Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Your thoughts on this movie......

The original two movies can be found here......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/escape-from-new-york-1981.1805/#post-9880

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/escape-from-l-a-1996.1806/#post-9883

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After years of delays, with Breck Eisner once attached to direct and Gerard Butler and Jeremy Renner previously eyed to star, 20th Century Fox's Escape From New York remake is finally moving forward.

The studio has brought on filmmaker Robert Rodriguez to direct this highly-anticipated remake, although no production schedule has been given. Luther creator Neil Cross came aboard to write the script back in October 2015.

Andrew Rona and Alex Heineman are set to produce the remake through their production company known as The Picture Company. 20th Century Fox won the rights to this iconic franchise back in January 2015 in a bidding war, with original Escape From New York director John Carpenter coming aboard as an executive producer. No details have been given regarding the new script by Neil Cross, or how different it will be from the original movie, but it is believed that the studio wants to turn this into a franchise like its Planet of the Apes series of films. There was also a recent report that claimed this project will be much different than originally imagined.

The last we heard on this Escape From New York project was in December, when a report surfaced that claimed this is actually an Escape From New York prequel, charting the origins of the iconic Snake Plissken. That report claimed that whoever plays Snake Plissken will not wear the iconic eyepatch, and it is believed that this story will tell how he came to wear the eyepatch in the first place. That report also claimed that this Escape From New York prequel will be the first installment of a new trilogy, which will lead up to the events of the original movie.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Sam Raimi is coming on board to helm the mystery thriller centered around the Bermuda Triangle for Skydance Productions.

Doctor Omega

David Ayer To Helm The “Scarface” Remake

NEDdVEDJigFbHD_1_b.jpg

“Suicide Squad” and “End of Watch” director David Ayer is set to replace Antoine Fuqua as director on the “Scarface” remake at Universal Pictures.

Ayer penned the script for Fuqua’s breakout film “Training Day,” so the hiring is a welcome one. Fuqua had to depart due to a scheduling conflict with “The Equalizer” sequel.

He beats both “Hell or High Water” filmmaker David Mackenzie and “Patriots Day” helmer Pete Berg who were linked to the project earlier this year.

Joel and Ethan Coen were the most recent scribes to do a polish on the script for this incarnation of the story which focuses on a Latino gangster in contemporary Los Angeles.

diegoluna-scarface-228658.png

Diego Luna has been attached to play the title gangster, with Ayer’s hiring it’s unclear if that will remain the case. Ayer’s fantasy film “Bright” starring Will Smith is slated to hit the service in December.

The new “Scarface” opens August 10th next year.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
SCARFACE (1983) is one of my all-time favourite films - currently at number two. The soundtrack by Giorgio Moroder - my favourite musician - is one of my favourites of all time.

I'm sorry, but no matter how good this remake might be, it'll never be good enough.

Doctor Omega

_96103170_pugwash.jpg

British actor Nick Frost is set to play classic British children’s character “Captain Pugwash” in a John Hay-directed live-action movie from Atticus Pictures, Carnaby International and China’s Costar Culture & Media.

Frost will play the bumbling and cowardly pirate, created by John Ryan, who has been a British children’s favorite since first appearing as a comic strip in 1950. In the film he’s on a mission to rescue cabin boy Tom’s father, who has been marooned on a volcanic island with a hoard of treasure protected by an army of angry ghosts. Jason Flemyng also stars.

Captain Pugwash is a fictional pirate in a series of British children's comic strips and books created by John Ryan. The character's adventures were adapted into a TV series, using cardboard cut-outs filmed in live-action (the first series was performed and broadcast live), also called Captain Pugwash, first shown on the BBC in 1957, a later colour series, first shown in 1974–75, and a traditional animation series, The Adventures of Captain Pugwash, first aired in 1998.[1]

The eponymous hero – Captain Horatio Pugwash – sails the high seas in his ship called the Black Pig, ably assisted by cabin boy Tom, pirates Willy and Barnabas, and Master Mate. His mortal enemy is Cut-Throat Jake, captain of the Flying Dustman.

History
Captain Horatio Pugwash made his debut in a comic-strip format in the first issue of The Eagle in 1950, then appeared regularly as a strip in Radio Times. In 1957 the BBC commissioned a series of short cartoon films produced by Gordon Murray. Ryan produced a total of 86 five-minute-long episodes for the BBC, shot in black-and-white film, but later transferring to colour. Ryan used a real-time technique of animation in which cardboard cutouts of the characters were laid on painted backgrounds and moved with levers. The characters' voices were provided by Peter Hawkins. The last series of Pugwash shorts by Ryan was produced in 1975.

