Review Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
China Drops “Star Wars” Title From “Solo”

more-solo-reshoots-on-the-way-696x464.jpg

The Chinese market has never been big on “Star Wars,” and that was reflected more than ever in the disappointing results for “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” late last year which was pulled after two weeks due to a huge dropoff.

Now, in an attempt to make sure the upcoming young Han Solo movie doesn’t suffer the same fate, a new report (via Twitter indicates the “Star Wars” name has been taken completely out of the film’s “Solo: A Star Wars Story” title. Instead, it will be called “Ranger Solo” in the Chinese release.

The talk comes as filmmaker Reed Morano (“The Handmaid’s Tale”) has shot down reports about her potentially directing a new “Star Wars” spin-off film. The reports began after Morano confirmed she had a 2.5 hour meeting with Lucasfilm, and now Morano tells IMDb: “No, I’m not doing Star Wars. Will you stop adding fuel to the rumors. It’s just a meeting, and that’s all I can say.”

“Solo: A Star Wars Story” (aka. “Ranger Solo”) opens in May.

Doctor Omega

“Solo” Gets A Super Bowl Ad After All?

solo-gets-a-super-bowl-ad-after-all-696x464.jpg

Trade paper The Hollywood Reporter says that according to their industry insiders, the first footage from “Solo: A Star Wars Story” is expected to air during Super Bowl LII – a contrast to reports the other day which suggested it was unlikely.

Whether it could be the actual trailer, or a cut down 30-second TV spot of a longer trailer which would be attached to the release of “Black Panther,” is not clear. Disney has declined to comment regarding its Super Bowl plans but this has been floated as a possibility for some time.

The game is charging $5 million for a 30-second spot and studios who’ve agreed to that will be advertising the likes of “Mission: Impossible – Fallout,” “Skyscraper,” the third “Cloverfield” film and “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” which are all expected to get trailers. In fact, ‘Fallen Kingdom’ is getting a whopping 90-second one. We’re also likely to get previews for “Avengers: Infinity War” and/or “A Wrinkle in Time”.

“Solo: A Star Wars Story” opens in late May.

Doctor Omega

I don't think he looks anything like Harrison Ford at all. I get more of a Jack Black vibe off him than anything.

I know that we will have to wait and see, but fired directors, stories of an acting coach - and, more recently, rumours that Disney have already all but written this off as a money-losing disaster, do little to inspire confidence.

Perhaps the only positive element to emerge from this might be Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian? But Hollywood notoriously traditionally washes it's hands of anyone connected to a flop, so this may be his only outing as that character?

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
The game is charging $5 million for a 30-second spot and studios who’ve agreed to that will be advertising the likes of “Mission: Impossible – Fallout,” “Skyscraper,” the third “Cloverfield” film and “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” which are all expected to get trailers.
Seriously? $5million for 30 seconds? For movies like Mission: Impossible, Jurassic World and a Star Wars movie, I find it hard to believe that they'd reach enough additional people to justify that kind of expense, compared to releasing the trailer for free on YouTube.

Doctor Omega

“Solo” Trailer Monday, “Venom” Trailer Soon

solo-trailer-monday-venom-trailer-soon-696x464.jpg

Rather than fighting it out for attention amidst all the other trailers launching on Sunday during the Super Bowl, it is now being reported that Disney and Lucasfilm will now be launching the first trailer for “Solo: A Star Wars Story” on Monday on “Good Morning America”.

Trailer Track reported the news which makes sense. The morning talk show has been used to launch numerous Disney trailers before, including previous “Star Wars” ones. It also doesn’t necessarily negate the possibility of a commercial for the film going up during the Super Bowl as well.

Additionally, the site reports that the first trailer for the “Spider-Man” spin-off film “Venom” movie has been classified and should arrive within the next 2-3 weeks. The project only wrapped production last week so this is far earlier than expected.

Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega

Anthony Ingruber was, I believe, considered by Disney for this film.

They decided against him....

Some say Disney should have gone with him...

Others that Ingruber, while a good impersonator, lacks Harrison's charisma, etc.

Time will tell if a mistake was made... or not? :emoji_confused:

Ingruber has already played a young Ford in another film.....

And here's Alden....

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

New Photos: “Solo: A Star Wars Story”

new-photos-solo-a-star-wars-story.jpg

As usual with the recent batch of “Star Wars” films, Lucasfilm is following up the first trailer with an extended cover story in the newest issue of Entertainment Weekly which offers a bunch of new photos which you can see below.

