Fun Open Thread

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Should I ever win a fortune, I am most looking forward to the sudden influx of friends that I never knew I had, who will all tell me how brilliant I am.

For a while.

I am not looking forward to them refusing to answer my drunken, embittered calls when I am eventually homeless and trying to remind them who I am - and how I could really do with them being there for me, like they promised they would be while hugging me at one of those lavish parties I threw in that mansion I used to own. :emoji_head_bandage:

Last edited:

streak1981

Member: Rank 3
Hey, guys...

I know I haven't been here in a long while, but I needed to take a timeout to deal w/ different shit. However, I'm back here because I needed to vent about what happened on Wednesday, & no matter how much I vent online (Facebook, Instagram, wherever else) & in person (at home, texting, therapy sessions), I just can't shake the anger about what happened (& what nearly occurred).

My brother & his girls moved to Parkland some months back, mainly because my brother's office in Tampa was closing down, & he opted to work from home for his company. He & his wife chose Parkland because it's supposed to be a safe area, the schools are reputable, & it's close to family. Fine. All well & good. His oldest daughter, who's fourteen, attends the middle school right next to Marjory Stoneman Douglas. On Wednesday my parents & I went to run a few errands, & when we came home, all me & my mother could focus on was the TV. Not even a week ago, my brother & his youngest daughter, who's nine, came to visit, & he was telling us about how when the other one starts high school next school year, she'll be attending MSD. As I watched the news on Wednesday, I saw the name of the affected school on the screen, & I honestly thought my heart was gonna stop. Suffice to say, my mother & I started shaking, & we had to down two fucking bottles of wine just to try & calm down. I texted my brother & sister-in-law & told them to turn to the local news, which they were already watching, & I got word that my niece was safe, & her school was on lockdown. All I keep thinking about is the fact that if it weren't for the fact that if her birthday weren't in November, she wouldn't have gotten held back a year, & she'd be attending that school this year as a freshman. The shooting, mind you, happened in the freshman building on campus. That's really fucking scary. Thankfully, she's safe, & now my brother & sister-in-law are discussing putting her in a different school next year.

I have another niece who attends high school in Miami now, & for the past three days her school has been receiving fake threats from some stupid pissant teenagers, one of whom doesn't even live in my state (he was arrested in South Carolina), who threatened a "Florida part 2". The parents of a good portion of the student population, my sister included, in her school stood in line for over an hour to pick up their kids, because they were afraid that the school was going to be placed on lockdown today. Two of my nieces are scared shitless because of this, & who can blame them?

It honestly makes me angry as hell that there are kids out there who think that shit like this is funny. Honestly, it DISGUSTS ME.

So, excuse me for venting here, but I needed to get all of this out somewhere. Thanks for reading/hearing me out.

Last edited by a moderator:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Never apologize for venting, first and foremost. Second, I'm so very happy your niece is safe. It's scary enough hearing about school shootings, having kids myself, but having a loved one near a situation like that...I can't even begin to imagine what you all went through. This makes 28 shootings this year (I believe that's the number), and all the right can do is offer thoughts and fucking prayers while they cash their checks from the NRA. They sit and say that the time immediately after a shooting isn't the time to discuss legislation, but I ask simply "Then when is the fucking time". And the idea that other kids think this is funny or something to be joked about makes me sick. I can only take comfort in the fact that I at least raised my kids not to be monsters.

I'm glad you're back with us, and you always have our ears. Vent about anything at all.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Thank you. I can say, as a Republican, even I'M sickened by this.
As an Aussie, the American attitude towards gun ownership and the second amendment simply makes no sense to me. In Australia, we had a mass shooting in 1996 and the government promptly clamped down on both gun ownership and the types of guns that were available for purchase and ownership. As a result, we haven't had a mass shooting since.

The second amendment wasn't part of the original American constitution. The original document had to be changed to include it, due to the circumstances of the time. Those circumstances have now changed, so it's about time the second amendment was either repealed or replaced with a new amendment to address the modern issues that stem from gun ownership in the USA.

I can't help but get the impression from the news coverage in Australia that while it's certainly newsworthy, it's a case of "here we go again" and "we've seen it all before". Just how often can you watch a nation of people with guns regularly repeat the same destructive behaviour towards each other, before you shake your head and look for something more positive to focus your attention on?

There's something your brother & sister-in-law should consider... How often has a mass shooting happened in the same school twice? Any school that's endured such a terrible event is more likely to be prepared against it happening again. The next school shooting will almost certainly happen in a different school. That different school could be the one they choose for their child to attend because they think it's safer.

It's all very sad when innocent lives are lost due to gun crime, but we all know it won't be the last time something like this happens. I'm just glad that your family members are safe and I hope that remains the case.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
I have no problems with anyone here wanting to own a gun. I don't agree with the guns being semi automatic guns, or something the army would be using in the field. That's where I kinda draw the line. Who the hell owns one of those anyway? You can't take it out hunting or anything.

The worst school deaths that ever happened was a mad man with a bomb, that took out Bath school in Michigan. Since then people have forgotten about other bombs, shootings, etc. You can take guns away from kids, but in the end if they are going to hurt others they will always find a way. This will fade away like Vegas did, till the next one happens, then it will all begin again. A endless wheel.

Also dumb question Why don't we have school shootings in the hood? You ever notice that it's always some town, and never any schools in the hood, with gang members even.

Doctor Omega

Crazy Stunts

TheWalk1.jpg

From parachute jumps - to hang-gliding to tightrope walking...

What's the appeal?

And would you.... have you... ever done these things?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Dramatic Moment Dad Bungee Jumps 200ft Off Bridge Holding His Two-Year-Old Daughter

There are very few people who can say that their father didn't put their life in danger at some point in their childhood. Dads are notorious for pushing the boundaries of parenting to their limits - be it building you a racing buggy but forgetting to put brakes on it, or giving you your first pint at the bar despite the fact that you're still under the legal age limit to consume alcohol. All too often these chaotic moments lead to the happiest memories. Remember that time dad tried to cook dinner and ended up giving us all food poisoning? What about that time he threw me in the swimming pool without floats because he forgot I couldn't swim?

But sometimes they take things too far. However, there are few dads who have taken it to quite the same level as the Malaysian reality television star, Redha Rozlan.

The Instagram personality came under fire earlier this week when he shared a video of himself bungee jumping into a 200ft ravine in Kuala Kuba Bharu whilst cradling his two-year-old daughter. The child wore no safety equipment - not even a helmet. The only thing she had to protect her from a potentially life-ending fall were her father's arms.

Unsurprisingly, the video has not been positively received by Rozlan's 124,000 Instagram followers, who were appalled by his irresponsible actions. But rather than apologize for the stunt, Rozlan defiantly defended his decision by uploading a picture of his daughter wearing a safety harness. The father-of-two insists that his daughter was wearing a harness during the jump, but that hasn't satisfied those concerned about the fact that she is not wearing a helmet. He also maintained that his daughter had asked him if she could do the jump.

Others were quick to comment that two years old is far too young to be allowed to jump and that all sensible bungee jumping companies would never allow such a small child to dive - whether they are strapped to a parent or not.

PF4Eva

Member: Rank 3
Weird Al buys CNN (April Fool's!)

By Deena Zaru, CNN

Updated 5:54 PM ET, Fri March 30, 2018

In the wake of the news that comedian Byron Allen had purchased The Weather Channel, acquisition news is about to get even weirder. Famed song parodist Weird Al Yankovic is buying CNN for $27 million.
When asked about the peculiar acquisition, Mr. Yankovic quipped, "The news is already a joke as it is. And I want to bide my time before I put out another record. Plus, I was incredibly bored. And what better way to cure boredom than by purchasing a major media conglomerate for no apparent reason?"

The move will be finalized on April 1, 2019.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/30/business/weird-al-buys-cnn/index.html

Well, color me surprised! I didn't see this one coming at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Omega

A Mysterious Building!

593824455a1d1b37360336b8-750-563.jpg

A Manhattan skyscraper is now being regarded as the most terrifying building in the world after actor Tom Hanks ignited new speculation over the bizarre structure. Conspiracy theories were rampant about the building after the 'Apollo 13' star posted a tweet to his more than 13 million followers asking what was up with it. "This is the scariest building I've ever seen! What goes on inside??" he tweeted

Last edited:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
The fact that it just sits there isn't terrifying.

However, if it were to mysteriously vanish overnight...

That would be terrifying.

Doctor Omega

What gets me about these things...

There must be loads of people who built it...

Loads of people who have worked in it...

Loads of people who have visited it for one reason or another....

Loads of people who still work in it...

Yet nothing has ever been heard from them about what's inside it, beyond a vague governmental idea. Secrecy must be well maintained. Or people have been bumped off before they can talk!

Yes, if this thread existed tomorrow and the building didn't - just a Tom Hanks photo of an empty space and no video - I would be out of here!! :emoji_scream:

I am starting to hate poor old Nelson Mandela - even though all this crazy shit is not his fault really.

Doctor Omega

pangea-2.jpg

Pangaea or Pangea ( /pænˈdʒiːə/[1]) was a supercontinent that existed during the late Paleozoic and early Mesozoic eras.[2][3] It assembled from earlier continental units approximately 335 million years ago, and it began to break apart about 175 million years ago.[4] In contrast to the present Earth and its distribution of continental mass, much of Pangaea was in the southern hemisphereand surrounded by a superocean, Panthalassa. Pangaea was the most recent supercontinent to have existed and the first to be reconstructed by geologists.

Origin of the concept
The name "Pangaea/Pangea" is derived from Ancient Greek pan (πᾶν, "all, entire, whole") and Gaia (Γαῖα, "Mother Earth, land").[5][10] The concept that the continents once formed a continuous land mass was first proposed by Alfred Wegener, the originator of the scientific theory of continental drift, in his 1912 publication The Origin of Continents (Die Entstehung der Kontinente).[11] He expanded upon his hypothesis in his 1915 book The Origin of Continents and Oceans (Die Entstehung der Kontinente und Ozeane), in which he postulated that, before breaking up and drifting to their present locations, all the continents had formed a single supercontinent that he called the "Urkontinent".

The name "Pangea" occurs in the 1920 edition of Die Entstehung der Kontinente und Ozeane, but only once, when Wegener refers to the ancient supercontinent as "the Pangaea of the Carboniferous".[12] Wegener used the Germanized form "Pangäa", but the name entered German and English scientific literature (in 1922[13] and 1926, respectively) in the Latinized form "Pangaea" (of the Greek "Pangaia"), especially due to a symposium of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists in November 1926

Pangea_animation_03.gif