Fun The Last Movie That You Watched?

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
ESCAPE TO ATHENA (1979) 3/5.

A British adventure film set during World War Two and filmed entirely on the island of Rhodes. The screenplay is by Edward Anhalt and Richard S Lochte, based upon the story by Richard S Lochte and George P Cosmatos. It was produced by David Niven Junior and Jack Wiener and was directed by George P Cosmatos. The soundtrack to the film was written by Lalo Schifrin. It stars Roger Moore, David Niven, Telly Savalas, Claudia Cardinale, Stefanie Powers, Elliott Gould, Richard Roundtree, Sonny Bono, Anthony Valentine and Michael Sheard. It also features William Holden in a cameo appearance as a POW, because at the time of filming, he was in a relationship with Stefanie Powers. It is an enjoyable, but uneven production. There are many fine moments of action, adventure and humour, including one of the best motorcycle chase scenes of the era, but ultimately, it does not quite come together as a successful whole. It is a great shame, but it is still a highly enjoyable experience in many ways…

Nick91

Member: Rank 2
Amos (1985) (3.5/5)

Those of you who have seen seen interviews with Kirk Douglas are probably aware of the fact that he played Randle McMurphy in the Broadway version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in the 1960s. When his son Michael became the owner of the rights to the script, Kirk was disappointed to find out that he wasn't going to be cast in the film version due to his age. Over the years, Kirk has often brought it up, half-jokingly, half-bitterly.

What a lot of people probably don't know is that Kirk starred in a 1985 tv-movie called Amos that in many ways resembles OFOCN. It was produced by one of his other sons, Peter. Without going into spoilers, the movie has a Nurse Ratched-type character but the setting is a nursing home rather than a mental hospital. I thought it was a decent story, especially how he cleverly resolved something towards the end of it. Obviously, being a tv-movie with its characteristic low-budget production values, it wasn't anywhere near fantastic or anything.

Also, this might not be the most entertaining subject for younger audiences who may feel alienated by the issues that many senior citizens have to endure. There are certain slow moments here and there. If you do find it interesting, please check it out on Youtube. Kirk was nominated for an Emmy in the category "Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Special" but lost out to Dustin Hoffman. Dorothy McGuire, Pat Morita, and the film itself, were also nominated in their respective categories.

Last edited:

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
Crimson Peak (2015)
Cliche and boring story with boring characters. Both Mia Wasikowska and Tom Hiddleston had the charisma of a doorknob. The only slightly interesting thing in this film was Jessica Chastain.

ant-mac

IRON MAN (2008) 4/5.

A highly entertaining American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name, created by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Don Heck and Jack Kirby. The film follows Tony Stark, an industrialist and master engineer, who builds a powered exoskeleton and becomes the technologically advanced superhero Iron Man. It is the first film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with the screenplay being written by Mark Fergus, Hawk Ostby, Art Marcum and Matt Holloway. The music was provided by Ramin Djawadi, the film was produced by Avi Arad and Kevin Feige and it was directed by Jon Favreau. It stars Robert Downey Junior, Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges, Shaun Toub, Gwyneth Paltrow, Samuel L Jackson, Stan Lee in a cameo appearance and director Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan, Tony Stark's bodyguard and chauffeur. Robert Downey Junior is perfectly cast in this film and is the leading reason as to why it is so enjoyable.

ant-mac

IRON MAN 2 (2010) 3/5.

Another highly enjoyable American superhero film and the second one based on the Marvel Comics character Iron Man. It is the sequel to the 2008 film, IRON MAN and is the third film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Tony Stark is resisting calls by the United States government to hand over the Iron Man technology, while also combating his own declining health. Meanwhile, rogue Russian scientist Ivan Vanko has developed the same technology and built weapons of his own in order to pursue a vendetta against Tony Stark’s family. The screenplay for the film is by Justin Theroux, based on characters created by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Don Heck and Jack Kirby. The music for the film is by John Debney, it’s produced by Kevin Feige and it’s again directed by Jon Favreau. The film stars Robert Downey Junior, Samuel L Jackson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Scarlett Johansson, Mickey Rourke, Sam Rockwell, Don Cheadle, Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan and Stan Lee in another cameo appearance. Like its predecessor, this film was shot mostly in California, except for a key sequence that was filmed in Monaco. It’s not quite as fresh as the original film, but it's still very entertaining.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) - 8/10

