Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
An R rated Trek movie?

On reflection this could be really wrong-headed - and once again devoid of the hope and optimism for humanity that lays at the heart of Trek's (former) success.

Doctor Omega

How the Battle Over ‘Star Trek’ Rights Killed J.J. Abrams’ Grand Ambitions

jj-abrams-inside.jpg

https://www.thewrap.com/how-web-star-trek-rights-killed-jj-abrams-grand-ambitions-91766/

A struggle over the U.S.S. Enterprise's past and future helped sour J.J. Abrams on the "Star Trek" franchise and may have contributed to his decision to take on the "Star Wars" universe.

Competing ambitions between Paramount, CBS and Abrams' production company Bad Robot over merchandising surrounding the first film in the rebooted "Star Trek" franchise led the director to curtail plans to turn the series into a multi-platform experience that spanned television, digital entertainment and comic books, according to an individual with knowledge of the dispute.

"J.J. just threw up his hands," the individual told TheWrap. "The message was, 'Why set up all this when we'll just be competing against ourselves?' The studio wanted to please Bad Robot, but it was allowing CBS to say yay or nay when it came to what was happening with the 'Star Trek' products."

Much to the dismay of Bad Robot, CBS' merchandising arm continued to create memorabilia and products based on the cast of the original 1960s series and market them to Trekkies. The production company did market research and found that there was brand confusion between Abrams' rebooted Enterprise crew and the one starring William Shatner and DeForest Kelley.

TheWrap has learned that Bad Robot asked CBS to stop making products featuring the original cast, but talks broke down over money. The network was making roughly $20 million a year on that merchandise and had no incentive to play nice with its former corporate brother, the individual said. In response, the company scaled back its ambitions to have "Star Trek's" storylines play out with television shows, spin-off films and online components, something Abrams had been eager to accomplish.

Abrams' ambitions to create a multi-platform film franchise will find a more natural home at Disney, analysts and industry experts tell TheWrap. As successful as "Star Trek" has been, few franchises match the profitability and cultural prominence of George Lucas' space opera, which would be difficult for any director to pass up.

“Disney has always been oriented to multi-platform revenue stream situations,” Seth Willenson, a film library valuations expert, told TheWrap.

Moreover, Willenson notes that Abrams, who has a deal that is believed to include creative and profit participation in "Star Wars" inspired merchandise and spin-offs, will have more control in shaping the legacy of the Skywalker clan than he would have had with developing side projects for the "Star Trek" crew. Unlike with "Star Trek," with its rights split between Paramount and CBS, Disney owns the rights to “Star Wars” outright thanks to its $4 billion purchase of Lucasfilm last year.

"The derivative rights situation on 'Star Trek' is complicated because you’re dealing with cross-company cultures, so it makes it harder to implement a grand plan," Willenson said.

As for Disney's grand "Star Wars" plan, it's sounding an awful lot like the one Abrams once envisioned for "Star Trek." There will be television properties, theme park rides and spin-off films all centered around the new trilogy that Abrams will oversee.

It's a page borrowed from Disney's exploitation of the Marvel comic books and if it works out, it should make Abrams very rich indeed.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I read an awful lot about multi-platform experiences that span television, digital entertainment and comic books, or CBS' merchandising arm continuing to create memorabilia and products based on the cast of the original 1960s TV series, or storylines playing out with television shows, spin-off films and online components...

What I'm not reading about is an actual vision for the future of STAR TREK. About what it actually takes to make a good STAR TREK story that will contribute to and expand upon the best of what has gone before.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Because they are only concerned with making money on nostalgia. They aren't the least bit concerned about making anything new or creative, they're simply in it for the money. Which is why they shun anyone who is willing to make something that would appease fans or further the universe they have at their disposal.

Doctor Omega

Bad Robot asked CBS to stop making products featuring the original cast,
Much to the dismay of Bad Robot, CBS' merchandising arm continued to create memorabilia and products based on the cast of the original 1960s series and market them to Trekkies.

Poor JJ.

Why won't people listen to his creative genius and do as they're told! :emoji_disappointed:

I, personally was looking forward to throwing away anything to do with Shatner, Doohan, Nichols etc and buying a pile of cheap plastic crud action figures based on STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS.

Doctor Omega

UtKrgoV.jpg

Okay, so you are watching a Star Trek episode, from any version of the show....

And then, in amongst the fisticuffs or technobabble, the story says something to you.....

Something meaningful....

But what?

Doctor Omega

You Can't Do More By Playing It Safe

This clip really came too close to home for me, by saying you can't do more by playing it safe. Wanted to share this on my blog. This clip was from the Star Trek the Next Generation series 'Tapestry'.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Racism

From the episode Let That Be Your Last Battlefield. Some call it hamfisted, but it's direct and to the point. Let not others judge you on the color of your skin, but on your character and actions. BTW, both guys from Cheron, Lokai and Bele, were Jerks. :P

Doctor Omega

Captain Janeway's Bully Speech

"You know, I'm really easy to get along with most of the time, but I don't like bullies and I don't like threats, and I don't like 'you', Culluh. You can try and stop us from getting to the truth but I promise you that if you do I will respond with all the 'unique technologies' at my command."

Doctor Omega

Three “Star Trek 4” Scripts In Development?

three-star-trek-4-scripts-in-development-696x464.jpg

Whether Quentin Tarantino gets involved or not, either way Paramount Pictures has contingencies in place regarding the next chapter in the “Star Trek” film franchise.

Right now the future of the films are uncertain. The current cast contracts reportedly ended with the underperforming “Star Trek Beyond” in 2016, though several have expressed a desire to return including Karl Urban and Zachary Quinto.

Speaking with Entertainment Tonight Canada this week, Quinto offered an update on what’s going on with the films at the moment and revealed there’s up to three scripts in the works for the film:

“First of all, I think there’s a couple of scripts. Because there was a script being written before Quentin Tarantino came up with his idea for a potential film. And so I think they are kind of developing more than one. So I don’t know what is going to happen. Quentin is off doing another movie.

So, I feel like we are in a state of anticipation. All of us are really excited about the idea of working with Quentin on a Trek film, but I know Simon Pegg and Doug Jung, who wrote the last film, are writing a script and there are another set of writers writing a script. So I don’t know. I don’t know what’s going to happen.”

Before the Tarantino reports, there was talk fo a fourth film effectively closing out this alternate timeline “Star Trek” and would do so by bringing back Chris Hemsworth’s dead George Kirk from the 2009 film – the destruction of his ship the U.S.S. Kelvin being the incident that caused the alternate timeline.

It’s unknown if Tarantino’s take plans to include the existing roster of actors, whether he wants to reboot yet again, or plans to set the film at a different point in the “Star Trek” timeline.