Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I have never seen this film before in my life - and still haven't. And may watch it soon one day.

But I read of it years ago and saw maybe just one photo from it, similar to the poster and the title sure stuck in my mind. :emoji_alien:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8

I Was a Teenage Frankenstein (a.k.a. Teenage Frankenstein in the UK) is a film starring Whit Bissell, Phyllis Coates and Gary Conway, released by American International Pictures (AIP) in November 1957 as a double feature with Blood of Dracula. It is the follow-up to AIP's box office hit I Was a Teenage Werewolf, released less than five months earlier. Both films later received a sequel in the fictional crossover How to Make a Monster, released in July 1958. The film stars Whit Bissell, Phyllis Coates, Robert Burton, Gary Conway and George Lynn.

chainsaw_metal1

I still have this one on VHS. Now if I only had a working VCR.

I caught Return of Dracula one night on TV. One of the local channels used to show old movies on Saturday nights after midnight. I can't say I remember much about it, so another viewing might just be in order.

Doctor Omega

MV5BMzM2YTgyM2YtMTQ5ZS00OWU4LWFiZTctNzg1ZTg1OGQzZDVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_.jpg

Frankenstein 1970 is a 1958 science fiction horror film, shot in black and white CinemaScope, starring Boris Karloff and featuring Don "Red" Barry. The independent film was directed by Howard W. Koch, written by Richard Landau and George Worthing Yates and produced by Aubrey Schenck. It was released in some areas in 1958 on a double bill with Queen of Outer Space.

Plot
Baron Victor von Frankenstein (Boris Karloff) suffered torture and disfigurement at the hands of the Nazis as punishment for not cooperating with them during World War II. Horribly disfigured, he nevertheless continues his work as a scientist. Needing funds to support his experiments, the Baron allows a television crew to shoot a made-for-television horror film about his monster-making family at his castle in Germany.

This arrangement gives the Baron enough money to buy an atomic reactor, which he uses to create a living being, modeled after his own likeness before he had been tortured. When the Baron runs out of body parts for his work, however, he proceeds to kill off members of the crew, and even his faithful butler, for more spare parts. Finally, the monster turns on the Baron, and they are both killed in a blast of radioactive steam from the reactor. After the reactor is shut down and the radiation falls to safe levels, the monster's bandages are removed, and an audio tape is played back in which the Baron reveals that he had intended for the monster to be a perpetuation of himself, because he was the last of the Frankenstein family line.

Cast
  • Boris Karloff as Baron Victor von Frankenstein
  • Tom Duggan as Mike Shaw
  • Jana Lund as Carolyn Hayes
  • Donald Barry as Douglas Row
  • Charlotte Austin as Judy Stevens
  • Irwin Berke as Inspector Raab
  • Rudolph Anders as Wilhelm Gottfried
  • Norbert Schiller as Schutter, Frankenstein's butler
  • John Dennis as Morgan Haley
  • Mike Lane as Hans Himmler / The Monster
Production
Alternative titles during pre-production included Frankenstein's Castle, Frankenstein 1960, and Frankenstein 1975. Shot in a mere eight days on a modest budget, the film was finally titled Frankenstein 1970 to add a futuristic touch. The film's main set was borrowed from the 1958 movie Too Much, Too Soon.

The film was released through Allied Artists, who bought the film for $250,000.[1]

Home media
For several years, only a pan and scan VHS tape of the film was available. In October 2009, Warner Brothers released the DVD Karloff & Lugosi Horror Classics, which includes Frankenstein 1970 as one of its four films, and features an audio commentary by one of the film's co-stars, Charlotte Austin, and fan historians Tom Weaver and Bob Burns.

Doctor Omega

A Frankenstein movie, starring Boris Karloff, that I have known about since I was a kid, yet I have yet to see it. And have never really been in a rush to do so.

I guess it is because, even as a kid, I could tell that it was a sad rehash of past glories. Karloff was not the monster, but the scientist. It clearly was not part of those wonderful Universal ones.

