Fun What Instruments Do You Play?

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
If you play a musical instrument take a picture of what you play? What instruments do you wish you owned? Even links of videos of you jamming away.

Last edited:

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP

The first one is my first bass, its a cheap, but well build Sammick. The insides have all been replaced. The SD vintage pick ups and a 0,1 uF cap makes It very boomy.
The second is an Epiphone Thunderbird. I just love this model, its beautiful. The 2 humbuckers give it a lot of different tones.
The third is a Aria Pro, I got this as a gift. I like the reverse pickups on this one.
The fourth is a Squier short scale bass. Squier gets a lot of flack, but this is a nice big sounding bass. And because of my small and painful fingers, its now my favourite to play(also the reason for buying it). I did change the knobs, I didn't like these old skool Fender type knobs. The nylon tape wound strings I put on are amazing too.
The fifth is an Epiphone Les Paul. I hardly play this, but I just have in case I really want to play a guitar.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I don't have any pictures, but when I get some taken, I'll post them. I have a Fender Jazzmaster (year unknown), a Squire P-Bass, and a Washburn Lyon acoustic. I gave my son my SX Les Paul style, and he has a Fender 3/4 acoustic that my dad gave him. I also have a really sweet Yamaha keyboard that I haven't taken out of the closet in several years, only because I don't get the time to play much music anymore. :emoji_cry: I also have a small Rogue acoustic I bought years ago that the neck is separating from the body. I need to just glue it and get it set, but it was never really good for anything other than just jamming on. The neck was always slightly warped, and it didn't keep tune worth a damn.

@TheSowIsMine I love Thunderbirds! When I was in my last band (twenty years ago - where does the time go?!?), our demo producer offered to sell me his for about $400, which I just couldn't afford (hence why I bought the Squire - I don't care, Squires are damned good products!!!). Intrigued about the nylon wound strings. I've never played them, how's the sound/feel?

TheSowIsMine

VIP
The strings are less clanky sounding. They also produce less string sound from your fingers or when they hit your fretboard.
They have a little deeper sound right away.
The fell is weird at first. It's like having plastic strings. But my fingertips are very happy with these strings.
On the inside it's a round wound, so the tension isn't as high as with flat wounds.
They play fast. For me that is great. I have very tiny hands, even for a girl,so I have to work a little harder to reach my notes.

TheSowIsMine

VIP

I bought this cheap bass(left) and turned it into to something else.
Stripped off the poly with a heath-gun, sanded the many layers of paint and other stuff with a sanding machine. I changed the body shape and made my own pick guard from wood. I made it a 3 piece, so I could easily access certain parts, like when I have to change the battery.
Bought a new pick-up. An active EMG MMTW, its a musicman and jazz pickup in one. I had to chisel out some wood to make room for it.
Painted the pick guard and guitar body with a vinegar/steelwool/black tea mix. Because of the difference in wood type, they have a different colour. I changed the headstock, made it smaller.
I must say, Im happy with my first bass project.

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
I have no musical skills. I've tried learning guitar, sax, harmonica, dulcimer, and I have no talent for it. I even flunked out on the tin whistle which is the easiest thing except a kazoo. I practiced tin whistle every day for 6 months and was no better at the end than I was the first week. It's almost literally impossible for someone to be as bad at playing music as I am. But I have a decent ear for music and I can build musical instruments. Many people believe you can't build an instrument if you can't play it but that isn't true. Building an instrument is more engineering than art.

TheSowIsMine

VIP
I bought a cheap fretless bass as a basis for a new project. Its a bit getting used to having no frets, especially with my small hands.
Also, the side dots are in the same place as they would be on a fretted bass, which is very confusing.

PF4Eva

Member: Rank 3
Electronic keyboard/synth (I've played Casio in the past, but my current one is a Yamaha PSR-225 I got for Christmas in 2007.)

Electric guitar (Ibanez RX240. Christmas 2003.)
- Squier Sidekick 15 Reverb amp (Christmas 2003. Technically, it's a bass amp. It has a great tone, but when I want a more rock tone...)
- DigiTech RP-80 (Christmas 2006. I wanted more distortion/overdrive to suit my rock tastes. This baby is all that and more. Every effect I'd ever need: Flanger, phaser, chorus, delay, amp modeling [including overdrive/dist.], dual guitar effect, every variety of wah (even Crybaby) [everything except talk box, of course, no Frampton, Sambora or Joe Walsh], convert single-coil to humbucker and vice versa, reverb, compression [which I don't use]. Very flexible.)

TheSowIsMine

VIP
I also have a cheap 5-string bass. I didn't know if I would like it, so I didn't want to send that much money on it. I liked it, so I bought good strings(la bella flats, smoothest metal I have ever felt) and a new pick-up to make it better. Its my most played bass now. I did have to get used to the smaller string spacing.
For the new pick-up I had to chisel out the hole a bit more. It had 2 pick-ups and now only one, so there is and extra hole in the body.
One day I will strip it, fill it and do a repaint job.

My white thunderbird bass got a little neck warp and became unplayable(fret buzz on every fret on the e-string, even with unplayable high action). So I decided to remove the frets, fill it with wood filler and sand it, now its playable again. So now I have a fretless t-bird.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Since we're talking effects, I have a little Zoom 505 I got years ago. It has some decent distortions and a couple chorus settings which I use. Since I don't gig anymore, I just use it when I need to pound out some bar chords. I also have a Big Muff, the old school green one. I run my bass though that for some really nice crunch. I've always meant to pick up a cheap chorus pedal to pair with it for depth, but just never have.

@TheSowIsMine That before picture you posted of that cheap P-bass you worked on looks just like my Squire (except my headstock is the actual Squire/Fender style). I love the action on it. I really need to change the strings on it, but since I hardly ever get to play, I just keep putting it off.

TheSowIsMine

VIP
That before picture you posted of that cheap P-bass you worked on looks just like my Squire (except my headstock is the actual Squire/Fender style). I love the action on it. I really need to change the strings on it, but since I hardly ever get to play, I just keep putting it off.
Old strings sound nice and mellow. James Jamerson hardly changed his strings and he sounded great.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Nothing currently, but I would like to one day learn how to play this.......

ther.jpg

This bloke plays it a bit better than the above moggy......

And some guy who worked in the cinema was quite good too.........