Although there are many anachronisms in the series, the book The Battle of Bunkum Bay gives some useful clues as to the era in which the stories are set. In this book, the King of Great Britain strongly resembles George I and the King of France resembles Louis XIV, suggesting that this story took place in 1714–15. However, one of the few direct references to a date is in the original TV series is the episode 'Pirate of the Year' where Pugwash enters the "Pirate of the Year contest 1775"

A number of spin-off books were written by John Ryan, who in the 1980s drew three new Pugwash comic-strip storybooks: The Secret of the San Fiasco, The Battle of Bunkum Bay and The Quest for the Golden Handshake.

A related book by John Ryan was Admiral Fatso Fitzpugwash, in which it is revealed that Pugwash had a medieval ancestor who was First Sea Lord, but who was terrified of water.

Theme
The series had a memorable signature tune The Trumpet Hornpipe which was played by accordionist Tom Edmundson and arranged by Philip Lane. He had learned the tune from Jimmy Shand. The tune appears to have been popular from the mid-19th century, but its composer and country of origin are unknown. In the United States it is known as the Thunder Hornpipe. Other background music was provided by BBC music arranger and pianist Johnny Pearson.

Libel case regarding double entendres
There is a persistent urban legend, repeated by the now defunct UK newspaper the Sunday Correspondent, that ascribes sexually suggestive names – such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger (meaning "have sex with") the Cabin Boy – to Captain Pugwash's characters, and indicating that the captain's name was a slang Australian term for oral sex.[3] The origin of this myth is likely due to student rag mags from the 1970s[4]and the character Master Mate, whose name when spoken by Pugwash occasionally sounded something like "Master Bate". However none of the other characters ever featured in the show. Interestingly, although there was a real character called Willy, which is an inoffensive British slang term for penis, this character is never cited as an example of the double entendres.

John Ryan successfully sued both the Sunday Correspondent and The Guardian newspapers in 1991 for printing this legend as fact.

Doctor Omega

800.jpg

Universal-Frankenstein-Movies-Shop.jpg

This movie will form part of Universal Films' Dark Universe......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/universal-monsters-dark-universe.2540/

Universal is building out its own cinematic universe of classic monsters starting with this Summer’s “The Mummy” and leading into numerous other projects including “Bride of Frankenstein,” “The Invisible Man” and “The Wolf Man”.

One of the rumored projects in development is a new take on “Frankenstein” with Javier Bardem previously rumored to be in talks to play the famous monster.

NElUhBvfkUOzpn_1_b.jpg

This week, out doing “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” promotion, Bardem has directly confirmed that talks are happening. He tells Cinema Blend:

“Yeah, well, there are talks. And I would love to be part of it. Because it’s an iconic… speaking of an iconic character! I have the size of the head. [Laughs] That’s for sure. They’re not going to waste a lot of money in makeup, that’s for sure.”

Other actors who have been linked to such a universe include Johnny Depp as The Invisible Man and Angelina Jolie as the Bride of Frankenstein. “The Mummy” is currently tracking for a soft $40 million opening at this point.

Last edited:

Carol

Member: Rank 5
First thought - in what way do we need another one? I'm several iterations behind the pack by now - and it's a story I have a lot of time for - just not, apparently, enough time for all the film versions.

This one on ice, maybe (part of the Frozen "universe")?

Carol

@Doctor Omega
Thanks for the heart, Doc. I know you are wonderfully committed to offering us exciting news, topics and esoteric cinematic ponderables in a highly creditable, diplomatically detached manner - but SERIOUSLY, sweetie, what do YOU think? You are so gloriously well-versed in cinema lore, but you are very much allowed to multi-task and tell us what you think, too. I'd love to know! e.g.

Another F***kenstein? Oh, Joy!
Does Hollywood even remember the meaning of the word "original"?
The next studio executive who misuses the word "meets" has something amputated which he'd really prefer to have kept....

Doctor Omega

Well, taking off my impartial-posting hat for a moment, I have to say, I really loved the old Universal Monsters films of the thirties and forties, with many of them, of course, forming part of the first shared cinematic universe.

Clearly Universal Studios have now taken a look around at the Marvel, DC shared universes and the like - and decided that they want a cut of that lucrative market by, sort of, reviving that old universe.

But I think that they just can't recreate the magic.

There is something off key to me about their whole approach.

The Mummy movie feels to me like a flop in the waiting and the low estimate of box office takings seems to bear this out.

Dracula Untold was supposed to be the first film in this shared universe, but, when it flopped, Universal suddenly said, "Oh, actually, that one doesn't count."

Will they do that as each one flops, I wonder? :emoji_alien:

There is also the added problem, as you have pointed out, Carol, of the more literary of these tales - Frankenstein, Dracula - having been done to death over the years in oh so many different adaptions.