It just did not promise to be very good.

The complete lack of availability or television screenings never helped much either!

Having said all that, I am ready to watch it sometime soon, at long last - and must admit to some curiosity about what the film will be like.

I have posted the trailer and Dante thing here, but have not watched them. I want to watch this film cold, one day soon.

So many cinematic curios that I have known of for decades, but have yet to see.... :emoji_alien:

Doctor Omega

0.jpg

Terror in the Aisles is a 1984 American documentary film about horror films featuring clips from Friday the 13th I and/or II, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Halloween I and II, Jaws 1 and 2, Alien, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Shining and Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho and The Birds. The film is hosted by Donald Pleasence and Nancy Allen. The original music score is composed by John Beal.

Plot
Director Andrew J. Kuehn has excerpted brief segments of terror and suspense in a wide variety of horror films and strung them together with added commentary, as well as some enacted narrative, to create a compilation of fright-inducing effects. Halloween actor Donald Pleasence and Dressed to Kill star Nancy Allen provide the commentary on topics such as "sex and terror" (Dressed to Kill, Klute, Ms. 45, The Seduction, When a Stranger Calls), loathsome villains (Dracula, Frankenstein, Friday the 13th Part 2 (although, surprisingly, not its 1980 original), Halloween I & II, Marathon Man, Nighthawks, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Touch of Evil, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Vice Squad, Wait Until Dark, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?), "natural terror" (Alligator, The Birds, Frogs, Jaws 1 & 2, Nightwing), the occult (An American Werewolf in London, Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, The Omen, Carrie, The Shining) and spoofs (Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Saturday the 14th). In one segment of the anthology, legendary filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock presents his concepts of how to create suspense in a clip from Alfred Hitchcock: Men Who Made The Movies.

Release
The film was released theatrically in the United States by Universal Pictures in October 1984. It grossed $10,004,817 at the box office.[1]

The film was released on VHS and CED Videodiscs by MCA Home Video in 1985.[2] The film's first time release to digital format was as a Special Feature on the 30th Anniversary Edition of Halloween II (1981) Blu-ray.[3] On October 15, 2012, Universal released the film on DVD as part of its Universal Vault Series.

The film's DVD and Blu-ray release is presented in the same 1.85:1 aspect ratio of its original theatrical release, which also cropped any segments from other films that were originally produced using the anamorphic process.

chainsaw_metal1

A 1991 documentary about horror films, narrated by Christopher Lee and featuring interviews with notable horror icons such as John Carpenter, Robert Bloch, Dario Argento, Clive Barker, and many more. My mom found this on VHS in a bin in a video shop, and I wore it out. I watched it constantly.

Doctor Omega

lee-dracula-4-1974.jpg

In the absence of any DARK UNIVERSE any time soon, let's take a stroll down memory lane with HORROR MOVIE BOOKS, common and rare......

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

s-l1600.jpg

This one actually had two different covers over the years.

Below is the other one.....

s-l500 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

00.jpg

The Devil Bat is a 1940 black-and-white American horror film produced by Producers Releasing Corporation (PRC) and directed by Jean Yarborough. The film stars Bela Lugosi[4] along with Suzanne Kaaren, Guy Usher, Yolande Mallott and the comic team of Dave O'Brien and Donald Kerr as the protagonists. It was the first horror film from PRC.

Although described as a sequel, PRC's 1946 film Devil Bat's Daughter has no actors, characters or close plot elements from the 1940 film.

Plot

Foreword

"All Heathville loved Dr. Paul Carruthers,
their kindly village doctor.
No one suspected that in his home
laboratory on a hillside over-
looking the magnificent estate
of Martin Heath, the doctor
found time to conduct certain
private experiments — weird,
terrifying experiments."

