Review The Last Movie That You Watched?

Discussion in 'Film: Reviews' started by Lucas, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Gavin

Gavin Member: Rank 5
    VIP

Saw this for the first time not long ago. I'm usually not a big fan of biopics, given that they tend to be far more fiction than fact, but this one was very enjoyable and, yes the ending was a sad reminder of how gay people were treated not all that long ago.

• Like Like x 3
  2. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 7

Very true. But even with that, the biggest kick in the gut was knowing that there are people out there who would gladly go back to that sort of treatment. The fact that "pray the gay away" camps and "conversion therapy" are still so popular shows we haven't come nearly far enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JohnnyL REACTS

JohnnyL REACTS Member: Rank 1

The last movie I watched was Get Out and I really liked it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure if I've watched that many horror films during my entire life.

Of course, it could come down to how the two of us define various films and which genres we assign them to.

• Like Like x 1
  5. duzit

duzit Member: Rank 7

@chainsaw_metal1

I agree with you, a very good film to invest the time to watch. Not to spoil the ending, to reward his genius that way was criminal, could not get away with that these days...◆◆◆♡♡♡

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheSowIsMine

TheSowIsMine What an excellent day for an exorcism
    Staff Member VIP

Spider-man: Homecoming (2017)
    I really enjoyed this one.

• Like Like x 2
  7. McQualude

McQualude Member: Rank 2

Last movie was Sergeant York (1941). I was thinking Gary Cooper looked a little old for the part, being 40, but I looked it up and Alvin York was 30 when he was drafted. Cooper is great but the real standout is Margaret Wycherly as Alvin's mother - quiet, stalwart, wise, and humble.

#247 McQualude, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 7

I actually enjoyed it more than Spider-Man 2, which had been, to that point, my favorite Spidey film, and I thought they could never top it.

I have some major issues, like why they do dick with his Spidey-Sense, but they seem to infer that they will incorporate it into later films. Still, very fun film, and it was nice to see someone who could pull off both Peter Parker and Spider-Man.

It did bring up something that has been nagging at me since the beginning of the MCU. We have fifty-plus years of continuity, and they pull from all sorts of sources for the films. Sometimes they nail it, other times, they drop the ball (*cough*Extremis*cough*). And I know they need to establish these characters, but they go all over the place in doing it. Some aspects, they go back to the silver age, and other times, they go for modern retellings of the origins, or even the Ultimate line. It makes for a mish mash of characters, which can discourage many old school comic fans.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MovieKnut

MovieKnut Member: Rank 2

Last movie watched at the cinema was Happy Death Day. It was OK. The Groundhog Day factor added an unusual context to the movie.

Watched Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan on dvd last night. It still kicks ass, one of the best Star Trek cinema efforts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #249 MovieKnut, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  10. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

It still... licks ass?

As a Trekker, I'm really hoping that was a typo... :emoji_wink:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. TheSowIsMine

Staff Member VIP

November Criminals (2017)
    This didn't do the book any justice. The character were nothing like their book counterparts and the tone of the films also is nothing like the books tone. Thats always a problem when you see a film based on a book you read. Its so hard not to compare.
    I did like that it seems like the director is a total Bowie fanboy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheSowIsMine

Staff Member VIP

Super Dark Times (2017)
    It takes place in the 90's and that was done in a believable way. It starts out as a nice calm drama, but the last 20 minutes they added some suspense that just didn't fit with the rest of the film.