Fun The Last Movie That You Watched?

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Ah, I just thought of another one!

Titanic (1997) - 194 minutes

I'll say this - that was an easy movie to sit through. In those days, I could sit through that movie drinking a huge bottle of water and didn't need to go to the bathroom once.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
When I was a tiddler of a schoolgirl the BBC did a mind-blowing and seemingly endless adaptation of War and Peace - much collective drooling over Antony Hopkins... and terrible withdrawal symptoms when it finished.
So when best friend and I discovered that a local flea-pit was devoting an entire Sunday to an actual Russian film version of the story we went. Eight-ish hours of subtitles later, we certainly had got our money's worth. Yes it was split into 4 two-hour portions and the third of these was the Battle of Austerlitz in relentless detail. So I'm claiming four in a day!

Carol

:emoji_champagne_glass:
Fantastic! I know it won't last so I'd quickly like to thank The Seeker, Tolstoy, Antony Hopkins and the ice-cream lady who kept us fully fuelled with choc-ices that memorable day. (Anyone else remember when they came wrapped in silver paper that really put your teeth on edge?)

Carol

I 'member!
Kids today - do you think they'll remember popcorn? I could be in a cinema for eight hours again and still not want popcorn in any shape, size or form. Tee hee!

Oh yes, while I'm feeling grumpy - three hours of bloody Braveheart, which came as a surprise - I hadn't realised the director was going to make quite so much history up to pad it out, which on the whole I regretted AND resented.

Carol

YES - and that's why I'm such a huge fan of TV's Horrible Histories - the one rule they had was however funny and however horrible, it had to be true.

The fun thing about Braveheart though, was the charming group of intoxicated Scotsmen I met at the bus stop afterwards. They - I think 4 of them in a tiny end-of-run screening at the grand old Odeon in Holloway Road - had made their presence felt throughout the film by (1) cheering on their home team and (2) punctuating the quieter moments with the gentle whoosh of another can being discreetly opened to further their obvious enjoyment.
I was already standing at my bus stop, way after midnight, when they slowly advanced to join me. Slowly, as it turned out that one of their number had a broken leg in a pot, crutches, the works. He was VERY well-refreshed by this point and 2 of his mates had to spend some time persuading him not to see how far he could hop along the white line down the middle of the road on his good leg... I was given the full "stop f***ing swearing, there's a f***ing lady here" - which I appreciated, of course, as you do. We all agreed that films went, this one was spot on for the politics and violence, but had about an hour of unhistorical drivelling romance we could have all done without. Anyway, then my night bus came along and they waved me off - a girl can do a lot worse than an honour guard of tipsy homesick London Scots on a late night out.

mustang2006

Member: Rank 2
What films over two hours have you been able to sit all the way through (without falling asleep)? Here's my list:

Solaris (1972) - 169 minutes
Yacoubian Building (2006) - 162 minutes
Metropolis (1927) - 148 minutes
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - 148 minutes
3 Idiots (2009) - 164 minutes
Ran (1985) - 162 minutes
Amadeus (1984) - 180 minutes
Million Dollar Baby (2005) - 132 minutes

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
What films over two hours have you been able to sit all the way through (without falling asleep)? Here's my list:
I took a quick look at my film collection and came up with these to begin with...

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956)

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI (1957)

THE BIG COUNTRY (1958)

BEN-HUR (1959)

NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959)

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (1960)

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (1962)

THE GREAT ESCAPE (1963)

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO (1965)

FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE (1965)

MAJOR DUNDEE (1965)

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (1966)

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1968)

WHERE EAGLES DARE (1968)

THE WILD BUNCH (1969)

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (1971)

NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971)

THE GODFATHER (1972)

PAPILLON (1973)

THE GODFATHER PART II (1974)

BARRY LYNDON (1975)

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED (1976)

A BRIDGE TOO FAR (1977)

THE DEER HUNTER (1978)

THE SHINING (1980)

GANDHI (1982)

SCARFACE (1983)

A PASSAGE TO INDIA (1984)

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA (1984)

THE ABYSS (1989)

DANCES WITH WOLVES (1990)

THE GODFATHER PART III (1990)

PULP FICTION (1994)

TRUE LIES (1994)

WYATT EARP (1994)

JACKIE BROWN (1997)

TITANIC (1997)

EYES WIDE SHUT (1999)

THE MATRIX (1999)

APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX (2001)

THE MATRIX RELOADED (2003)

THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS (2003)

TROY (2004)

FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS (2006)

LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA (2006)

2012 (2009)

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS (2009)

DJANGO UNCHAINED (2012)

THE HATEFUL EIGHT (2015)

Sunflower007

Member: Rank 3
Be happy that he can still blowwwwwww◆◆◆♡♡♡
:emoji_grinning:~ Good one. And many happy return to Sir Michael Caine.:emoji_birthday:

*~ :emoji_purse:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
:emoji_musical_score:

"Life is never what you planned
Life is moments you can't understand
And that is life

Holding to the ground
As the ground keeps shifting
Trying to keep sane
As the rules keep changing"

By: Falsettos

Sunflower007

:emoji_relaxed:~ The last movie I saw at home was Circle of Friends(1995) and in the theaters Beauty and the Beast(2017).

Circle of Friends is a very good & cute coming of age flick. It takes place in Ireland of in the 50's of three young teenage girls experience in the university life, love:emoji_heart_eyes: and heartache. The main love interest is Minnie Driver(Benny Hogan) & Chris O Donnell(Jack Foley). I loved the setting of the country side of Ireland and Dublin, the performances were great and loved the plot. Seen this movie so many times that I lost count. I enjoyed it a lot & I am planning to read the novel one of these days. I know its been in my reading list for years. So sooner or later I'll get to it.

As for Beauty and the Beast(2017) there isn't much to say only that I didn't like it. Also that all-time classic shouldn't be re-made.

*~:emoji_circus_tent:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
:emoji_musical_score:

"Life is never what you planned
Life is moments you can't understand
And that is life

Holding to the ground
As the ground keeps shifting
Trying to keep sane
As the rules keep changing"

By: Falsettos

ant-mac

23 PACES TO BAKER STREET (1956) 3/5.

An interesting little American mystery thriller, set in London. It’s based on a novel by Philip MacDonald, was produced by Henry Ephron and was directed by Henry Hathaway. It stars Van Johnson, Vera Miles, Cecil Parker and Maurice Denham. It’s not the most original film ever made - the plotline of this film bears some resemblance to Alfred Hitchcock's REAR WINDOW (1954) - but it's nonetheless enjoyable and entertaining in its own unremarkable way.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Ah! I did see some of those - and some I didn't feel the time at all, like Pulp Fiction, but others like Eyes Wide Shut seemed to go on forever.

ant-mac

I tried to watch LOTR (the first one) in the theater, but I was with Dad and he complained the whole time how boring it was so I really couldn't concentrate.
I agree with your dad. The three LORD OF THE RINGS films are a master class in filmmaking. The cast, the costumes, the locations, the special effects, the editing, the music... Every aspect of those three films are of the finest quality and the highest calibre.

And I have never been so bored stiff in my life. I watched every minute of every hour of every day of every week of those fucking films.... And throughout the entire experience, the same question came to me unbidden, again and again and again...

ARE WE THERE YET?!

filmfan95

ANNIE (1982)
SPIDER-MAN (2002)
SPIDER-MAN 2 (2004)
SPIDER-MAN 3 (2007)
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (2012)
DIVERGENT (2014)
HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE (2001)
THE PARENT TRAP (both 1961 and 1998)