't trying too hard. I think you can, by way of contrast, however, see the acting - or even lack of acting - showing on Jodie's Doctor, Yasmin and Ryan.

Yes, the Clara show was ridiculous. I also always felt that the programme expected me to think Amy and Rory were amazing. I never did. I never cared two hoots about them or their Pond Life Minisodes - and was glad when they went. Why the Doctor went into mourning and seclusion after finally getting rid of them I have no idea. I thought he should have been cheering. The Paternoster Gang were also a waste of scriptwriter's ink too, imo. I suspect Moffat was angling for a spin off with that ridiculous trio. Thank God it didn't happen.

And, while I think he should hand over the reigns to someone who actually wants to do the job, I will definitely give Chibnall credit in that we have not been subjected (yet) to an interminable farewell or bogus death scene. Perhaps he was as fed up of them as we were. :emoji_grin:

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Maybe Moffat invented the Paternoster Gang because he was jealous of Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures - although in the case of the former he really had nothing to envy.

Not only was Donna the best companion, for once RTD had the balls not to undo her tragic ending - although, as it has been pointed out, why didn’t the half human Doctor go crazy too? But whatever, yes, her arc was the best one. Mickey’s was the second best (but RTD spoiled it with that last shot of him and Martha being married - that really makes no sense to me, Martha should have been married to Tom). The only gutsy ending in NuWho.

I’m still on the fence about Whittaker. I wonder if Chibnall really knows what to do with her. It’s nice to have a woman Doctor but I would have liked another year of Capaldi and I thought he was robbed. Walsh is definitely the best actor and character in this ensemble, but Yaz and Ryan weren’t given much to do. I’ll wait to judge them until I see the next season.

Pearl Mackie was wonderful, I agree with you.

Doctor Omega

Found on PLANET MONDAS forum.....

Some rumour circulating around GB that the regeneration is still on for Christmas 2020, and that there will also still be a new year special for a new Doctor. Series 12 is said to be eight episodes, and the BBC are thinking of dumping them on I-Player first.

Doctor Omega

It's just strictly rumours at the moment, but I suspect it to be the truth myself.

I think, despite the spin the BBC puts out, that the Whittaker/Chibnall era has gone down like a lead balloon with a large majority of both the public and long term fans of the show. (21 percent Audience Rating for Series 11 now on Rotten Tomatoes, as opposed to 69 percent for the "less than widely loved Capaldi" and his series 10) And more importantly, I think the merchandising of the show has died a death.

The BBC is not going to want to admit to failure, but will wish to extricate themselves from the current era as gracefully as they possibly can, probably over-ruling Chibnall in his vision for series 12. (I am expecting sweeping cosmetic changes). They have little choice but to give Jodie another series, but are probably eyeing other potential Doctors as we speak.

That's just my, admittedly biased, take on it, but only time will tell of course. :emoji_alien:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
The Paternoster Gang were also a waste of scriptwriter's ink too, imo. I suspect Moffat was angling for a spin off with that ridiculous trio. Thank God it didn't happen.
I don't get the hate for The Paternoster Gang. I would have loved to have at least seen one mini-series to see them have an adventure without The Doctor. I am able to admit now, though, that a full series with them would have caused me to hunt down the actor that played Strax and give him a proper throttling.
Maybe Moffat invented the Paternoster Gang because he was jealous of Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures - although in the case of the former he really had nothing to envy.
I will have no one besmirching the brilliance of Torchwood, at least not the first two series. I love me some Captain Jack. I may be straight, but lock me in a closet with him for five minutes and I guarantee nothing.

The Seeker

We shall see!

Less than widely loved Capaldi my fat pasty ass. How could anyone not love that man. He’s my favorite Doctor, even if Moffat screwed him royally with all the personality changes and sunglasses and hoodies and the guitar and less-than-stellar stories. The fact that he was SO GOOD despite all that shows what a great actor he is.

Doctor Omega

He is definitely my favourite of the Modern Doctors. Troughton is my fave of the Classics.