Producer Kathleen Kennedy talks about the film, describing it as a “heist, gunslinger type movie” while the feature piece labels it: “a Western crossed with a film noir, freighted with offbeat humor and set in the criminal underbelly of a galaxy being torn apart.” Speaking about the character himself, Kennedy says:

“He might be a little more immature, he may be a little less experienced, and he may hone his cynicism over time, but he’s very wary. He needs to gain the respect of the people he interacts with, even if they’re the lowest of the low.”

Screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan was also big on saying its a bromance: “To me, this is a love story between Han and Chewie. Their relationship has always been my favorite part of the saga, and the fact that only Han understands what Chewie is saying, I find a very funny possibility for comedy.”

Woody Harrelson’s role has been revealed as Tobias Beckett, a powerful criminal and free agent who becomes a mentor to young Han and teaches him to have a moral code. Also starring are Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian, Emilia Clarke as the shadowy Qui’ra, Phoebe Waller-Bridge as droid sidekick L3-37, Thandie Newton as the blaster-toting Val, Paul Bettany as crime boss Dryden Vos.

“Solo: A Star Wars Story” opens on May 25th.

https://imgur.com/a/m2Ztj#RtMAyWp

Doctor Omega

Ron Howard On Why He Took Over “Solo”

ron-howard-will-take-over-han-solo-696x464.jpg

Even amongst the large number of troubled productions, the upcoming “Solo: A Star Wars Story” is a standout. Back in the summer of last year, directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were fired from the “Star Wars” spin-off over creative differences – with just three weeks of filming to go.

Famously Ron Howard was called to step in and finish the film, but subsequent reshoots suggest a large portion of the film was reshoot entirely.

Now, speaking with EW, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy says replacing Lord and Miller had nothing to do with their talent levels but more to do with a difference of opinion on the filmmaking process:

“I think these guys are hilarious, but they come from a background of animation and sketch comedy and when you are making these movies you can do that and there’s plenty of room for improvisation, we do that all the time, but it has to be inside of a highly structured process or you can’t get the work done and you can’t move the armies of people to anticipate and have things ready. So, it literally came down to process. Just getting it done… These are really great guys and you know, nobody wanted this to happen. It was just one of those unfortunate things.”

Howard meanwhile reveals he was quite reluctant to sign on at first, and ultimately Lord and Miller’s sensibilities are still present in the film:

“I know Chris and Phil. They’re incredibly talented guys, and all anyone at Imagine Entertainment wants to do is find a way to work with Chris and Phil, and that’s every bit as much the case today as ever. But when I learned that this change was happening, it just came in a moment where I was working on lots of new projects for Imagine, and I had not planned to direct anything last year. So then this came my way, and I was talking to Kathy, and the now tragically late Alli Shearmur, an old friend. I was reluctant, but I also began to feel that I could help.

It’s disappointing that any company ever feels like they have to make a change like that. It’s rough on everybody and disappointing for everybody, and I’ve just tried to come in and – of course, Phil and Chris’s fingerprints are all over the movie, given how much they put into it and the time they put into it. I hope fans won’t even think about how the movie was made. They should just lose themselves in it.”

“Solo: A Star Wars Story” opens in May.

Doctor Omega

A couple of clips from one of Lord and Miller's previous films....

... and a reminder of how and why it all went pear-shaped.....

“Ever since filming began back in February, Lord and Miller began steering the Han Solo movie more into the genre of laughs than space fantasy. Lucasfilm and producer Kennedy believed Lord and Miller were hired to add a comedic touch [to a space fantasy], while Lord and Miller believed they were hired to make a comedy.

Essentially there was a tonal discrepancy with the pair leaning too far into the comedy. But that was only one issue. They also encouraged significant improvisation from the actors rather than sticking to the script. The film’s dailies apparently showed they were taking significant departures from what Kasdan wrote to the point of major changes to the story.

They were advised to stick to the course laid out by Kasdan but Lord and Miller dug in, refusing to compromise on what they saw as best for the film. Kennedy was also determined to do what she saw was best for the film, even as they had very differing perspectives. The partnership went from strained to fractured and as it became clear they didn’t share the same vision for some critical scenes and obviously wouldn’t acquiesce to Kennedy’s demands during reshoots.

