Review What Current TV Shows Are You Watching at the Moment?

Discussion in 'TV: General' started by Doctor Omega, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

maxresdefault.jpg

Out of the current crop of shows on our screen, which ones do you watch?

And what do you think of them?

2. michaellevenson

michaellevenson Member: Rank 6

Well, I'm a classic tv kinda guy, as you know. But two returning shows I am or will be glued to are Red Dwarf xii starting on Thursday October 12 and have just started the new series 9 of Curb Your Enthusiasm. First episode was great as Larry David has come up with the idea of a Ayatollah based musical called FATWA!

• Like Like x 1
  3. michaellevenson

michaellevenson Member: Rank 6

Larry had this unfortunate mark on his head attending a funeral . Magic.
    [​IMG]

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  4. MovieKnut

MovieKnut Member: Rank 2

Currently watching Stranger Things, season 2. Also, catching up with Time After Time. The two hour pilot basically follows the original movie. Not great, but not as bad as some of the reviews I have read.

• Like Like x 1
  5. johnnybear

johnnybear Member: Rank 5

I've been enjoying series two of Glitch, The Australian series about seven people returning to life after many years and centuries in some cases! It's a Netflix produced show and I don't think it's available yet on DVD, but it's well worth a watch believe me!
    JB

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. McQualude

McQualude Member: Rank 3

Just finished S2 of Travelers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. McQualude

Just finished Ghost Wars (SyFy). Not sure what they were going for here. It was well acted but all over the place plotwise. Much like Blood Drive, it started as one thing and became something else except with GW it just kept becoming different things. Every episode took the plot in a new direction. The last 2 minutes of the season kind of makes up for it.

Also currently watching:
    The Good Place - about a girl (Kristen Bell) who wakes up in heaven and realizes she doesn't belong there. Really, really, good.
    The Last Man on Earth - I was in a love/hate relationship with S1 but it keeps getting better. One of those shows you like and can't articulate why.
    Superstore - Another well acted and well written comedy. It feels like fluff at first but has fully developed characters.
    The Librarians - Featherweight fluff.
    Vikings - Excellent television but has too many characters. They should consider a spin-off.
    Happy! - WTF! So extreme they can't even sell commercial time and each 60 minute episode is only 50 minutes long, lol. I like it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. McQualude

We binged all 8 episodes of The End of the F***ing World in one night. They are only 20 minutes long so it only took a couple hours. I've never seen a tv show quite like it. It's about a teenage girl that becomes attracted to a loner at her school. Unbeknownst to her, he's a psychopath looking for his first human victim and thinks she'll do just fine. So they go on a date ... and things get weird. Tightly written, well acted. If you have to like, or identify with the characters, it may not be for you. But if you like a good story regardless of likeable characters then I recommend checking it out.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheSowIsMine

TheSowIsMine What an excellent day for an exorcism
    Staff Member VIP

I just watched the first two episodes, its great so far.

I just watched episode 2x05 of Frontier and they just killed my favourite character, that sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. McQualude

I'm about 4 episodes in The Punisher (Netflix) and it's good but suffers the same problem was all the other Netflix/Marvel shows, too chatty and too slow. Jon Bernthal is excellent though. Totally believable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. johnnybear

I've been a lover of the DareDevil comic book in the sixties and seventies but the TV series on Netflix was too much really! How could any human being (without super powers) take the hammering he was giving by those assassins and survive? And also it can't have been that popular as I've not seen any production information on a third series in the pipeline yet!
    JB

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheSowIsMine

TheSowIsMine What an excellent day for an exorcism
    Staff Member VIP

They started filming in november.

• Like Like x 1
  13. johnnybear

Oh right! I wonder who the regular villain will be this time? The Gladiator? The Masked Marauder, Man-Bull? All great characters but I doubt we'll be seeing them anytime soon!
    JB

• Like Like x 1
  14. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Which Shows Are Getting Renewed In 2018?

which-shows-are-getting-renewed-in-2018-696x464.jpg

It’s coming to that time of year again. In early May the networks have to lock down which of their series are being renewed and which are being axed for next season.

While some have already had their fate decided, many remain uncertain and a few of those are ‘on the bubble’ with the verdict potentially going either way. Deadline has posted a summary of what’s likely to stay and go according to insiders at the networks. Here’s the list:

The CW
    Likely Renewal: “Arrow,” “Black Lightning,” “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,” “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” “Dynasty,” “The Flash,” “Jane the Virgin,” “Riverdale,” “Supergirl,” “Supernatural”

Could Go Either Way: “iZombie,” “Life Sentence”

Likely Axed: “Valor”

Too Early To Tell: “The 100”

CBS
    Already Renewed: “The Big Bang Theory,” “SEAL Team, “SWAT,” “Young Sheldon”

Likely Renewal: “Blue Bloods,” “Bull,” “Hawaii Five-0,” “Kevin Can Wait,” “Life In Pieces,” “Mom,” “NCIS,” “NCIS: LA,” “NCIS: New Orleans”

Could Go Either Way: “MacGuyver,” “Man with a Plan,” “Scorpion,” “Superior Donuts”

Likely Axed: “9JKL,” “Living Biblically,” “Me, Myself & I,” “Wisdom of the Crowd”

Too Early To Tell: “Code Black,” “Criminal Minds,” “Elementary,” “Instinct”

NBC
    Already Renewed: “Chicago Fire,” “Chicago Med,” “Chicago P.D.,” “The Good Place,” “Superstore,” “This is Us,” “Will & Grace”

Likely Renewal: “AP Bio,” “The Blacklist,” “Blindspot,” “Champions,” “Law & Order: SVU”

Could Go Either Way: “Timeless”

Likely Axed: “The Brave,” “Great News,” “Taken”

Too Early To Tell: “Good Girls,” “Rise”

ABC
    Already Renewed: “The Goldbergs,” “The Good Doctor,” “Modern Family,” “Roseanne”

Likely Renewal: “American Housewife,” “Black-ish,” “Designated Survivor,” “Fresh Off the Boat,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “How to Get Away with Murder,” “Speechless”.