I would have loved to have at least seen one mini-series to see them have an adventure without The Doctor.
One story would have been fine, just so long as they ran into Redjac on those Victorian Streets. And just this once, everybody dies!! :emoji_innocent:

The Seeker

I will have no one besmirching the brilliance of Torchwood, at least not the first two series. I love me some Captain Jack. I may be straight, but lock me in a closet with him for five minutes and I guarantee nothing.
If it wasn’t for Jack the show would have been unwatchable. The first two series? You’re nuts! The third one was king, Ianto finally got a likable personality and they killed him off. Well the killing off gave it some pathos but it’s a shame we couldn’t have gotten a glimpse of his sweet relationship with Jack in the seasons beforehand. The simultaneous death of Tosh and Owen really touched me though.

The fourth series is a mixed bag. I’m not sure that’s how the world would have reacted if people ceased to die - in fact incinerating them seems like a good idea to me, who wants to live like that?

Doctor Omega

Less than widely loved Capaldi my fat pasty ass. How could anyone not love that man. He’s my favorite Doctor, even if Moffat screwed him royally with all the personality changes and sunglasses and hoodies and the guitar and less-than-stellar stories. The fact that he was SO GOOD despite all that shows what a great actor he is.

Peter Davison did great in ANDROZANI and Peter Capaldi would have blown everybody away if his finale had been of the same calibre. Broken, bruised and bloodied after a dreadfully traumatic adventure, dying on the Tardis floor while saving the life of one tiny human.

I think when they went for an "epic", yet whimsical, team up with a bogus first Doctor and epic speeches, they ended up small and robbed him of a high-watermark exit. They let him down right to the last.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
You’re nuts!
That's between my therapist and I! You stay out of it, missy! :emoji_wink:

Yeah, the third season is pretty solid (again, Capaldi!), and the downer ending was really surprising and ballsy. I just love the first two, because it's fun SF in the world of WHO, but a little more adult. I like the entire crew of the first two seasons (Tosh is a take her or leave her character), and I was so pissed when they killed Owen off.
The fourth series is a mixed bag. I’m not sure that’s how the world would have reacted if people ceased to die - in fact incinerating them seems like a good idea to me, who wants to live like that?
I dig the fourth season, and they ideas are solid, but overall, it felt like it was missing something that made me enjoy what came before.

The Seeker

I think when they went for an "epic", yet whimsical, team up with a bogus first Doctor and epic speeches, they ended up small and robbed him of a high-watermark exit. They let him down right to the last.
That dreadful speech. Remember, be kind, blah blah blah. And yet his delivery was magnificent.

Did Moffat ever watch a First Doctor episode? Seriously? He had no idea.

Doctor Omega

No disrespect to Jodie, but - based on what I have seen of her - I do not think she could ever, ever, in a million years, do a wordless scene like this........

A perpetual and ancient traveller, resuming their life, after the "friends" have disappeared once more, with the only eternal and absolutely faithful companion that they will ever have, The Tardis......

I honestly do not think she has it within herself. And yet Capaldi was (seemingly) pushed out to make way for what they thought would be popular.

For me, this one silent scene alone, places him in the pantheon of the greatest Doctors of all.......

And he didn't have to say a thing.....

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Doctor Who Series 12: photos from South Africa filming

Some photos related to Doctor Who filming near Cape Town, South Africa have emerged from the official Doctor Who, Mandip Gill’s and Tosin Cole’s and one other Instagram account.
http://cultbox.co.uk/news/doctor-who-series-12-photos-from-south-africa-filming

Details are scant but it appears that the bulk of the filming is occurring in a remote area of South Africa with access to both the mountains and the seashore. While the cast is staying in Cape Town, they are transported to a filming base daily, possibly situated in Table Mountain National Park.

In fact, quite a few scenes have been filmed on an unknown beach.
Incidentally, the Doctor Who Series 11 Production Designer Arwel Wyn Jones is not involved in Series 12, having chosen to work with Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss on Dracula. There is no word on who was chosen for Doctor Who Series 12 Production Designer.