Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
No, he never said that.

He said one day he would come back and implied they would meet again.

And they did, in THE FIVE DOCTORS.

I love how, in THE FIVE DOCTORS, Davison actually gave a damn about the historicity of that scene and looks at Carol Anne Ford in wonderment, playing it as a reunion with only one line of dialogue, even though the script is yelling at him not to bother and who cares?

HURNDALL DOC: And this is Susan!

FIVE: Yes, I know.....

For that I think Davison deserves high praise indeed.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I love how, in THE FIVE DOCTORS, Davison actually gave a damn about the historicity of that scene and looks at Carol Anne Ford in wonderment, playing it as a reunion with only one line of dialogue, even though the script is yelling at him not to bother and who cares?

HURNDALL DOC: And this is Susan!

FIVE: Yes, I know.....

For that I think Davison deserves high praise indeed.
The simple delivery of that line is brilliant. Honestly, it has always annoyed me that the companions that were there only really interacted with their Doctor, outside of Tegan getting annoyed at Hurdnall for implying that the women folk make tea and sammies. And I always thought that Susan, if she were a true Gallifreyan, would understand that all the Doctors were her grandfather, not just the old guy. But then, I always read too much into everything.

chainsaw_metal1

I just wish the Doctor hadn't pushed Susan out – I would have rather she left more willingly.
Again, I think this is just reflecting the time it was made. She was written at a time when young people, especially young women, thought they had a duty to stay close to family if they believed that they were needed. The Doctor is giving her that push to not only instill the courage to move on, but to take any guilt from her in doing so. At least, that was always my interpretation.
That was a nice speech he gave her (and a lie, lol).
:Lovely speech. And not a lie if you take the Big Audio works into consideration. He did go back and visit her (I think McGann did, but I could be mistaken.)

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Doctor Who is definitely a product of its time, in some respects. That’s a nice interpretation.

I’ve never heard or read any Big Finish stuff, but I know Tom Baker and Colin Baker (the two Bakers lol) are still doing them. I’ve also heard they’re not bad.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
The two Doctors, Pertwee and Troughton totally ignored Susan as though they had no interest in her! A shame that they didn't react to her in some way as she was both their grandchild and companion! For a Doctor not to show any interest in a companion is only okay when it is before they have met that person and not after! Hurndall does this when both Troughton and Pertwee greet the Brigadier!
JB

chainsaw_metal1

The two Doctors, Pertwee and Troughton totally ignored Susan as though they had no interest in her! A shame that they didn't react to her in some way as she was both their grandchild and companion!
Yeah. That seemed like such a dick move. However, would you rather Jon and Pat ignoring her, or Tennant getting indignant about not coming back, only to end in an uplifting chorus and swelling orchestral, a teary-eyed hug, her reminding him that he's not really alone, and him in the TARDIS, traveling off looking miserable?

I love me some Tennant Doctor, but a recent re-watch made me realize how formulaic they got.