Your thoughts on this Doctor......

On to the next Doctor......

THE TROUGHTON DOCTOR.......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-patrick-troughton-doctor-your-view.1915/

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
What's not to love. He helped create an incredible character that's still loved more than 40 years after his death. And his delight in playing the character (which was very much "against type" for him at the time) was obvious.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I had already watched Jon, Tom and Peter when I finally got to see Bill's turn in the TARDIS. You see that he is having fun in the role, and knowing that this had never been done before, you get a real sense of the awe that early audiences had with the show and with his role in it. Also, after watching An Adventure in Time and Space, you get more of an appreciation of what it took to bring that show to life and Bill's involvement in that process.

johnnybear

William Hartnell was just a little before my time as a child but the stories I've seen of his I've liked! His absolute perfection for programming The TARDIS on it's flights wouldn't have done his successors or the show any harm either!
JB

johnnybear

A great show! Which begs a question of why I never saw it four years ago!!! Was it rubbish? Some episodes weren't too good as I remember but it sure is rubbish now!
JB

johnnybear

Would have been great to have seen Capaldi regenerate into Bill Hartnell and then start the whole legend up all over again!
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
What a mind-blowing ending/return to the beginning that would have been for the entire show.

I love the idea.

An eternal circle a-la the original PLANET OF THE APES films. :emoji_alien:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Would have been great to have seen Capaldi regenerate into Bill Hartnell and then start the whole legend up all over again!
JB
A very interesting idea, but as Matthew Smith was the 13th and final incarnation of the Doctor's first regeneration cycle, it should've been him who did it.

Doctor Omega

It took some mental leap-frogging (via ignoring the odd line here - or dumb scene - or "hand" regeneration there - and certainly that last regeneration into Romana III, but in my head-canon it ends at TWICE UPON A TIME, with the final Doctor meeting the first Doctor, encouraging that first guy to regenerate and then saying for himself and for me: "Doctor, I let you go!"

What a fitting last line, imo, for the Doctor as he dies.

And I did let him go.

I will look in on this bizarre new spin-off, created by a fan who has completely lost the plot, just out of curiosity. ("Can it really be as bad as I suspect it's going to be?" I suspect yes.) But actual Doctor Who in my head-canon ends rather neatly at TWICE UPON A TIME.

Until recently it ended brutally at SURVIVAL, because I was so miffed at what I consider all the blithe, blase, cocky and arrogant tinkering with the mythology and d.n.a. of the show that those (drunk on power fools surrounded by idiotic "yes" people?) RTD and Moffat had been doing, so even including New Who at all has been generous for me.

But now - with a large dollop of mental gymnastics - I have my longed for cut off point with TWICE UPON A TIME. And it feels like a longed for mercy killing as it is.

Last edited:

johnnybear

My Who ended with the last Matt Smith episode and to be honest I wasn't happy letting it go that long! For ages my final one was End of Time with David Tennant changing into Flatface smith, but I liked the build up to the fiftieth anniversary and I felt that I should continue to collect the DVDs but disappointed yet again I was! The Capaldi era was just terrible from his first story so I don't feel guilty at all from abandoning my once favourite television show! I've still got the wonderful classic era to see again!
JB

Doctor Omega

Unfortunately, I find that New Who has tainted the legacy of Classic Who more than a little for me...
That's true. I think such serious overwriting of the mythology has taken place that nothing less than a total reboot - Year Zero - take on the material would make it a future success after the current rubbish is cancelled.

• Clara was in every classic story. Apparently. Saving the day constantly - and helping the poor stupid Doctor along. She also advised him as a child to be brave, making him the student to her mentor. And - oh - advised him which Tardis to steal when he left Gallifrey, because he was a bit dumb like that. And she even got a bit carried away and announced that she was the Doctor on one occasion, when she wasn't threatening to slap the Doctor so hard he would regenerate. To balance this out, the Doctor did a brave thing now and again - when Clara let him. But yeah, it was her show now, (when River Song wasn't taking up any slack left by Clara).
  • Late in the day we suddenly find that Time Lords can change gender - and that the first words out of a female Time Lady's mouth being: "Back to normal am I? Dear Lord, how do you cope with all that ego?" Blatant misandry. Alongside River Song's jibe at the Doctor: "Are you thinking? Stop it! You're a man!" (At least Patrick Who never took the piss out of Polly's coffee making skills in The Moonbase. Nobody made a moche latte like Polly!)
  • Zero fear in the face of deadly threats. Let's say a quip instead, or some weak, unfunny half arsed line of smart alec banter. (Yeah, let's joke about Dalek plungers while they are trying to exterminate you.) True heroism lies in being terrified and still doing a heroic thing, surely - and is much more riveting to watch.
  • Dishonest box ticking. As much as it may be politically correct, Victorian London was sadly not, in reality, teeming in the streets with black or Asian gentry. Nor would a black soldier of the time of Gatis' story be showing off the photo of his white sweetheart back home. It is debatable whether he would even be in that uniform. Surely better to be honest about history, not fabricate it. It all was a little bit too 1984 for me where history is what the authorities decide and forget all that you have learned in the past. I am also concerned that Jodie's forthcoming jaunts into history will ignore the fact that she would, in reality, have been regarded as a second class citizen in lots of cultures. No doubt smart arsed banter from her and her companions aimed at the stupid folk they meet will paper over the awful historical truths. UNIT being composed of mostly women was also over the top, box-tick wise, I thought
  • Weak/flat/bland acting. I just feel the standard of acting in the UK has plummeted over the years and lots of supporting characters are frankly giving shit performances. Witness Ben played by Michael Craze compared to the guy phoning it in as Ben in the last episode. Ditto all these "shock troops" and "tough" soldiers the Doctor and his party meet in each story. Just badly, badly played, looking as if they are concentrating more on their next shopping trip list rather than becoming the character they are supposed to be playing. Danny Plank would have been a better name too, i.m.o. and I couldn't tell any difference when he became a Cyberman.
  • Showrunners boasting about the treats we have in store, when it turns out that eating doggy treats would have been more satisfying and made me throw up less
  • Apart from that, I love the current show and won't hear a bad word against it! *
* The last one is a blatant lie.

Last edited: