Review The Last Movie That You Watched?

Discussion in 'Film: Reviews' started by Lucas, Feb 6, 2017.

1. TheSowIsMine

TheSowIsMine What an excellent day for an exorcism
    Staff Member VIP

Its a bit cheesy, but in a very good 80's way.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

I simply enjoyed seeing Peter Firth from SPOOKS and Patrick Stewart from STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION in other roles. Plus a few other familiar faces. And there's nothing wrong with a bit of cheese now and then - provided it's tasty.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheSowIsMine

Staff Member VIP

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
    Pretty good horror movie. I like that its basically just in one setting.

• Like Like x 2
  4. plsletitrain

plsletitrain Member: Rank 4

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016)

Typical Tim Burton. Still enjoyable but forgettable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS (1957) 3/5.

A black-and white American science fiction film, with a strong influence of horror as well. The screenplay by Charles B Griffith was the first of many he would write for filmmaker Roger Corman, who produced and directed this feature. The plot concerns a scientific expedition that is sent to a remote Pacific island to discover what happened to the scientists of an earlier scientific expedition. Unknown to them, the island is inhabited by a pair of gigantic, intelligent crabs that have been mutated by radiation from nearby testing of atomic bombs. The film stars Richard Garland, Pamela Duncan, Russell Johnson, Leslie Bradley, Mel Welles, Richard H Cutting and Charles B Griffith in a cameo appearance as Tate - the first victim of the giant crabs. Surprisingly, this film is nowhere near as bad as it sounds. And with a running time of just 62 minutes, it doesn’t take too long to finish either.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

GIANT FROM THE UNKNOWN (1958) 3/5.

An average American horror film, which was released by Astor Pictures. It was written by Ralph Brooke and Frank Hart Taussig, it was produced by Marc Fredericand Arthur A Jacobs and it was directed by Richard E Cunha. The make-up effects were done by Jack Pierce, known for the classic visages of FRANKENSTEIN (1931), THE MUMMY (1932) and THE WOLF MAN (1941). The plot involves the inhabitants of a small California town up in the mountains, who have to deal with the murderous behaviour of a 500 year-old Spanish Conquistador, known as the Diablo Giant, who has recently been awoken from a state of suspended animation. The film stars Ed Kemmer, Sally Fraser, Bob Steele, Morris Ankrum, Billy Dix, Gary Crutcher, Jolene Brand and Buddy Baer as Vargas the Giant. It’s a mostly harmless and inoffensive film, which features some nice scenery.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheSowIsMine

Staff Member VIP

Hiding Out (1987)
    Student Exchange (1987)
    It was time for some 80's teen movies.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hux

Hux Member: Rank 6

Logan

Not that impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nick91

Nick91 Member: Rank 2

Lost Boundaries (1949) 4.5/5
    [Sorry, no title card image this time]

A touching story based on real-life events about an African-American couple who both are light-skinned enough to pass as white (caucasian). A daring theme to make a movie about during this era in Hollywood, although as I have already seen a similar one before (Imitation of Life in 1934), I didn't go "wow, they made movies like this back in the late 40s?".

Still, I found Lost Boundaries to be subtle and conveying a modern message without sounding too preachy or unrealistic. All of the actors were fairly unknown at the time, although the lead Mel Ferrer went on to become quite famous. I think the entire cast did a good job; the guy who played the son has to be among the best actors to not yet have a Wikipedia page. LB loses half a point because the scenes dragged on here and there, especially after the 'big revelation'.

You can watch the film on Youtube if you want.

• Like Like x 2
    #229 Nick91, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  10. TheSowIsMine

Staff Member VIP

Alien: Covenant (2017)
    This movie has an identity crisis. It doesn't know if it wants to be a run-of-the-mill Alien film or a sequel to Prometheus. It fails as both. The tone is all over the place and very inconsistent.
    They should have made this the way they intended it. A real sequel to Prometheus and with that steer away from the xenomorphs and focus more on the engineers.
    The characters are terrible and so is Fassbenders american accent. You don't really care what happens to any of them. The ending is also predictable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheSowIsMine

Staff Member VIP

Rogue One (2016)
    This movie really had that old Star wars look and feel to it. There lighting reminded me a lot of Empire Strikes Back. The costumes, bad haircuts and moustaches also brought it back to that time.
    The story was interesting. Most of the time the others came in when intelligence was already gathered, so it was nice to see that side of the story.
    There are a bunch of good actors in it. CGI Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher were a bit weird though.
    This is what a Star Wars prequel is supposed to be like.