So, on Monday, the pair were told they were terminated with news of the cut breaking on Tuesday night. Two days later, Ron Howard was named as their replacement

also....

the film’s star, Alden Ehrenrich, had voiced his concerns about the direction that Lord and Miller were taking the character. Their source says:

“Ehrenreich had concerns with the production as filming progressed, he started to worry that Lord and Miller’s screwball comedy angle was starting to interfere with what the character of Han Solo is really about – even if this was a younger, more reckless take on the character than the one we met in the cantina of Tatooine.”

Their source goes even further to suggest the pair were wanting a representation of Solo that would be more along the lines of Jim Carrey’s Ace Ventura character.

.....the pair simply “weren’t prepared for a movie of this size and scope” and their more improvisational style “does not work on a set with hundreds of crewmembers waiting for direction”. Production department heads reportedly began to complain.

When the shoot moved from the UK to the Canary Islands is when things really got interesting. Lucasfilm replaced editor Chris Dickens (“Macbeth”) with Oscar-winner Pietro Scalia (“The Martian,” “Alien: Covenant”). Having also seen the dailies, Lucasfilm decided to bring in an acting coach for Alden Ehrenreich – an odd move so far along in a film’s production.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Solo” Team Talk Lucas Involvement, Droids & More

solo-team-talks-lucas-involvement-droids-more-696x464.jpg

Back in 1972, young filmmaker George Lucas and young actor Ron Howard teamed up for “American Graffiti” – and the rest is history. Forty-five years later, Howard is helming the upcoming “Solo: A Star Wars Story” spin-off film based on the franchise Lucas created.

Speaking with EW recently, Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy spoke about the day when George Lucas came to the “Solo” set for a quick visit:

“He had intended to just kind of stop by and say hi, and he stayed five hours. There’s even one little moment in a scene that – I can’t tell you what, sorry – but in the scene on the Millennium Falcon where George said, ‘Why doesn’t Han just do this’.

It actually is a funny little bit that will probably get a laugh. And Ron happened to be by the monitor and not inside the Falcon and he goes, ‘Oh that’s a great idea,’ and ran in and said, ‘George wants us to do this.’ So that was pretty cool. I think George felt pretty great about that. He could revisit these characters, and I think he felt so comfortable, obviously with Ron being there, that it was just fun for him.”

Meanwhile, the film’s co-writer Jon Kasdan has spoken about Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s new droid character, L3-37, who marks one of the first droids in the “Star Wars” universe to be self-made – one constantly changing and reorganising her various parts:

“She’s a self-modified droid. The idea is that she’s sort of a mutt, if you will, of various parts of different kinds of droids who has improved upon herself.

Phoebe, herself, is hilarious. The effect that she will appear in is amazing, but she comes through very strongly even with this astounding [CGI], both her humor and her physicality. If you meet Phoebe, she’s one of these people you just fall in love with immediately.”

Kasdan also confirms most of L3-37’s scenes will be alongside Donald Glover’s Lando with whom she has a working relationship that is “very sophisticated and informed by years of working together”.

“Solo: A Star Wars Story” opens in cinemas on May 25th 2018.

Doctor Omega

“Solo”: Favreau Casting & Falcon Makeovers

Director Ron Howard has confirmed that fellow filmmaker Jon Favreau has scored a key voice acting role in the upcoming “Solo: A Star Wars Story”.

Howard announced the news on his Twitter, sharing a picture of the two men alongside writer Lawrence Kasdan. Howard says Favreau is voicing a “very cool & important alien character” and took time out from directing Disney’s new adaptation of “The Lion King” to work on the role. That project has been the subject of soundtrack speculation this week with both Elton John and Beyonce rumored to be doing songs for the soundtrack.

This follows on from comments this week about the Millennium Falcon in the trailers for “Solo,” specifically the ship’s exterior paint job and its clean and rather stylish interiors – a far cry from the dirty ‘piece of junk’ seen in the original trilogy. How did it go from being so white and shiny to so dirty in the span of a few years? “Solo” screenplay co-writer Jon Kasdan tells EW:

“Where Han gave it a certain shabby coolness and a dinged up quality that reflected where he was at that point in his life, this Falcon reflects its owner very clearly in its shape and aesthetic and his needs, even if those needs be a little more space to entertain…One of the things Larry and I had talked about was the Falcon should always reflect the personality of its captain.”

The film’s star Alden Ehrenreich adds that the Falcon’s look isn’t entirely an accident, but a matter of practicality: “It’s safer in the galaxy to fly something that looks like a piece of junk. People underestimate you – especially if you’re up to no good. Kinda like how you’re more likely to get pulled over if you’re driving a Lamborghini.”

“Solo: A Star Wars Story” is slated to open in May.