Controversial The IMDF Conflict Zone!

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
Would a poll be a good way to rate each episode?

Just thought I would test the poll ability.
We could post our review and score it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
It certainly seems to be the way to go for what you plan to do.

And you can tailor each and every poll to suit your specific needs.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Indeed this is the way to go. You can make up a poll with rating from 1 to 5 just like you did with a comment, like.

5 Stars - Excellent
4 Stars - Good
3 Stars - Acceptable

Or something similar. It will also be simpler for people to check since the polls are always shown first.

Also, you can create the thread as the name of said chapter
, something like: Twin Peaks S02E15 - Rate the Chapter

Or something like it.

Bob Peters 61

Member: Rank 2
A good idea, but I'm still awful fond of the scale of 1 to 10 of something made up in reference to the ep in question, like we've been doing. Gives everyone a chance to flex their funnybone. :emoji_wink:

Cloister56

I agree. I would plan to stick that at the end of my thoughts for the episode but we could still plug our score in the poll for each one.
It would make the "by the numbers" post easier to work out episode averages. But I don't think the poll tells you who rated as what, so we would need to keep the 8 amusing somethings out of 10 :emoji_laughing:

Cloister56

Just a question for everyone. (I could do another poll but just wanted people's thoughts.

Should we post here but also post on another board?
Now I can see issues with this but wanted to raise it.
Here is a great place for the group, as is, to discuss any show.
The welcome from the moderators and admin has been great. If you would have concerns with us straddling please do say.

But getting new people involved may be difficult if we post only here.

It is more hassle to do 2 sites

I'm not sure if it is right just to copy and paste conversations across it feels a bit wrong.

The reason I raise this now is Twin Peaks boards on tmdb and other sites are likely to be active (with the current series) so a good opportunity to involve more people.

I also have no intention to leave the group but I can also see that it wouldn't take much (poor show, home circumstances) for the group to fizzle out.
My hope is over time these forums increase in activity and the group will continue on with new and old members.

Anyway just a query. I'm not really advocating one way or the other just raising it.

Cloister56

It certainly seems to be the way to go for what you plan to do.

And you can tailor each and every poll to suit your specific needs.
I was trying to select "informative" as I swear on my computer that was an option. But the university icon was "grammar please" and the question was "I'm sorry what?" So I will just say, thanks :)

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
Just thought I would test the poll ability.
We could post our review and score it as well.
I was thinking of a meta-poll like this:

What do you think of polls to rate episodes?
( ) Fantastic idea! I always take part in polls, no matter what they ask. :emoji_heart_eyes:
( ) I'm OK with polls, I guess. :emoji_smirk:
( ) I have no opinion whatsoever about polls. I don't know if I'll answer them. :emoji_neutral_face:
( ) I hardly ever take part in polls, as I think they collect our data and send them to the International Homeland Department. :emoji_fearful:
( ) Polls are the work of the Devil and I NEVER EVER take part in a poll. :emoji_imp::emoji_tired_face:

I'm sure we'd get reliable results with that. :emoji_grin:

Seriously now. I'm a traditionalist, so I we should keep the 1-10 ratings system, precisely because that sounds old and outdated. After all,that's the way it's always been.

Also, you can create the thread as the name of said chapter, something like: Twin Peaks S02E15 - Rate the Chapter
Well, I always start a that episode's thread with some information such as a synopsis, cast, when it was aired. I'm sure a poll could be incorporated to that.

Mad-Pac

Just a question for everyone. (I could do another poll but just wanted people's thoughts.

Should we post here but also post on another board?
Yeah, yeah. It seems we've been resurrected in that other place which I'd rather not mention. :emoji_unamused: Apparently it was all a misunderstanding. But I'm pretty comfy here now. Anyway, I'll do what the group decides.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
You can actually start a thread as a review of the chapter & include a poll to it. It will serves as the "official" thread for that chapter and also as a rating system !

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Yeah, yeah. It seems we've been resurrected in that other place which I'd rather not mention. :emoji_unamused: Apparently it was all a misunderstanding. But I'm pretty comfy here now. Anyway, I'll do what the group decides.
You're always free to come and go as you like, you will notice you will always be welcome here and whatever you need from us, you're 1 click away from getting your request solved, just a PM to me or ant-mac is all it takes.

Mad-Pac

You can actually start a thread as a review of the chapter & include a poll to it. It will serves as the "official" thread for that chapter and also as a rating system !
Yep, precisely. That's what we've been doing... forever it seems. Several years at least, on the late imdb message boards and then somewhere else for a brief while.

Brimfin

Hi everyone. OK, I really don't understand why we need a poll. I thought our ratings constitute a form of poll already; that's how I get my "by the numbers" numbers. If you want to have it, I have no objections. I'll call it an average idea because anything less just sounds mean somehow.:emoji_relaxed:

Cloister56

Hi everyone. OK, I really don't understand why we need a poll. I thought our ratings constitute a form of poll already; that's how I get my "by the numbers" numbers. If you want to have it, I have no objections. I'll call it an average idea because anything less just sounds mean somehow.:emoji_relaxed:
How I imagine it might work if we use the poll function:

Mad-Pac does his "This week post" but at the top has a poll to rate the episode 1-10.
Those who want to post a review can as before, giving their rating for the episode at the bottom (x somethings out of something). They can also put this score into the poll.
Anyone who comes along and wants to rate the episode but not necessarily post a review can use the poll.
It's up to you what info you want to use for your "By the numbers", if you think the poll gives interesting info and want to include it, great. If not everything would be as before.

The poll can't really replace the score at the bottom of a post as:
The poll doesn't say who scored what.
I'm quite fond of the X out Y scoring as I think many others are.

I suppose the poll would allow people to add their score without posting a comment if they wanted, or if they just wanted to chat about the episode but not post a review and score.
It might be nice for people to see a snap shot of a score for each episode without scrolling through all the posts. After we move on I guess the poll would keep running so others could continue to score the episode.