So, pessimistic, is how I feel.

I would love to be proven wrong in the long run though, but even if I am right, there are still those glorious original films to watch, starring Karloff, Lugosi, Rathbone, Chaney etc. :emoji_alien:

Doctor Omega

mckellen_byrne_nielsen.jpg

Sir Ian McKellen has joined the international cast of Ken McMullen’s “Hamlet Revenant” alongside Gabriel Byrne and Connie Nielsen, Maria Boda, Lambert Wilson, Dominique Pinon and Lex Shrapnel.

Filming begins in the second half of 2017.

An original adaptation of Shakespeare’s “Hamlet,” the film explores the violence and destructive instincts that haunt the human psyche through the story of a man caught in a vortex of revenge, doubt and madness.

Carol

there are still those glorious original films to watch
I think you're spot on about all of it, with the option of revisiting the originals being the saving grace. They were made with conviction, fun, flair and an appetite to experiment that current franchise building seems to bypass utterly.
Like you said, hope I'm wrong too - but worth it to see you without your hat of impartial power for once!

Doctor Omega

800.jpg

96904137-6718-48b2-8710-459ba065cdf7.jpg

After helping Disney's live-action "Beauty and the Beast" spin box office gold, director Bill Condon has been tapped to breathe new life into "Bride of Frankenstein."

Universal Pictures said Monday that Condon's remake will hit theaters in February 2019, making it the second film in its newly coined " Dark Universe " series.

Universal is one of the few studios without any superhero intellectual property and have long planned to draw on its own library of classic monster characters for a run of films.

First up in the Dark Universe series is this summer's "The Mummy" reboot, starring Tom Cruise, Sofia Boutella and Russell Crowe, which debuts in theaters on June 9.

Future films include The Invisible Man, with Johnny Depp, and Frankenstein's Monster, with Javier Bardem.

The original 1935 Bride of Frankenstein movie can be found here.......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-bride-of-frankenstein-1935.893/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

NEBTF5lGBOCXFI_2_b.jpg

This movie will form part of the Universal Monster Dark Universe........

700.jpg

Universal Pictures confirmed Monday that Johnny Depp will play The Invisible Man and Javier Bardem Frankenstein's Monster, in what the studio is branding its “Dark Universe”. Universal essentially created the monster movie genre in the 1930s when it released such classic films as Frankenstein, Dracula and The Mummy, and creating legendary stars like Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi in the process. And while studio had great luck reviving The Mummy in the 1990s, and remade The Wolfman with Benicio Del Toro with lesser success in 2010, monster movie offerings from Universal over the years have been few and far between.

Looking to mine its classic movie monsters for a whole new generation of moviegoers on a consistent basis, Universal is kicking off what is now known as its Dark Universe series on June 9 with The Mummy, starring Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe. And while there have been reports about the likes of Depp and Bardem circling Universal monster movie projects, nothing was officially confirmed by Universal until Monday.

News of Depp and Bardem’s involvement came in a photo released by Universal (see below), where the stars are pictured with Cruise, Crowe and Sofia Boutella, who plays the titular character in The Mummy. The studio also confirmed that Beauty and the Beast director Bill Condon, who has been negotiating to direct The Bride of Frankenstein, will indeed be at the helm. In a press release, Universal Chairwoman Donna Langley says:

“We take enormous pride in the creativity and passion that has inspired the reimagining of Universal’s iconic monsters and promise audiences we will expand this series strategically. The enterprise masterfully developed by Chris (Morgan) and Alex (Kurtzman) will allow each subsequent chapter the right time to find the perfect cast, filmmakers and vision to fulfill it. As we launch Dark Universe with Danny (Elfman’s) provocative theme before The Mummy and collaborate with a brilliant filmmaker like Bill to weave the story of a very modern woman in a very classic tale, we feel confident we’re off to a tremendous start.”

The original 1933 Invisible Man movie can be found here......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-invisible-man-1933.881/

Doctor Omega

William Joyce To Helm “The Extincts”

william-joyce-to-helm-the-extincts-696x464.jpg

Cirrina Studios has announced that William Joyce (“Epic,” “Meet the Robinsons”) will direct its animated film adaptation of Veronica Cossanteli’s popular young adult novel “The Extincts”.

“Shrek 2” producer David Lipman adapted the script which follows the madcap adventures of George Drake, a boy who goes to work on a farm hidden deep in the woods
where he discovers a hidden cache of extinct and mythological creatures, one of which escapes and terrorises the town in which he lives.

Pre-production starts in June, with an eye towards a 2019 release. The project will be produced by Michael Siegel and handled out of Dwarf Animation Studio in Montpellier, France.