Review Twice Upon a Time (2017)

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
The Doctor's Wife had the links to both The War Games with the message cubes and also Brain of Morbius somehow I thought! Shame they didn't carry on in this trend!
JB

johnnybear

That looked very stagey and the acting was not up to the Hartnell classic! And why oh why do they add the token black guy in the scenes when there wasn't a black actor in the base in the original? Earl Cameron, bless him is soon set for 101 years of age and he was in the original classic! Wow!
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I couldn't make out what Ben was saying at the end due to the sound of Michael Craze spinning in his grave at such a talentless replacement. :emoji_head_bandage:

Doctor Omega

Gawd! They don't half drag out these farewells to the newer Doctors!

4 whole minutes of people saying goodbyes.....

And he still had his 3 minute solo farewell speech to do yet........ :emoji_fearful:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Not a single tear welled up during any of that lot.

7 minutes of self-important sentiment, followed by the usual ridiculously over the top, explosive transformation; a fireworks display, worthy of New Year celebrations, to try and desperately stop a generation looking at their mobile phones.

But this....

This still moves me......

No music telling you how you should be feeling.

No dragged out, interminable "deep speeches"....

No "look at me, I'm a clever writer!" dialogue laying on the poignancy by the truckload.....

And no comparable budget to pay for even one single firework.... yet....

Just....

Words fail me........

Just no comparison........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might as well sling in all the other Classic regenerations up to Colin, now, all of which I find more appropriately done than the new crud..... (and even Time and the Rani had brevity on it's side! Or at least it did until BIG FINISH decided that Colin needed a New Who type, poignant, drawn out final speech in THE LAST ADVENTURE, quite recently.) :emoji_head_bandage:

Last_adventure.jpg

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-ultimate-foe-1986.5243/#post-55563

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The First Doctor Regenerates Animation! | Doctor Who

The Second Doctor Regenerates - Patrick Troughton to Jon Pertwee - Doctor Who - The War Games - BBC

Fourth Doctor Regenerates | Tom Baker to Peter Davison (EXTENDED) | Logopolis | Doctor Who | BBC

Fifth Doctor regenerates - Doctor Who - The Caves of Androzani - BBC

Last edited:

The Seeker

Gawd! They don't half drag out these farewells to the newer Doctors!

4 whole minutes of people saying goodbyes.....

And he still had his 3 minute solo farewell speech to do yet........ :emoji_fearful:
No kidding!! It wasn’t as bad as Tennant’s good-bye though. Nothing could top that. (But please, when the time comes, DON’T TRY!)

johnnybear

Apart from the last ten minutes of going back here and there I quite enjoyed Tennant's last story! It was almost as if that was the finale of the entire series! And with Moffhack coming in we all thought the show would be much, much better but instead it was a lot, lot worse!
JB

Doctor Omega

It was almost as if that was the finale of the entire series!

I think that hits the nail on the head, JB. And the same with the drawn out Capaldi/Moffat farewell above.

The two showrunners seem more intent on making a huge song and dance about their own farewells that they forget the audience just wants a well written and dramatic swansong for the title hero of the show they are writing.

The last line of Capaldi is, to me, a dead giveaway that Moffat is actually talking about himself through the mouth of the show's hero.... "Doctor, I let you go!" (Even though I think Capaldi delivers it beautifully in a way that is, I think, well beyond Jodie's acting range when her finale rolls around.)

All I want to see, in the last minutes of a story, is a broken, self-sacrificing Doctor, laying on the Tardis floor, cradled by a devastated companion. Too broken to say too much - with the story beforehand being too busy and dramatic to make any speeches or soppy farewells along the way.

(And no more standing up, arms spread wide - and definitely no 4th of July fireworks.)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Even though I think Capaldi delivers it beautifully in a way that is, I think, well beyond Jodie's acting range when her finale rolls around.
I suddenly have this vision of the Beeb pulling a Colin on Jodie, but they hire a 6'6" black man for the next Doctor who will have to wear a blonde wig to do the regeneration.