The story involves a small town cosmetic company chemist Dr. Paul Carruthers (Bela Lugosi) who is upset at his wealthy employers, because he feels they have denied him his due share of company success. To get revenge, he breeds giant bats. He then conditions them to kill those wearing a special after-shave lotion he has concocted. He cleverly distributes the lotion to his enemies as a "test" product.

Once they have applied the lotion, the chemist then releases his Devil Bats in the night, which kill his two former partners and three members of their families. A hot shot big city reporter, Johnny Layton (Dave O'Brien) gets assigned by his editor to cover and help solve the murders. He and his bumbling photographer "One-Shot" McGuire (Donald Kerr) begin to unwind the mystery with some comic sidelights. The mad chemist is done in by his own shaving lotion, and by his own creation—the dreaded Devil Bat.

Cast
Production

PRC was a young studio when it planned to enter the horror film genre, which had been neglected by the major studios during 1937 and 1938. Lugosi was beginning a comeback when he signed a contract on October 19, 1940, with PRC's Sigmund Neufeld to star in the Poverty Row studio's first horror film.

The shooting of the film began a little more than one week later.[7] PRC was known for shooting its films quickly and cheaply, but for endowing them with a plentiful amount of horror,[8] and The Devil Bat established this modus operandi.

Current status

Following its theatrical release, The Devil Bat fell into public domain and since the advent of home video, has been released in countless truncated, poorly edited video and DVD editions.

In 1990, the film was restored from original 35mm elements by Bob Furmanek and released on laserdisc by Lumivision. In 2008, Furmanek supplied his original elements to Legend Films, which performed a new restoration and also created a computer-colorized version. Both the restored black-and-white and colorized versions were subsequently released on DVD.

Reception

The film was re-released in 1945 on a double bill with Man Made Monster. The Los Angeles Times described the duo as "two of the scariest features on the market."

In the book Poverty Row Horrors! (1993), Tom Weaver judges The Devil Bat as one of Lugosi's best films for the poverty row studios.

Sequel

In 2015 Indie filmmaker Ted Moehring directed the sequel Revenge of the Devil Bat,[12] which stars Lynn Lowry, Ruby Larocca and veteran actors Gary Kent, John Link, Dick Dyszel, George Stover and Conrad Brooks.

Doctor Omega

MV5BNjA1ODM0MTg0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTIzNjAyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Although described as a sequel, PRC's 1946 film Devil Bat's Daughter has no actors, characters or close plot elements from the 1940 film.

Devil Bat's Daughter is a 1946 American horror film. It stars Rosemary La Planche, who was crowned Miss America 1941.

It was a sequel to The Devil Bat (1940).

It marked the film debut of Michael Hale, a former ad man for the Los Angeles Times, who was married to one of Hedda Hopper's assistants.

Plot

A beautiful young woman is found in a trance. A taxi driver claims to have taken her to "the Caruthers place," so a police officer and neighbor Dr. Eliot take her there.

They learn, with help from psychiatrist Cliff Morris, that the woman is a Nina MacCarron, and that her father, the scientist Caruthers, once conducted experiments on bats that led people to calling him a vampire.

As strange events occur leading to suspicion that Nina is mad, Ellen Morris, unhappy wife of Cliff, takes an interest in her, as does Ted Masters, who returns from the Army and falls in love with Nina. Together they prove that Cliff Morris is behind a diabolical plot.

Cast

Nearly ten minutes from this very obscure film.....

Doctor Omega

Sequel

In 2015 Indie filmmaker Ted Moehring directed the sequel Revenge of the Devil Bat,[12] which stars Lynn Lowry, Ruby Larocca and veteran actors Gary Kent, John Link, Dick Dyszel, George Stover and Conrad Brooks.

Revenge of the Devil Bat 2015 Teaser Trailer

"Revenge of the Devil Bat" is a modern day sequel to the popular 1940's Bela Lugosi movie "The Devil Bat". Starring John Link, Richard Dyszel, Conrad Brooks, Shosanna Hill, Cedric Crouch, Ruby Larocca, and many more. Written and directed by Ted Moehring.