Review The Trek Franchise!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - GR' started by Doctor Omega, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Gavin

Gavin Member: Rank 6
    VIP

Depends on whether they're actually Star Trek films or just generic action adventure sci-fi movies using the Star Trek brand to publicise them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Meyer, Pegg Talk New “Star Trek” Films

meyer-pegg-talk-new-star-trek-films-696x464.jpg

Last year came reports that filmmaker Nicholas Meyer, the director of both “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” and “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,” was involved in a new project in the franchise – one separate from CBS All Access and Netflix’s “Star Trek: Discovery” series.

Further specifics, however, were not available until now when, whilst speaking at a discussion about “Shakespeare and Star Trek” at the University of California (via TrekCore), Meyer revealed he’s been working on a trilogy of “Star Trek” films for CBS All Access. Unfortunately, it hit a speed bump:

“I was hired to write a stand-alone Star Trek-related trilogy. I can’t discuss or I’d have to kill you. [Laughs] I was writing it for CBS [All] Access… but at the moment CBS is at a war with Paramount/Viacom. They’re in a power struggle, which turned really nasty this past week when CBS decided to sue [its parent company]. So, I don’t think my project is going anywhere in a hurry, because everything is on hold while they sort out this merger business. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.”

CBS is suing its parent company National Amusements in an effort to block a merger with Viacom (which owns Paramount Pictures). Should it go ahead, then the two companies that control the “Star Trek” series and films will fall under one roof.

Meanwhile Simon Pegg, who stars as Scotty in the J.J. Abrams-era “Star Trek” films, and helped write the last one “Star Trek Beyond,” recently spoke with ComingSoon and cleared up some confusion just as to who is writing the next film in the series.

Pegg says he has no involvement in the script for the fourth film with J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay doing the script and S.J. Clarkson directing. He also says Tarantino’s Trek film is notably further off:

“Quentin [Tarantino] turned up at the office a couple of months ago and said, ‘Hey, I’ve got an idea!’ So that’s in the hope for further down the line… Everyone sort of assumes it’s gonna be like “Pulp Fiction” in space, but I think his devotion to “Trek” and his understanding of it.

It won’t be ordinary, it’ll have him all over it, but it won’t be anything a “Star Trek” fan will have to worry about. He has an acute understanding of the story and he’d never do anything to tear it down. I haven’t read the treatment yet, but I might be able to in the next couple of weeks, so I’m excited about that.”

The second season of “Star Trek: Discovery” is in production, no air date has yet been set.

3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

So that's where we seem to stand at the moment.

The only one I might be interested in is Meyer's proposed trilogy, but only because he is a bright soul, with a great sense of humour - and, more importantly, a good storyteller.

4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Nicholas Meyer: His STAR TREK Miniseries Is On Hold Until The CBS Merger Crisis Concludes!!

khan_1_large.jpg

“I was hired to write a stand-alone ‘Star Trek’-related trilogy,” “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” director-ghostwriter Nicholas Meyer revealed to an audience gathered for his May 15 “Shakespeare and Star Trek” discussion at the University of California, Irvine.

“I was writing it for CBS [All] Access, but at the moment CBS is at a war with Paramount/Viacom. They’re in a power struggle which turned really nasty this past week when CBS decided to sue Viacom. So I don’t think my project is going anywhere in a hurry, because everything is on hold while they sort out this merger business.”

Though Meyer has never publicly revealed the subject matter of his secret Trek project, we've known since spring 2017 that Meyer’s CBSAA miniseries would serve as prequel to “The Wrath of Khan,” depicting the genetically enhanced superman’s life prior to his final showdown with Admiral James Kirk.

Meyer was credited as “consulting producer” during the first season of CBSAA’s “Star Trek: Discovery,” but sources indicate Meyer has had little or nothing to do with “Discovery” since producers elected not to produce the script he co-wrote for “Discovery’s” second episode.

Aside from 1982's “Star Trek II,” Meyer co-wrote and produced 1986's “Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home” (the one with the whales) and co-wrote, produced and directed 1991's “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country” (the one with the Klingon general who looked like Christopher Plummer). He also wrote and directed the 1979 Jack The Ripper thriller "Time After Time" and directed the 1983 post-apocalypse drama "The Day After."

• Like Like x 1
  5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

No thanks.

Have simply had enough of lazy, cowardly prequels.

And if they set it on Ceti Alpha V, it can only be boring, surely....

Joachim opens door of Botany Bay.

JOACHIM: Looks bad out there today Dad!

KHAN: Then close the door you imbecile!

JOACHIM: Oh, right!

Shuts door.

6. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Star Trek: The Lack of Khan - 1980s Star Trek Toys Review

• Like Like x 1
  7. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Here is a new fan film production that has been produced since the guidelines......

"Ghost Ship" A Star Trek Fan Production Segment 1

"Ghost Ship" A Star Trek Fan Production Segment 2

8. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator