Controversial The IMDF Conflict Zone!

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
OK, so it seems that everyone who was going to vote has voted. It's pretty late right now, so unless someone objects, I'll announce the winner tomorrow. All right?

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
So based on a very quick tally - what do we do if its a tie?
Well Mad Pac will have the say-so on what happens then. But I think it will be then decided on which show has more Sages voting for it (any position) .After that , if it's still a tie, then I remember a few years back we had a tiebreaker vote between the tied shows.
Lets hope we don't have a tie!
:emoji_fearful:

michaellevenson

Don't worry, no rewatch of Star Cops.
Catweazle and Omega Factor are the potentially tied shows.
So here is a bit more info on both shows, it may help those unfamiliar with either or both.
CATWEAZLE;
A light hearted well written show created by Richard Carpenter who also created Robin of Sherwood starring Jason Connery. Catweazle is a wizard, or so he believes from 1066, fleeing from The Norman invaders led by William The Conqueror he ends up in 1970. The transportation method, by black magic, is revealed as the series goes on.
The joy of the show is Catweazle's friendship with the boy nicknamed Carrot.
Not just a generational gap, but a 900 year one. Catweazle's bafflement at our modern world is terrific to behold. There's humour and pathos too, as Catweazle longs for home.
THE OMEGA FACTOR
Great show too, I voted for both on my list but removed this to try and avoid a tie.
Made in late seventies, this caused a stir, Mary Whitehouse ,head of an organization similar to the Moral Majority in the USA, described the show in disparaging terms. Unfortunately the BBC listened to her and scrapped it after ten episodes.
It deals with a Government department investigating telepathy, telekinesis, clairvoyancy etc, mixed in with a plot about a shadowy group wanting to take over the UK using such phenomena.
An excellent series, but anyone who struggled with the pace of Star Cops, might find this slow too. Either show would be a worthy one to do.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Don't worry, no rewatch of Star Cops.
Catweazle and Omega Factor are the potentially tied shows.
So here is a bit more info on both shows, it may help those unfamiliar with either or both.
CATWEAZLE;
A light hearted well written show created by Richard Carpenter who also created Robin of Sherwood starring Jason Connery. Catweazle is a wizard, or so he believes from 1066, fleeing from The Norman invaders led by William The Conqueror he ends up in 1970. The transportation method, by black magic, is revealed as the series goes on.
The joy of the show is Catweazle's friendship with the boy nicknamed Carrot.
Not just a generational gap, but a 900 year one. Catweazle's bafflement at our modern world is terrific to behold. There's humour and pathos too, as Catweazle longs for home.
THE OMEGA FACTOR
Great show too, I voted for both on my list but removed this to try and avoid a tie.
Made in late seventies, this caused a stir, Mary Whitehouse ,head of an organization similar to the Moral Majority in the USA, described the show in disparaging terms. Unfortunately the BBC listened to her and scrapped it after ten episodes.
It deals with a Government department investigating telepathy, telekinesis, clairvoyancy etc, mixed in with a plot about a shadowy group wanting to take over the UK using such phenomena.
An excellent series, but anyone who struggled with the pace of Star Cops, might find this slow too. Either show would be a worthy one to do.
Both sound worthy of a watch. And any show Mary Whitehouse didn't like must be good. :emoji_relaxed:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Okay, a final tweak to my list of votes.

CATWEAZLE (1970)

MOONBASE 3 (1973)

QUATERMASS (1979)

1990 (1977)

STAR TREK CONTINUES (2013)

Mad-Pac

So based on a very quick tally - what do we do if its a tie?
What was voted in a previous iteration of the group (of which Brimfin, Michaellevenson and I were part), and until we vote otherwise that's what stands, the following criterion to solve ties would be number of votes in general, in spite of ranking. This would make sure the show chosen by the greatest number of people would be picked, as opposed to a show that a few loved to death and others hated. But this decision didn't come with some controversy. And I suppose, since we have so many new members after that, we would probably have to revisit the issue and vote on the criteria again.

Mad-Pac

And the winner is...

I bet the suspense is killing you. So, here it goes...

The winner is

CATWEAZLE

Yep, it's real, nobody can beat the Brits these days.
But is this show a cat or a weasel? I guess we'll find out.

We start next Friday then.

Here are how all the shows ranked:

Shows ranked2.fw.png

Last edited by a moderator:

michaellevenson

I bet the suspense is killing you. So, here it goes...

The winner is

CATWEAZLE

Yep, it's real, nobody can beat the Brits these days.
But is this show a cat or a weasel? I guess we'll find out.

We start next Friday then.

Here are how all the shows ranked:

View attachment 7862
A few questions for you Mad Pac
1. This is the first time while I've been doing these shows that we've landed with a 25 minute per episode show. Is it still one episode per week?
Catweazle is not deeply analyzable , it's fun , humorous and a double thread each Friday with two cast lists , synopsis etc, might be okay in this instance. It's of course up to you.
2. You'll be watching on dailymotion I presume, if you want me to add a youtube link for each episode to each thread as you do them on Friday I can do that .

Mad-Pac

A few questions for you Mad Pac
1. This is the first time while I've been doing these shows that we've landed with a 25 minute per episode show. Is it still one episode per week?
Previously we had another children's show, a cartoon called "God, the Devil and Bob," and it also ran for less than half an hour, and one episode per week worked fine. Shorter shows often have more things happening in less time to fill a complete plot, so two episodes would mean two stories, and this is why we went for one story per week like the others.

Catweazle is not deeply analyzable , it's fun , humorous and a double thread each Friday with two cast lists , synopsis etc, might be okay in this instance. It's of course up to you.
I have no idea what's on this show specifically, so I can't tell you more than what would fit in a general rule. Normally two stories would double the amount of work. Likewise longer, 90-minute, pilots don't necessarily give us longer reviews, as reviewers tend to focus on the key aspects of the story only, so in the end what usually counts is how many stories we're doing.

that's my view on the subject. But of course, whatever the group feels comfortable with goes.

2. You'll be watching on dailymotion I presume, if you want me to add a youtube link for each episode to each thread as you do them on Friday I can do that .
Thanks but I can find the links on youtube, just can't play them. So, I can post both links, on both platforms. It's good if people have an alternative to Youtube anyway.

michaellevenson

I'm OK with one per week, as it is quicker to do an episode hopefully everyone will stay with it all the way.
Cloister 56 was mentioning catching up on the Blake's 7 run, as Gavin has now done I see, so I guess 25 minute CW episodes might help with our other project as well.

Mad-Pac

@Mad-Pac - Doc Omega and Michael might both be British, but neither chainsaw_metal1 or myself are.
It's just a joke, OK? But oh, come on, you guys have the Union Jack on your flag, so let's say for this matter you guys count as Brits or you can also say I'm using the informal term "Brit" as, informally, referring to the country members of the Commonwealth of Nations, which has Queen Elizabeth as the Head of the Commonwealth and who is your country's Monarch.

But of course, jokes aside, in serious matters I would never assume anything like that, or call a Scot British, or something like that, since understandably people get very sensitive as far as nationalities issues are concerned and the entire situation of the UK, or Britain (I never know when to apply which) and its former colonies with which the country still has close cultural ties, is very confusing for non-British outsiders like me.