• Like Like x 2
  12. TheSowIsMine

Staff Member VIP

To The Bone (2017)
    Pretty good drama about a girl suffering from anorexia.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

The Final Countdown

51DhaoqUh0L._SY450_.jpg

A time travel film with Kirk Douglas.....

Shot itself in the foot as it was obvious that history could not be altered.

Written by Gerry Davis, who co-invented the Cybermen for Doctor Who.....

14. TheSowIsMine

Staff Member VIP

Room (2015)
    Good drama, very well acted by everyone.

Shot! The Psycho-Spiritual Mantra of Rock (2016)
    This is a documentary about rock photographer Mick Rock. What I like about this one, is that its not your usual doc and it fits the man. There is great use of his work and music by the people he photographed. There was a lot of emphasis on his work on David Bowie, Lou Reed and Iggy Pop. Something I do not mind at all, but others might.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tuco

Tuco Member: Rank 2

I enjoyed this quite a bit, even after multiple viewings (which is where a movie can start to slip for me). Indeed, the atmospherics are part of the charm for me. It is not by any means a perfect film, but definitely worthwhile.

I'm with you on this one.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tuco

Tuco Member: Rank 2

Lucy 1.5/5

If it weren't for Scarlett's performance this would have been a total loss of an evening.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nick91

Nick91 Member: Rank 2

God's Step Children (1938) 1/5
    [​IMG]

To keep with the theme of my previously reviewed film here (Lost Boundaries), I decided to watch this film as I noticed it was on Youtube. It was directed by the noted African-American Oscar Micheaux and had an all-black cast. Since blacks generally didn't have access to large budgets, backed up by large studios, the production value is not quite up to standard unfortunately. The editing is very choppy, but that could possibly be because of a shortened version rather than the full movie.

The acting has got to be one of the worst I've ever seen. It's stilted and very few deliver their lines in a natural manner. The story? Well, it proclaimed to be a cross between Imitation of Life (a movie I thought was very good) and These Three (never seen it), but I just find the whole plot so lackluster. The non-spoiler summary is that a light-skinned baby, Naomi, is abandoned by her biological mother, and her adoptive mother raises her along with her own son.

Naomi gets into trouble in school for disobeying (and spitting on) her teacher, and for spreading false rumours about her. She is sent to a convent for ten years, and returns home when she becomes a young adult. Her step-brother, Jimmie, is also grown up, and in a bizarre incest-like (but not really, biologically speaking) twist, she becomes attracted to him, though he already has a girlfriend (the teacher's daughter). Instead, he insists on her getting married to his friend, whom Naomi finds physically ugly. But she relents and marries him, until about a year later when she sneaks up on her brother's family, sees how happy they are, and drowns herself in a lake. And that's it.

The film can be watched here.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 7

The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017) - 4/5

A thoroughly enjoyable action comedy starring Samuel L. Jackson as a contract killer who is a witness in a human rights trial, and Ryan Reynolds as the bodyguard tasked with keeping him alive, unless he kills him first.

• Like Like x 1
  19. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 7

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017) - 4/5

Very enjoyable. At World's End lost much of what had made the first two good, and On Stranger Tides had moments, but was mostly forgettable. This movie was a return to the humor of the first movie, and is fun all the way through. Also, by the time they got to World's End, they had added so many characters and side plots that it got too convoluted. They tried to rectify this in Stranger Tides, but the tone of the whole movie felt off, and left out so much of the humor that made the franchise so much fun at the beginning. This actually made me want to see them make a sixth movie.

Minority Report (2002) - 4/5

It had been a few years since I had watched this one, and I forgot just how good it really is. I'm no fan of Tom Cruise, but he is really great in this movie. Top notch cast, great story and well done action. Plus, the ethical quandary it brings up - can we prosecute a crime if the crime hasn't actually happened yet - and the pros and cons of such power.