Review Space 1999 (1975)

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Excellent! I first bought this back in 77 I think and still have it today! The first six books are all stories from the first series while there are four books 7,8,9 and 10 based on the original cast and crew!
The second series of books are from the scripts for series two and are all written by Michael Butterworth! Sadly the sixth and final book was not released in the UK but I was able to purchase it from Abe's books in the US! The final story is The Immunity Syndrome and gives the Alphans the happy home they've always wanted unlike the actual televised episode!
JB

johnnybear

The second book of the first series I had trouble getting! Firstly I got a copy from Clapham market and that was about gnarled but I found another copy in Leicester in the nineties! A little better but not brilliant! Still it's better to have these beauties than not!
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I remember borrowing this hardback from my local library when I was a teen...

s-l1600.jpg

I am still uncertain whether it was a novelisation of several episodes or a completely original novel.....

And this next one truly confused me, as it showed the beginning of the series and then seemed to end the entire series, giving a final ending of the saga to the Season One cast and crew of Moonbase Alpha.

All very odd! :emoji_head_bandage:

Are these from the volumes 7, 8, 9 or 10 that you mentioned, JB?

160471.jpg

Last edited:

johnnybear

Android Planet is book 8 and is a new story, not from the televised scripts! Earthfall is a standalone book written by E C Tubb! It has the first episode rewritten again but this time with anti-matter being the catalyst for the moon's exodus into space! It also has the ending where the moon returns to a shattered earth (I think? As it's a long time since I've read it!) and the crew return home and resettle earth! A happy ending!
JB

Doctor Omega

Ah, back in the day when canon was a mis-spelled detective show.

I love the crazy (and so wrong, they were wonderfully right) offshoots of our favourite shows that we used to get, such as TV Comic WHO and it's Dalek-wanabee Trodds and Mondosian Cybermen - and Tony Attwood's BLAKE'S 7 book which everyone seems to have quietly agreed to forget, coz it could not have been more unpopular if it had tried - and EARTHFALL, a completely contradictory finale for the show, which had me scratching my head in confusion when I found it. :emoji_alien:

Thanks for clearing that up about ANDROID PLANET, JB.

Wish they would reprint some of this stuff, but I doubt we will ever see either EARTHFALL or AFTERLIFE repackaged in any way, simply because they don't "fit". I think these daft works have nostalgia value of their own and shouldn't be entirely forgotten.

And I still want to read STATE OF MIND, the follow up to AFTERLIFE that never got published. :emoji_nerd:

johnnybear

Afterlife doesn't actually contradict Blakes 7 does it? It's set after Blake so it can't do and since the BBC or anyone else failed to pick up the show for another series it's all we've really got, Doc!
JB

Doctor Omega

Well, there was was Paul Darrow's LUCIFER trilogy, which I couldn't get into. And that audio of THE LOGIC OF EMPIRE, which was another one I didn't really take to, with a trying to be too clever, imo, circular ending.

My heart is sort of still with the clunky AFTERLIFE, though, coz it got there first and was announced at "the authentic sequel", so I accepted it as such at the time. :emoji_alien:

0426199243.jpg

Or as Tony Attwood himself, explained it......

"I'm moved to write this to try and clarify a couple of points that related to the writing of Afterlife.

The book came about when it became clear that there was not likely to be a 5th series of Blake's at least for another couple of years, because of contractual arguments which by and large had nothing to do with the series, but were happening off stage.

Having written The Programme Guide to the series I was asked to write a book which could be turned into four episodes.

My instructions were to work with Avon and Vila and to keep within the format - but not to introduce anything that would cause too much confusion if the 5th series were made.

As the novel developed I suggested that we could consider doing 2 novels - the second being State of Mind, which would resolve the issues in Afterlife - which are left hanging reading for the next events.

This idea was welcomed, but then those contractual arguments got in the way.

A lot of hardcore fans didn't like Afterlife - criticising both what I did with the characters, and what happened in the storyline, but to balance that (and to keep me feeling moderately happy) there was a lot of nice stuff from people who just watched the show but never subscribed to the fanzines etc.

If you enjoyed Afterlife - I'm glad you did. If not - well, sorry. I thought it worked ok, but we all have our own style."

Last edited:

johnnybear

I didn't mind Afterlife to be honest! Avon and Vila had survived the massacre on Gauda Prime! Later on we discover that Tarrant survived as well but was probably killed later on in the book anyway! I can't remember if Servalan was in the book but I'd guess that she was and wasn't the ship at the end christened Blake?
JB

Doctor Omega

Yes, Servalan was in the book
and met a sticky end, being casually shot by a woman who wanted revenge on her.

There was also a pointless duplicate of Orac called Caro. Very odd. And another handheld computer called Katt, that Avon had built.

A woman called Korrell joined the crew.

Yes, I think the ship is called Blake....

And Avon's sister called Tor, whom he has never mentioned, turns up, piloting it - and is probably more evil and ambitious than Servalan was!.

Last edited:

johnnybear

I don't remember that Servalan was killed or Avon's sister turning up, but hey I haven't read the thing for thirty years or near I'm guessing, Doc!
JB

Doctor Omega

I would write to BIG FINISH asking them it they can do a talking book version of AFTERLIFE - or even a dramatisation, but I suspect they will tell me to spack off!! :emoji_grin:

Last edited:

johnnybear

Yes I heard about this on FB yesterday! A big surprise and very sad too! Zienia was only seventy two which is no age these days!
JB

Doctor Omega

Space: 1999 Original Eagle 1 Studio model (as seen today)

A refilmed & improved video (made 2009) showcasing the Original 44 inch Eagle One special effects model, from the 1970s Gerry Anderson television series Space: 1999. The only large model available at the start of filming (it was later joined by two other similar models at that size) it featured heavily in most episodes - and was crashed many times. Now 45 years old, it has been damaged and painted several times over the years but was given a major refurbishment in 2002 to return it to it's studio appearence and more importantly to prevent it falling apart. It should now easily last for another 45+!