The sequel to the highly popular first film, which follows a ragtag group of thieves and assassins who become heroes. As good as the first, with the soundtrack being a little less quality. Great script, great acting, and lots of good cameos and comic book references that real nerds will get. Very enjoyable.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
@TheSowIsMine I had a much higher opinion of Crimson Peak, but a lot of that could be chalked up to me liking the cast and del Toro's work. Sorry you didn't care for it, but glad to hear your opinion of it. I haven't seen Phenomena, but there's a lot of Argento's work I still haven't watched. Have you seen his Dracula? If not, don't.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
@TheSowIsMine I had a much higher opinion of Crimson Peak, but a lot of that could be chalked up to me liking the cast and del Toro's work. Sorry you didn't care for it, but glad to hear your opinion of it. I haven't seen Phenomena, but there's a lot of Argento's work I still haven't watched. Have you seen his Dracula? If not, don't.
I havent seen it, and Im not planning to :)
I don't think I have seen a lot of his more recent work. I usually watch his 70\s/80's stuff.
As for Del Torro's work, I usually like it, thats why I watched it.

ant-mac

KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE (2014) 5/5.

A superb British film that is part action, part comedy, part espionage and all entertainment. It is based upon the comic book THE SECRET SERVICE, created by Dave Gibbons and Mark Millar. The screenplay is by Jane Goldman and Matthew Vaughn, the film is produced by Adam Bohling, David Reid and Matthew Vaughn and it's also directed by Matthew Vaughn. The film soundtrack is by Henry Jackman and Matthew Margeson. It follows the recruitment and training of a potential secret agent into a secret spy organisation. Afterwards, he joins a mission to tackle a global threat from Richmond Valentine, a wealthy megalomaniac. It stars Colin Firth, Samuel L Jackson, Michael Caine, Mark Strong, Mark Hamill, Sophie Cookson, Sofia Boutella, Samantha Womack, Jack Davenport and Taron Egerton. This is first class entertainment, that is well worth the effort to see.

ant-mac

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER (2011) 5/5.

An American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Captain America, created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. It is also the fifth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The screenplay is by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, the film is produced by Kevin Feige and it’s directed by Joe Johnston. The musical soundtrack of the film is by Alan Silvestri. Set predominantly during World War II, it tells the story of Steve Rogers, who is transformed into super-soldier Captain America and who must then stop the Red Skull, who intends to use an artefact called the Tesseract as an energy source to achieve world domination. It stars Chris Evans, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Hayley Atwell, Neal McDonough, Stanley Tucci, Toby Jones, Sebastian Stan, Dominic Cooper, Derek Luke and Samuel L Jackson, with Stan Lee making a cameo appearance as a general. This is certainly one of the strongest entries to date in the Marvel Cinematic Universe series of films and should not be missed.

ant-mac

IRON MAN 3 (2013) 4/5.

Another very enjoyable American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Iron Man, created by Stan Lee, Don Heck, Larry Lieber and Jack Kirby. This is a sequel to IRON MAN from 2008, IRON MAN 2 from 2010 and is also the seventh film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It was written by Drew Pearce and Shane Black, based in part on the EXTREMIS story arc by Warren Ellis. It was produced by Kevin Feige and directed by Shane Black. This time around, Tony Stark deals with the effects of posttraumatic stress disorder caused by the events of THE AVENGERS, while investigating the re-emergence of the Ten Rings, led by the mysterious Mandarin and comes into a conflict with an old enemy - Aldrich Killian. It stars Robert Downey Junior, Gwyneth Paltrow, Guy Pearce, Ben Kingsley, Don Cheadle, Rebecca Hall, Ty Simpkins, William Sadler, Miguel Ferrer, Shaun Toub, Stephanie Szostak, James Badge Dale, Jon Favreau, with cameo appearances by Bill Maher, Joan Rivers and Stan Lee as a beauty pageant judge. Another strong entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film series, which is definitely worth seeing.

ant-mac

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (2014) 4/5.

Another excellent American superhero film based primarily on the Marvel Comics character Captain America, created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. It is a sequel to CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER from 2011 and the ninth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The screenplay is by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, it was produced by Kevin Feige and it was directed by Anthony Russo and Joe Russo. Captain America, Black Widow and Falcon join forces to uncover a conspiracy within SHIELD while facing a mysterious assassin known as the Winter Soldier. It stars Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Toby Jones, Garry Shandling, Jenny Agutter, Alan Dale, Cobie Smulders, Frank Grillo, Emily Van Camp, Hayley Atwell, Robert Redford and Samuel L Jackson, with Gary Sinise narrating a Captain America-themed Smithsonian Institution exhibit and Stan Lee appearing as a security guard there. An extremely entertaining addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe series of films. Well worth the viewing.