Review The TARDIS

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I think one of the mistakes that the makers of both Classic Who and New Who often made is that they forgot the TARDIS was the Doctor's home...
One of the more subtle aspects I liked about Davison's tenure was that we got to see more time spent away from the console room. We saw companions in their rooms, and saw The Doctor roaming the halls for various tasks, or to go yell at Adric. It wasn't all the time, but it made the TARDIS feel like more than just a ship. It really was home. And it's just another touch that only gets talked about but otherwise ignored now.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
30d7e3c7c5f16a029c7e977838cd7afd.jpg

I love the white-grey, I love the central console, I love the doors, I love the style of roundels, I love the "Corinthian" columns.

This (and Hartnell's) are just far and away my favourite style of Tardis, although I hate none of the Classic interiors.

When they made the Tardis the gloomiest place on Earth in 2005 and later threw a load of pizzas over the central console in 2010 - and words like "organic" were bandied about, I was initially fooled and thought I had to be impressed, egged on by Classic cast on commentaries spouting "I am so jealous!" etc. But there was a niggling voice that just said "NO!!!".

tardis-console-series-5.jpg

Now that my senses have returned.... Nah, the Classic Who Tardis interiors are where my heart is. Even the washing up bowls stuck on the walls in THE TIME MONSTER.

And I don't get it when critics moan about the bright lighting inside the Classic Tardis, as if it were incompetence on the part of the programme makers of the time, whereas I always found that brightness comforting. There was something technologically optimistic and hopeful I felt, about the ship's interior, in contrast to the darkness of the adventures outside.

What a relief it was for Davison to finally get back to the bright safety of the Tardis, after the horrors of Androzani, for example.

Now the inside of the Tardis always looks like an oppressive villain in it's own right - or the lair of a deranged mastermind!

Certainly never a comforting or friendly place to retreat to.

Who would want to live there now? :emoji_head_bandage:

DvdHl3CWsAEmu4A.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Denys fisher F1.jpg

Okay, I need to confess....

The day came when, not being able to think of an adventure for them on one particular day, I swapped the clothing of the Doctor and Leela over with each other.

Simply because I could.

And the universe shuddered. :emoji_head_bandage:

Some things are a fixed point in time - and some things are simply not meant to be.

This was one of them. :emoji_anguished:

Thank God it never happened on the show itself. :emoji_cold_sweat:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
View attachment 16570

I love the white-grey, I love the central console, I love the doors, I love the style of roundels, I love the "Corinthian" columns.

This (and Hartnell's) are just far and away my favourite style of Tardis, although I hate none of the Classic interiors.

When they made the Tardis the gloomiest place on Earth in 2005 and later threw a load of pizzas over the central console in 2010 - and words like "organic" were bandied about, I was initially fooled and thought I had to be impressed, egged on by Classic cast on commentaries spouting "I am so jealous!" etc. But there was a niggling voice that just said "NO!!!".

View attachment 16571

Now that my senses have returned.... Nah, the Classic Who Tardis interiors are where my heart is. Even the washing up bowls stuck on the walls in THE TIME MONSTER.

And I don't get it when critics moan about the bright lighting inside the Classic Tardis, as if it were incompetence on the part of the programme makers of the time, whereas I always found that brightness comforting. There was something technologically optimistic and hopeful I felt, about the ship's interior, in contrast to the darkness of the adventures outside.

What a relief it was for Davison to finally get back to the bright safety of the Tardis, after the horrors of Androzani, for example.

Now the inside of the Tardis always looks like an oppressive villain in it's own right - or the lair of a deranged mastermind!

Certainly never a comforting or friendly place to retreat to.

Who would want to live there now? :emoji_head_bandage:

View attachment 16572
I think the TARDIS interior has been utter shit since 2005, with the exception of the occasional appearance of the Hartnell console room.

If you can re-build it, why not fucking use it on a regular basis?

Doctor Omega

I got a narrative out of that, that the Doctor was dead and the Tardis, lonely, lost and bereft without him, was wandering the cosmos, still going to the places where the Doctor was needed, but doomed to observe and her beloved Doctor no longer around to do anything about the madness she was witnessing.

The music did not help my struggle against a manly tear! :emoji_cry:

ant-mac

I got a narrative out of that, that the Doctor was dead and the Tardis, lonely, lost and bereft without him, was wandering the cosmos, still going to the places where the Doctor was needed, but doomed to observe and her beloved Doctor no longer around to do anything about the madness she was witnessing.

The music did not help my struggle against a manly tear! :emoji_cry:
So basically, you're saying the TV show has degenerated so much, it's actually better off without the regular cast?

Or any cast at all?

Doctor Omega

I think that the BBC should seriously investigate this avenue of storytelling.

Seeing as their casting department seems to have turned irretrievably to shit. :emoji_disappointed:

ant-mac

I rather like the two sets of doors on this model, as well as the hidden work bench area.
The hidden area is the only aspect I'm not keen on.

I think it would've been nice if the area had been separated from the main room via clear glass, in the same way that the fault locator was in the original console room.

Doctor Omega

Dematerialisation - A Doctor Who VFX Shot

Since the TARDIS' dematerialisation effect has remained largely unchanged for the past fifty years, I thought it might be interesting to try out a new approach. So this is my attempt at capturing what travelling through time and space might look like from the point of view of the TARDIS - from take-off to landing, all in one shot.