Review The Missing Episodes

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I notice that PLANET MONDAS has pretty much fizzled to more or less a trickle in it's discussion of missing episodes.

I want to give up on the saga - and PLANET MONDAS - frankly, and keep trying to quit!!!!!

But, so long as I am haunted by the tantalising possibility that that Goddam Morris has.... something......

Doctor Omega

One of the last straws for me - MONDAS-wise - is that I simply cannot believe that Morris has POWER, since it was released as a specially commissioned - and paid for - animation.

It doesn't make sense to me that he sat back and let the animation happen, while he had episodes from it in his possession.

When I saw people saying that one didn't affect the other, I knew that people were just believing whatever they wanted to believe on there - and ultimately getting nowhere.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Thing is do you trust the BBC, Doc? If he has found Power after the animation was completed and then ready for distribution do you think the BBC are going to loose all the income from the said animation DVDs? No way and all they'd do is keep news of Power's return quiet for four or five years and then release it again knowing that all us poor sops will re-buy yet again which has been proved by the numbskulls who are buying the Bluray sets which they said they would never release due to video effects not being worthy of upgrading!
JB

Doctor Omega

I do think he has found.... something. But it's all so murky.

Another factor that makes me sceptical is that POWER had such poor distribution thanks to Terror Nation blocking overseas sales of Dalek stories that I don't rate that story's survival highly.

MARCO I can believe, although I am sad - if it has been held back - that Zienia Merton will now never get to see herself as Ping Cho, or do a commentary.:emoji_disappointed:

Doctor Omega

Telesnap Tuesday........

This week's (actually our first ever) randomly chosen Tuesday telesnap (on a Friday, but never mind) is that famous moment from THE UNDERWHELMING MENACE that almost but not quite ranks alongside THE WAR MACHINES Wotan ramblings for making us question the Doctor's name......

2009-02-13_115101_49.jpg

Doctor Omega

Telesnap Tuesday # 2.......

Hartnell, the ailing actor, full of faults, trying to cope with yet another two new regular actors (and these ones really don't like him) in his beloved show that he is rapidly losing his grip on, and where the production team want him out....... while still trying to play the Doctor as best he can, despite everything....... :emoji_cry:

df90605d0a1c498e420289295fbda425174c7bbc.jpg

Doctor Omega

Anneke has mentioned on numerous occasions about the "trickiness" of working with Hartnell over the years.

I was aware of Bill Hartnell’s irascibility, because my hubby had played the Toymaker before and so I already knew that he was liable to go off on one, so you had to watch him. So there was that element in rehearsals of having to be careful of the old man and having to treat him gently, so that was a little tense. Rehearsals were not as fun as they would become later, with Patrick Troughton, I have to say.
Q: What was Michael Craze like to work with?

A: He was a pal. He was a chum, and he was a pal. He was a pal forever, and we got on very well and we were a team, the two of us. I think in the beginning we supported each other, because working with Bill was tricky so we supported each other.

The trickiness Anneke has elaborated upon included having his own chair with his name on it that nobody was allowed to sit in and making it known that he was unhappy at a Bermudan actor (Earl Cameron) being in the cast of THE TENTH PLANET. "Michael and I were ashamed for Bill", she states on the making of THE TENTH PLANET...... As far a the chair went, Anneke brought a chair in and put a sign on it saying "Anneke Wills - and anyone else who wants to sit on it".

Both Michael and Anneke were relieved and overjoyed when Troughton took over.

Doctor Omega

I do think that, whatever his, seemingly deep, flaws, Hartnell was an excellent first Doctor. Attempts can be made to take his good name from him - probably successfully - but nobody can take away his achievement in originating that iconic role.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I do agree fully, that he was a wonderful person to originate the role. And quite honestly, had they not chosen him, the show may have not worked. But I have an issue at times separating an artist from the art, as it were. Knowing that the charming grandfatherly Doctor we saw onscreen was actually a racist behind the scenes taints my view of him. Not enough to never watch his performance again, because he is so damned brilliant as The Doctor. And I had heard for years about his apparent anti-Semitism, but I try to remember that it was a stance held by many at the time, so he isn't alone in that belief. Same way Tom Baker will always be my favorite Doctor actor, but I can't see him in the same way I did knowing how he was in real life.

johnnybear

This is really old news and in no way makes Hartnell a bad guy as everyone back then had a similar way of thinking! My Father's best pal was from Burma and in the sixties he once asked a man in the street for directions somewhere and was told to "F*** off N*****! Hartnell may not have liked black actors but I doubt even he would have been that rude! :emoji_unamused:
JB

Doctor Omega

Telesnap Tuesday # 3

BEN'S BETRAYAL.....

Perhaps the most interesting thing ever attempted with Michael Craze's character ever. Out of all the Doctor's friends, it is only Ben that proves susceptible to the hypnotic suggestions of the Macra and he turns on his fellow traveller's, even rejecting the evidence of his own eyes and denying that he and Polly had seen Macra.

I guess this is not too unexpected for, being a sailor, Ben is trained to follow orders already, but it is still quite a startling development for the character and raised the question of how much Ben could be comfortably trusted from here on in.....

And sure enough, the producers decided that they wanted shot of him in the next story, while wanting to keep the Polly character on with Jamie.

Michael Craze was hurt, according to Anekke Wills, at being asked to leave, since he felt he was doing a good job (and, to add insult to injury, here was that Fraser Hines muscling in on his turf and taking his lines - and not being susceptible to hypnosis).

It was not a good time to be a companion. The writers could mistreat your character and you could be dumped off the show at a moment's notice.

Not only that, all the effort you put into your characterisation could soon enough be wiped or your episodes destroyed (save for telesnaps and soundtracks).

Including Ben's most interesting moment.......

hqdefault.jpg

Doctor Omega

I have heard something about a brand new animated episode of a missing story being screened at (I think) this year's MISSING BELIEVED WIPED.

People seem to think it will be THE MACRA TERROR, but nobody seems sure.

Has anyone heard anything else about this? :emoji_alien:

johnnybear

Wow! People are apparently talking about The Macra Terror I've heard but The Wheel in Space is also up for debate! But that drip, Morris has stated there is no Who being returned from him! Why is he sitting on those beauties? Why can't we have them? Haven't we waited and suffered long enough?
JB

Doctor Omega

I just hope that any reveal will be categorical and final on his part. None of this...."maybe I have some more to reveal yet!" nonsense.

I just want the man to hand everything over and get lost.