Could Go Either Way: “Agents of SHIELD,” “Deception”

Likely Axed: “For the People,” “Inhumans,” “Kevin (Probably) Saves the World,” “The Mayor”

Too Early To Tell: “Alex Inc.,” “Splitting Up Together,” “Station 19”

FOX
    Already Renewed: “9-1-1,” “Bob’s Burgers,” “Family Guy,” “The Gifted,” “The Orville,” “The Simpsons”

Likely Renewal: “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” “Empire,” “Gotham,” “LA to Vegas,” “Lethal Weapon,” “The Mick,” “The Resident,” “Star”

Could Go Either Way: “Ghosted,” “The Last Man On Earth,” “Lucifer”

Likely Axed: “The Exorcist”

15. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

The CW Renews Ten Series For 2018-19

the-cw-renews-ten-series-for-2018-19-696x464.jpg

It was expected, and now it’s official – The CW has renewed nearly its entire lineup of series as it expands to a sixth night of originals for the 2018-19 broadcast season.

Ten series have seen official renewals for next year – “Arrow,” “Black Lightning,” “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,” “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” “Dynasty,” “The Flash,” “Jane the Virgin,” “Riverdale,” “Supergirl” and “Supernatural”.

More than most networks, The CW relies heavily on streaming returns and lucrative Netflix SVOD deals with much of their fare selling and performing well overseas. It’s working though as not only is digital viewership particularly strong compared to other networks, but the current season of shows is up 3% in total viewers compared to last year.

Still to be determined are the fates of shows launching mid-season including the recently launched “iZombie,” “Life Sentence” and the soon to launch “The 100”. The military drama “Valor,” which debuted in the Fall, also hasn’t been given a renewal order as yet and is unlikely to according to recent reports. Those four shows will have their fates revealed next month at the upfronts in May.

Additionally “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” star Rachel Bloom confirms the show’s renewal for a fourth season is also going to be the show’s final season.

16. McQualude

CW: iZombie had a bad S3 but S4 has been entertaining. Valor was okay for a few episodes but really dumb, they need a military consultant. S3 & S4 of The 100 were pretty bad, S5 is about to start.
    CBS: Elementary started well but quickly devolved into formulaic garbage. Most others I have quit watching or only watched a few episodes.
    NBC: Good Place, Superstore, AP Bio are all awesome. Timeless is dumb fun. The rest I don't care about.
    ABC: Good Doctor is mildly entertaining, I'll probably watch another season. Agents of Shield has been on the decline since they killed Ward, one of the best bad guys on a tv series. The rest, don't care.
    Fox: 911 is trashy fun, I fast forward through the relationship drama and only watch the exciting stuff; I can do another season. The Orville was fantastic, love it. LA to Vegas is hilarious. The Mick is up and down, some episodes are amazing, others are lazy. I wish Lethal Weapon would die. It's badly written, Riggs is super annoying, and my wife loves it so I have to watch it with her. Ghosted is mildly amusing. Lucifer plummeted, went from great to mostly terrible, get rid of CSI girl already. Exorcist had a good S1, terrible S2, kill it. Last Man on Earth is fantastic, one of the best shows on television though it didn't start that way.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

CBS Renews Eleven Of Its Series

cbs-renews-eleven-of-its-series-696x464.jpg

Just a few weeks out from TV upfronts, CBS has announced it has renewed eleven returning series for the 2018-2019 season. That comes on top of the six already renewed earlier this year, meaning seventeen shows are set to return.

Those just announced to return include “NCIS: Los Angeles,” “NCIS: New Orleans,” “MacGyver,” “Hawaii Five-O,” “Blue Bloods,” “Madame Secretary,” “Bull,” “Survivor,” “The Amazing Race,” “60 Minutes” and “48 Hours”. They join previously announced returnees “The Big Bang Theory,” “Young Sheldon,” “Mom,” “NCIS,” “SEAL Team,” and “S.W.A.T.”

So who is missing? Veteran procedural “Criminal Minds,” comedy “Life In Pieces,” newcomer “Instinct” and the entire Monday night line-up – “Scorpion,” “Superior Donuts,” “Man with a Plan” and “Kevin Can Wait”. The new season of “Elementary” has yet to premiere so its fate is also uncertain.

18. McQualude

S6 of Elementary airs at the end of April. I won't be watching.

19. johnnybear

Can't say I've seen a single episode of Elementary to be honest and American television these days is so, so boring! It's the only thing in their world and their actors all look alike and all have perfectly white teeth, even the tramps and bums on the street!!! Occasionally they produce a show that is a hit and we seem to get in on it as well but nowadays their Nielsen ratings aren't the only power in television as none of the Berman produced Treks appeared on network and were on local cable channels I believe but as I'm not an expert on it I'd hazard a guess! If ENT for instance had of been put on the network I doubt it would have completed a first season let alone four or seven!
    JB

20. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator